Recoverying From Surgery

In August of this year I suffered a Perforated colon. I underwent surgery to remove the perforated portion . I had an ostomy that I knew would be reversed in three months. The week of Thanksgiving I had my second surgery to “hook everything back up.” I developed a hematoma that had to be opened. The surgeon opened a 5 cm by 9cm incision. I am recovering that procedure. I am using a diet that John Berardi prepared that consists of about 270 grams of protein a day. No one in the medical community has discussed nutrition with me. Don’t I need the addition protein to heal? Any suggestions?

Hey, there, DC! Welcome to T-Nation.

You may have stumbled on it accidentally, but JB’s diet is a good choice.

• To begin with, I like the fact that he recommends green veggies or fruit with every meal. For you, a wide variety is important. Fresh or frozen, not canned.

• Eating smaller meals every few hours will provide your body with a constant flow of nutrition. 6 meals, smaller amounts, every 3 hours or so.

• He believes in people getting in their good fats; monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats (EFAs) and saturated, all in equal proportions; i.e., 33% each. Fats are important, as they’re used to make the membranes of cells. The brain, too, is made up of a high percentage of fat, as is the protective coating around all the nerves in the body; i.e., the myelin sheath. Make sure you’re getting away from those bad fats.

• And finally, yes, protein is important to healing, but it doesn’t mean you need to increase your intake beyond a gram per pound. It more important that you eat smaller amounts more frequently and that you’re eating high quality protein every meal.

Please do make sure you’re getting a good multivitamin in addition. Repairs in the body proceed up to the point that a required substance (vitmain, mineral or amino acid) turns up missing. I define a good multivitamin as something you need to take more than once a day. A 3 time a day multi is best. With vitamins and minerals, it’s better to take smaller amounts more frequently, as some of the vitamins can’t be stored.

So, yes, in response to your question, I think JB’s diet is an excellent choice post-surgery!!! And I wish you all the best in your recovery. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Hopefully someone qualified to discuss your situation will come along, but I believe that yes, you do need to take nutritional steps to aid your recovery.

Things like zinc and vitamin C come to mind.

Have they at least discussed issues such as how much fibre you should or should not be eating?

Fiber.
My surgeon did discuss fiber. She suggested Metamucil every day. I try for 30 to 35 grams of fiber a cay.