T Nation

Recreational Activities & Powerlifting

This week I played dodgeball for one hour and I mean hard running around everywhere. I also played backyard football for two hours. Also I am in a wsfsb with a 3 day template. You think I did too much that it will comprehend my training?

no.

[quote]motherofpearl wrote:
This week I played dodgeball for one hour and I mean hard running around everywhere. I also played backyard football for two hours. Also I am in a wsfsb with a 3 day template. You think I did too much that it will comprehend my training?[/quote]

^NO^

Sounds more like you got some of your cardio work in this week.

doing too much??, there is no such thing, there is only not enough recovery, poor nutrition, not enought sleep.

and with a 3 day template you will have tons of room for other activities.

just don’t have a football game 30 mins before your training session.

thing is dodgeball is like pushing the prowler. I am the aggressive dodgeball type so I feel my legs burn.

[quote]motherofpearl wrote:
thing is dodgeball is like pushing the prowler. I am the aggressive dodgeball type so I feel my legs burn.[/quote]

well i’m a heavy guy, and my legs burn while doing mmm well everything.

You’ll be fine, well my advice would be not to play on the day you train your squat or your DL, other than that you’ll be fine. (supossing you eat and rest correctly)

If you aren’t killing yourself in the gym and it’s only three days a week, you’ll be ok. What I’d actually be worried about is lifting the day after when you’re stiff and (possibly) sore. When you’re doing more than just lifting, the warmup becomes more important to prevent non-chronic injuries.

If you’re not a couple of weeks out from a meet and timing to peak for it then do whatever. Even if you have an off training day or two, so what?

nothing will comprehend your training except maybe another human being.

[quote]MikiB wrote:
nothing will comprehend your training except maybe another human being.[/quote]

Lol, I was waiting for this.

[quote]motherofpearl wrote:
This week I played dodgeball for one hour and I mean hard running around everywhere. I also played backyard football for two hours. Also I am in a wsfsb with a 3 day template. You think I did too much that it will comprehend my training?[/quote]

Yes. You dont see powerlifters playing dodgeball or backyard football for 2 hours do you?

Think about your priorities, and if these activities are up there with powerlifting for you, then make adjustments to your diet/training schedule to minimize the effects.

[quote]dankid wrote:
motherofpearl wrote:
This week I played dodgeball for one hour and I mean hard running around everywhere. I also played backyard football for two hours. Also I am in a wsfsb with a 3 day template. You think I did too much that it will comprehend my training?

Yes. You dont see powerlifters playing dodgeball or backyard football for 2 hours do you?

Think about your priorities, and if these activities are up there with powerlifting for you, then make adjustments to your diet/training schedule to minimize the effects.[/quote]

I do, I’ve seen them. I’m not saying there is a dodgeball league for powerlifters, but I’m not sure how some sprints and such would hurt someone.

[quote]dankid wrote:
motherofpearl wrote:
This week I played dodgeball for one hour and I mean hard running around everywhere. I also played backyard football for two hours. Also I am in a wsfsb with a 3 day template. You think I did too much that it will comprehend my training?

Yes. You dont see powerlifters playing dodgeball or backyard football for 2 hours do you?

Think about your priorities, and if these activities are up there with powerlifting for you, then make adjustments to your diet/training schedule to minimize the effects.[/quote]

the football thing is now and then but dodgeball is every friday.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
dankid wrote:
motherofpearl wrote:
This week I played dodgeball for one hour and I mean hard running around everywhere. I also played backyard football for two hours. Also I am in a wsfsb with a 3 day template. You think I did too much that it will comprehend my training?

Yes. You dont see powerlifters playing dodgeball or backyard football for 2 hours do you?

Think about your priorities, and if these activities are up there with powerlifting for you, then make adjustments to your diet/training schedule to minimize the effects.

