Recreational Drugs and Lifting?

Chronic MDMA use (even a few instances) can have long lasting effects on brain health. Worrying about it fuckin’ up your lifts for the week shouldn’t be your major concern.

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Stan Darsh wrote:
Ive worked out high (bud) and it was good. Better focus for the first 25minutes in the gym then you get really tired. Mind muscle connection is better but i would never squat or deadlift high. Only cable and dumbbell stuff.
Doesnt make you weaker surprisingly. Makes you forget what rep your on. [/quote]

I think it varies from person to person, because it made me weak as hell. A buddy of mine tried to bench in my basement… it was bad. I knew a guy who loved to smoke before he worked out for basically the same reasons you stated.

Not to mention that there would’ve been no way that I would even fathom being INSIDE a GYM, where there’s PEOPLE. They would all know that I was stoned. I’d probably sit inside a bathroom stall and wait until the gym was practically empty.[/quote]

For me most highs are energetic so it doesnt make weak but as you said everyone reacts differently. Some people just get super paranoid and wish they were a turtle. If you do your workout and focus only on what you have to do no one will even realize your high. Talking is give away #1 so dont go with your buddies. At least for me cuz when i say something high you’ll be like lolwut?

[quote]imhungry wrote:

Not to mention that there would’ve been no way that I would even fathom being INSIDE a GYM, where there’s PEOPLE. They would all know that I was stoned. I’d probably sit inside a bathroom stall and wait until the gym was practically empty.[/quote]

ahahahaha this is SO true.

Pot makes… ehem… someone I know lifts much less weight. But it’s mostly do to a lack of balance and coordination. This person I know can lift just as much weight for a slightly more volume for the high rep stuff because of the higher pain tolerance.

Not recent, but I will admit to taking a few swigs of single-barrel bourbon before hitting the gym to lift. Years ago I was working full-time and going to school part-time. Took organic chem and some bio class that semester. I used to hit the bottle a little after my Mon night chem lecture occasionally. Gym was 3 mins away from school. Then I’d go lift or swim laps for an hour or so… I won’t say they were the most productive sessions, but I was so stressed that I was just trying to take the edge off via the booze and the training. Never really noticed a change in my strength.

I have lifted high once in a while. Concentration was good. No change in strength with that either. Also makes the commercial gym scene that much more hilarious.

No way that I could take MDMA or snort coke and lift.

Certainly have lifted while taking Rx painkillers. Just barreled ahead, don’t feel anything. Probably not the best idea.

[quote]veggiestrong wrote:

No way that I could take MDMA or snort coke and lift.

[quote]

In the late 80’s I used to get up, eat a grapefruit, do a line of meth, then go to the gym.

That didn’t last very long. My nervous system was shot within a week.

a little weed after a workout is great man. makes you hungry as fuck, relax the muscles, and get a good sleep. oh yeah, and you get to be high too

^ that’s what I’m talking about haha

[quote]dianab wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]dianab wrote:

[quote]Power Tower wrote:

[quote]Sigma wrote:
This reminds me of the scene in American Beauty when Lester is smoking a joint while working out.[/quote]

Best fucking movie of all time. Period.[/quote]

LOL, good movie but for reals, who could train while stoned?
I golfed once after smoking a fatty and I got so bored I lost my clubs somewhere. I wouldn’t take the chance of being that distracted with a loaded bar over my head or on my back.[/quote]

How do you lose your clubs while playing golf?[/quote]

I dunno, put them down somewhere and wandered off.
Most boring game on the planet if you ask me.[/quote]

No offense, but if you got so stoned from some fucking weed that you set you your golf clubs down and wandered off in the middle of a round, you probably aren’t compatible with weed. That sounds like something that I MIGHT do if I had a head full of acid, in which case I probably would never make it anywhere near the course.

