T Nation

Recovery Issues for 35+ Crowd Using the Full Body Template

Has anyone had recovery issues using the full body template. I am 38 and seeking opinions/experiences using this template from a recovery standpoint. Thanks

Which full body template?

Original one in 2nd Ed of 531 book

Are you eating for recovery? Does your conditioning suck? Are you getting enough rest? I’m 38 but haven’t done the full body template, but I imagine the principles and suggestions regarding recovery are the same. You should eat the same amount on your “off” days as you do on you workout days. If you’re already doing that, eat more. If you’re trying to lose weight for whatever reason using the full body template, you’re going to run into recovery issues. My suggestion would be to lower your TM to fit your goals if weight loss is one of them; of course I’m only speculating. If you’re doing the full body template for growth and/or strength, are you eating enough for that goal? Perhaps you could try spacing your workouts out even more. You do not necessarily need to train on a 7 day week, you could space things out like working out every third day to allow for more recovery.

Something like this:

MON: 5/3/1
TUE: Conditioning
WED: off
THR: 5/3/1
FRI: Conditioning
SAT: off
SUN: 5/3/1
MON: Conditioning
TUE: off

My point is that you do not have to get all your workouts in a 7 day week to allow for more recovery. You could switch to 2x2x2 as well using the full body template; it all depends on your goals.

I’m 57 have been training for years. My conditioning and strength are fine for my age for someone who still trains.
I find full body templates difficulty if you are moving any real weight with age. The number of warm up sets and time to train is just to draining .
What I find works is pairing light movements with the main exercise.
So I do band pull aparts and face pulls between squat sets, 10-15 reps of one or the other between each set for a total of 100-150.
On bench day , I do chin/ pull-ups between sets and some ab,low back.
DL day some push-ups between sets,
OHP day is like bench day.
It’s not really a true FB work but I get a bit of everything.
If you make sure to get ab,low back, upper back, and some curls after the main movement most things are worked.
Goood luck and enjoy

The low back is easy stuff, 45 degree back extensions or cable pull through, nothing real heavy or taxing. Abdominal is usually sit-ups or DB side bends.
My introduction to training was the Bill Starr programs from the 1970s in the 1970s. No way I can do that now and recover without a ton of drugs. Not my thing.

Lastly as previously pointed out , I train every other day then take 2 days off at the end of the “week”. So it’s a 10 day week. Conditioning on the non weight training days.

53 years old here. I just keep it as simple as I can with an eye towards RECOVERY.

Monday:
Bench 3/5/1 PR sets
Back Raises 5x10
Leg Raises 5x10

Tuesday:
Agile 8
Recovery Work

Thursday:
Squats 3/5/1 PR sets
Push ups 5x10
Fat Mans 5x10

Friday:
Agile 8
Recovery Work

Monday:
Press 3/5/1 PR sets
Back Raises 5x10
Leg Raises 5x10

Tuesday:
Agile 8
Recovery Work

Thursday:
Deadlift 3/5/1 PR sets
Push ups 5x10
Fat Mans 5x10

Friday:
Agile 8
Recovery Work

I’ve tried other more complex setups but this simple plan yields about the same progress.

Ya I’ve had recovery issues no matter the template, full body or one main lift. It’s always come down to not doing the right things outside the gym. Eating like a puss, not sleeping enough,working long hours, drinking to much booze, stress, all affected my recovery. I’m my own worst enemy. But over the years I’m getting better at making the right choices. It basically comes down to changing the things I can like eating, sleeping etc. And making adjustments around the things I can’t control like working long hours. Also doing something everyday helps like stretching and easy conditioning.
It’s good to keep the blood moving in your legs.

Starting this today. Opinions welcome

Mon, Wed, Thurs- Full body sessions
Tues, Thurs, Sat - Active Recovery

Week 1

Monday

Squat 5-3-1

Circuit 3-5rounds of 10-15 reps on each exercise:
Upper push
Upper pull
Posterior

Wednesday

Bench 5-3-1

Circuit:
Lower push
Upper pull
Weighted Abs
Biceps

Friday

Deadlift 5-3-1

Circuit:
Lower push - Lunge
Upper push- push up variation
Upper pull

Week 2 Monday

Press 5-3-1

Circuit:
Lower push
Upper pull
Weighted Abs - Twist
Biceps

Repeat

Sounds solid, I like and utilize the same rotation of squat then BP,followed by DL then press.
Good luck