I do, I’ve seen them. I’m not saying there is a dodgeball league for powerlifters, but I’m not sure how some sprints and such would hurt someone.[/quote]

Well assuming that my diet and everthing else is in cheak why would defranco say train2 days a week if your in a sport and personaly I think football practice for 2 hours is just as demanding as 45 minutes as dodgeball. I mean I don’t just sprint five yards. I might sptint ten yards fall to avoid ball get a ball and run as close to the person and throw a ball at them then backpedal back as fast as I can so I don’t get hit. It the only times I get to rest is when I do not have a ball. Like I said I play differntly than other people. Most people wait to get a ball then maybe run throw and then just dodge some balls as standing in the back. I mean in defranco’s POST SEASON condtioning and speed training you have a linear speed day. I pretty sure the volume of running for dodgeball is about the same as volume of defrancos linear speed. On top that he had a 3 day template.

[quote]motherofpearl wrote:
Well assuming that my diet and everthing else is in cheak why would defranco say train2 days a week if your in a sport and personaly I think football practice for 2 hours is just as demanding as 45 minutes as dodgeball. I mean I don’t just sprint five yards. I might sptint ten yards fall to avoid ball get a ball and run as close to the person and throw a ball at them then backpedal back as fast as I can so I don’t get hit. It the only times I get to rest is when I do not have a ball. Like I said I play differntly than other people. Most people wait to get a ball then maybe run throw and then just dodge some balls as standing in the back. I mean in defranco’s POST SEASON condtioning and speed training you have a linear speed day. I pretty sure the volume of running for dodgeball is about the same as volume of defrancos linear speed. On top that he had a 3 day template.[/quote]

Im not sure if you are asking a question here, or if you’ve already made up your mind. You know your body better than anyone on here, so just stick with what you are doing and make sure to eat enough. But if you aren’t making gains, then you need to think about your priorities and adjust accordingly.

[quote]dankid wrote:
motherofpearl wrote:
Well assuming that my diet and everthing else is in cheak why would defranco say train2 days a week if your in a sport and personaly I think football practice for 2 hours is just as demanding as 45 minutes as dodgeball. I mean I don’t just sprint five yards. I might sptint ten yards fall to avoid ball get a ball and run as close to the person and throw a ball at them then backpedal back as fast as I can so I don’t get hit. It the only times I get to rest is when I do not have a ball. Like I said I play differntly than other people. Most people wait to get a ball then maybe run throw and then just dodge some balls as standing in the back. I mean in defranco’s POST SEASON condtioning and speed training you have a linear speed day. I pretty sure the volume of running for dodgeball is about the same as volume of defrancos linear speed. On top that he had a 3 day template.

Im not sure if you are asking a question here, or if you’ve already made up your mind. You know your body better than anyone on here, so just stick with what you are doing and make sure to eat enough. But if you aren’t making gains, then you need to think about your priorities and adjust accordingly.[/quote]

Well more like a question but the thing is I want to keep making gains and proubly would keep making gains even playing dodgeball etc but I want to know if it even stalls gains a little?

[quote]motherofpearl wrote:

Well more like a question but the thing is I want to keep making gains and proubly would keep making gains even playing dodgeball etc but I want to know if it even stalls gains a little?[/quote]

The answer is it could. You’ll just have to try and see.

[quote]motherofpearl wrote:

Well more like a question but the thing is I want to keep making gains and proubly would keep making gains even playing dodgeball etc but I want to know if it even stalls gains a little?[/quote]

Come on, man up! A little extra-curricular is not going to hurt anything. I’ve been running 2-3 times/week the last 5 months, still gaining strength, and I’m not a genetic marvel. You’ll be fine.

It all depends. If you have been doing stuff like that all along, it’s probably no biggee. But if you are tossing in something new and playing hard, it might be a problem. For me, if I toss in somethign that’s a stretch for me these days- like playing football, softball, or anything involving running- I can count on getting hurt and not being able to lift right for a while. On the other, things like moving dirt/rocks in my yard, and walking for miles and miles are things I do all the time and they don’t really impact my lifting.