Recovery Time

Well I started up westside program this past monday with ME squat day monday, ME bench day tuesday, wednesday off, DE squat day thursday, DE bench day friday, and will be taking today off and tomorrow. However, my legs (hamstrings now to be specific) are still really pretty sore.

Question is, has it taken anyone else up to 5-6 days to recover from just a single workout? I eat a lot and all, and get plenty of protein, so I have no clue why i’m still really pretty sore.

[quote]lifter85 wrote:
Well I started up westside program this past monday with ME squat day monday, ME bench day tuesday, wednesday off, DE squat day thursday, DE bench day friday, and will be taking today off and tomorrow. However, my legs (hamstrings now to be specific) are still really pretty sore.

Question is, has it taken anyone else up to 5-6 days to recover from just a single workout? I eat a lot and all, and get plenty of protein, so I have no clue why i’m still really pretty sore.[/quote]

Sure if I go balls out and do crazy breathing squats and other thing sure its taken a week to be healed. Did you over do the DE day?? If so if you up the work on the DE day then you back down on the ME day.

The beauty about westside Listen to your body and adjust from there.

Phill

I would like to reply to your post about recovery time.

I have not done any west side programs, so I cannot comment on it.

But in my experiance of lifting, recovery is dependent on the person, situation, nutrition and training.

This means it can very from person to person and from week to week. It is not unusual for me to add an extra day or 2 between workouts. It is not ideal, but in all honestly the gains are much better.

I would strongly suggest keeping a training diary, and recovery diary. In Ian Kings book get buffed 1 & 2 he discusses this very thouroughly. I would strongly recommend reading tudor o. bompas training theory and methodoligy book. It is a very difficult book to read. But the wealth of knowledge you will get out of it is years ahead of 99% of the people who lift. The book also has a few charts and graphs to make copies of, to help record recovery.

IMHO: You can ask about recovery in a post and will get many a differant replies. Very mixed and very biased. It’s like comparing apples to oranges & republicans to democrats.

It can sometimes take 1-4 days between workouts to recover. MY advice. Keep a log of each workout. Weight you used, and reps completed and how you felt after workout and how long it took to do workout. If you improve in weight and or reps from workout to workout. Your doing good. But if you are loosing gains something is wrong.

I hope this helps.

Feel free to PM me anytime