T Nation

Recovery Time from Quad Injury?

I was on the receiving end of about 5 or 6 low kicks, 2 to 3 inches above the knee on the outer side of the left leg.

My partner is faster than I am…

My doctor says that I have slightly ruptured the aponeurosis. I’m guessing the muscle involved is the vastus lateralis.

I was prescribed :

• Serrapeptase as an anti-edematous and for it’s anti-inflammatory benefits
  • a muscle relaxant
  • a painkiller
  • Bandage imbibed with a lot of 70° Alcohol every couple of hours to reduce the swelling

I can limp/walk without too much pain, I haven’t taken any painkillers yet and I don’t think I will need to.

Anybody else ever had experience with this ? Any pointers ? Stuff to do, not to do…

Get faster so you don’t get kicked.

Rest up and take it easy for a week or two. Ice it 2 or 3 times a day plus do what you were prescribed.

[quote]k.elkouhen wrote:
I was on the receiving end of about 5 or 6 low kicks, 2 to 3 inches above the knee on the outer side of the left leg.

My doctor says that I have slightly ruptured the aponeurosis. I’m guessing the muscle involved is the vastus lateralis.

I was prescribed :

• a muscle relaxant
  • a painkiller
  • Bandage imbibed with a lot of 70Ã?° Alcohol every couple of hours to reduce the swelling

I can limp/walk without too much pain, I haven’t taken any painkillers yet and I don’t think I will need to.

Anybody else ever had experience with this ? Any pointers ? Stuff to do, not to do…

[/quote]

Get better at avoiding the shot. Oh, never play tank with leg kicks. :o)

More to the point, make sure that once you start getting back from it you do “lengthen & strength” i.e., quad stretches so that it has full range of motion and alternate with something like leg extensions then hamstring curls. So stretch, wait a minute (do something else), crank out a set of 5 - 10 extensions, wait, do some curls, repeat 4 times. The idea is to get the full ROM back with a gradual load. This is one of the better protocols I follow post-injury. You are not trying to really overload the muscle, just get it to work right. Start with whatever weight allows you to get full ROM. If you cannot get full ROM, you are not doing it right. ROM + load is what you are after. Oh, the only use I have for machines is like this – recovery from an injury. That’s why they were invented in the first place.

What I found is that if I trash something, I usually have a good idea how long it will take to heal, e.g. 5 days or a couple of weeks. How to transition from doing zero to movement? In the case of a lower limb injury this is hard since bodyweight might be high enough to re-injure it. So once you know it is better, start this. Shouldn’t take more than a few sessions before it feels pretty good. If it sucks the first day or you just aren’t sure, this also is a great way to get feedback on whether the muscle is healed yet.

Hope you get better. If you decide to try it, let me know how it works for you. I’d be curious to hear your observations.

– jj

[quote]jj-dude wrote:
k.elkouhen wrote:

I was prescribed :

• a muscle relaxant
  • a painkiller
  • Bandage imbibed with a lot of 70Ã??Ã?° Alcohol every couple of hours to reduce the swelling

Get better at avoiding the shot. Oh, never play tank with leg kicks. :o)

More to the point, make sure that once you start getting back from it you do “lengthen & strength” i.e., quad stretches so that it has full range of motion and alternate with something like leg extensions then hamstring curls. So stretch, wait a minute (do something else), crank out a set of 5 - 10 extensions, wait, do some curls, repeat 4 times. The idea is to get the full ROM back with a gradual load. This is one of the better protocols I follow post-injury. You are not trying to really overload the muscle, just get it to work right. Start with whatever weight allows you to get full ROM. If you cannot get full ROM, you are not doing it right. ROM + load is what you are after. Oh, the only use I have for machines is like this – recovery from an injury. That’s why they were invented in the first place.

What I found is that if I trash something, I usually have a good idea how long it will take to heal, e.g. 5 days or a couple of weeks. How to transition from doing zero to movement? In the case of a lower limb injury this is hard since bodyweight might be high enough to re-injure it. So once you know it is better, start this. Shouldn’t take more than a few sessions before it feels pretty good. If it sucks the first day or you just aren’t sure, this also is a great way to get feedback on whether the muscle is healed yet.

Hope you get better. If you decide to try it, let me know how it works for you. I’d be curious to hear your observations.

– jj[/quote]

I feel like it will be a week before I can start doing some light stuff. The doctor talked about a couple of weeks. So we’ll see.

As for speed, my reflexes are normal. I guess I’m bad at anticipating. Maybe I don’t really SEE what’s happening. I’m dyslexic so that is a factor.