I’ve never felt a better mind-muscle connection than when I was high- or maybe rather I should say I learned a lot of my kinestethic sense while lifting high. That is, after the first time I tried to lift high and thought 135lb cleans was the heaviest weight…

i’ve pretty much given up recreational drugs since discovering the gym (caffeine and nicotine exempted).

i was prescribed cold and flu tablets with pseudo ephedrine that got me enjoying varied intensity conditioning with varied intensity techno / acid house dance music blasting in my ears, though. took me a while to give that up (the conditioning work, i mean).

trying out that style of music for my lifting now. think i’m getting some kind of flashback effect that is helping my lifting, but not sure. placebo response is still a response, dammit.

i’d kinda like to try lifting on amphetamine (my rec drug of choice) minus the mushrooms (flying bar trying to kill me? - no thanks). but… i really do feel much better (and richer) for laying off that stuff. and burnout, yeah. for every high there is a low… i don’t want to go back to those lows. no thanks. have enough trouble recovering as is without totally burning myself out / injuring myself.

Happy 420 bishes!

Just pulled out an 8 lbs. pork shoulder. Pulled pork tacos n bluntz today. The dank kind.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]dianab wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]dianab wrote:

[quote]Sigma wrote:
This reminds me of the scene in American Beauty when Lester is smoking a joint while working out.[/quote]

I golfed once after smoking a fatty and I got so bored I lost my clubs somewhere. I wouldn’t take the chance of being that distracted with a loaded bar over my head or on my back.[/quote]

No offense, but if you got so stoned from some fucking weed that you set you your golf clubs down and wandered off in the middle of a round, you probably aren’t compatible with weed. That sounds like something that I MIGHT do if I had a head full of acid, in which case I probably would never make it anywhere near the course.[/quote]

Well, if this was recent I’d agree but I would lean towards more being incompatible with golf.

I figure weed as a post workout sup is awesome, it increases appetite and if you surround yourself with good food you will eat more chicken and lentils with oil and brown rice than seems plausible and it let’s you sleep like a rock.

At least that’s the word on the street.

I have heard that weed is great for focus and helps fight off the nausea of a heavy workout.

HAHA This is a GREAT topic.

I can tell you from personal experience that most of the resident athletes in weightlifting at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs take part in recreational use of cocaine, speed, MDMA, and weed quite frequently. Some of them use before lifting, though most just party on weekends.

There was a fiasco about 10 years back and the whole program was threatened with getting booted from the center because of a cocaine party in the dorms. If any of you know anything about US weightlifting in the last decade, I’m talking about some of the “best and brightest” young athletes, including numerous national champions and one Jr. World Champion, but the whole thing was kept as a dirty little secret.

So yes, high level lifting and drug use go together like Oprah and cake. As for me personally? I don’t use recreationally, but have had some memorable experiences with 5-Meo DMT among other life changing substances.

[quote]twiceborn wrote:

I can tell you from personal experience that most of the resident athletes in weightlifting at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs take part in recreational use of cocaine, speed, MDMA, and weed quite frequently. Some of them use before lifting, though most just party on weekends.

There was a fiasco about 10 years back and the whole program was threatened with getting booted from the center because of a cocaine party in the dorms. If any of you know anything about US weightlifting in the last decade, I’m talking about some of the “best and brightest” young athletes, including numerous national champions and one Jr. World Champion, but the whole thing was kept as a dirty little secret.

So yes, high level lifting and drug use go together like Oprah and cake. As for me personally? I don’t use recreationally, but have had some memorable experiences with 5-Meo DMT among other life changing substances. [/quote]

Cool story.
Though, I assume, highest level athletes are on the juice. When I’m on, I can get away with pretty much anything too, eh

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]dianab wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]dianab wrote:

[quote]Sigma wrote:

No offense, but if you got so stoned from some fucking weed that you set you your golf clubs down and wandered off in the middle of a round, you probably aren’t compatible with weed. That sounds like something that I MIGHT do if I had a head full of acid, in which case I probably would never make it anywhere near the course.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever done something like that on acid.

I know a really HUGE, STRONG guy who (for a while, but no longer) was taking Oxy before lifting.

Again, he does no longer, but just throwing that out there for consideration.

[quote]twiceborn wrote:

So yes, high level lifting and drug use go together like Oprah and cake. As for me personally? I don’t use recreationally, but have had some memorable experiences with 5-Meo DMT among other life changing substances. [/quote]

No sure how this is any different from any other scenario where people are living a work hard/play hard lifestyle.