T Nation

Recurring Back Injury?

Hi,

I recently pulled (while sprinting) what felt like a muscle somewhere in the lower back/glute region. Felt like a sudden/sharp pull at first (mostly in the lower back area), which started to ease up a bit as I stretched post workout. Which I’m beginning to think was a mistake.

I believe it may have been due to an inadequate warm up, and general stress/fatigue levels. I had felt this pull once last year, again while sprinting. Did some lower ab exercises and stretching just to see if everything was A-OK, it was. Several years ago, I pulled my back quite seriously. But the funny thing is, I’ve been able to squat and deadlift more ever since! They say, once a muscle gets torn or injured, and if proper healing is allowed, it comes back stronger than before. Thoughts?

I don’t understand what’s going on with my back. It seems my belly’s starting to protrude more and the lumbar curve in my lower back is increasing. I don’t feel very comfortable walking or running fast at the moment. In fact, I haven’t ran since. Been 4 days now. I still have range of motion, there’s no pain, but it just feels fragile. I.e. After I get up from the dinner table or the couch/bed after watching TV/gaming, it feels stiff.

I BP 100 kg for reps. I squat over 120 kg for reps. My best deadlift, raw, has been 170 kg. I’ve never felt the need to wear a belt.

What’s going on here? Weak stabilizer muscles? Inadequate ab training? Bad posture? I’m just 32… this is starting to bug me.

I’d be most grateful to read your thoughts and recommendations, and perhaps share your experiences as well. I don’t want to go around seeing orthopedists, as all they do is recommend some expensive tests, and prescribe a crapload of meds/painkillers. Speaking of which, I do take a painkiller (Paracetamol) and muscle relaxant (has the former + Orphenadrine Citrate) once to twice daily. Seems to relax the lower back region for a while, but after a few hours (especially during inactivity), the discomfort comes back. I also heat up the region before applying MOOV… it’s one of those thick greasy creams that provide instant relief by providing a deep and warm penetrating effect. Smells real minty! (Similar to Deep Heat, Bengay etc)

maybe you have a short tight QL on both sides?

i hear that multifidus (deeper lumbar muscles) need to be specifically trained to work after injury or they kinda stay atrophied.

maybe you use your short tight QL rather than your glutes / hammies. so prone to lumbar overuse injury. if you lie on your stomach and extend your leg back (raising it off the ground slightly) do you initiate the movement with your lumbar back or your glutes? glutes should fire first.

but i don’t know.

I’d say my lumbar region first.

I also seem to feel discomfort at times when I wake up… in my hip joint area.

What do you recommend? Reverse hyper extension once to twice a week? No heavy weights for a while? Stretching every now and then? How about limiting caffeine intake? I gather it’s bad in the sense that it tends to overuse and dry up tendons/joints and ligaments.

99% of back problems can be solved by activating and strengthening your glutes.

your glutes are weak so your back muscles are overworked. It may SEEM like you need to strengthen your back, but you actually need to strengthen your glutes so your back can chill out and the glutes function as the prime mover for your back and not your poor, overworked back muscles.

Strengthen dem glutes!

and core. Do more core work. Do it every day.

Yezzir Chief! Will do!

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
99% of back problems can be solved by activating and strengthening your glutes.

your glutes are weak so your back muscles are overworked. It may SEEM like you need to strengthen your back, but you actually need to strengthen your glutes so your back can chill out and the glutes function as the prime mover for your back and not your poor, overworked back muscles.

Strengthen dem glutes!

and core. Do more core work. Do it every day.[/quote]

To add on this excellent advice, I feel your protruding belly is definitely tight hips, a tell tale sign. Once your hips get tight, it really opens you up to lower back injuries.

Do this warm up daily, especially before you train.

do this, as well as strenghtening your glutes. I recently started saide lying clams, and they made an immediate difference in my glute medius pain, that I think you’re experiencing as well.

Do 100 of these everyday, feel free to split them up. Before workouts is fine.

Also, as soon as possible stop taking the painkillers, what those do to yout kidneys is just scarey. I was semi addicted to pain killers for a time, now I’m terrified for my poor kidneys.