Recovery Drinks?

Hi all,

I was wondering what you all thought about recovery drinks for beginners? I guess the underlying question is do I go for actual rest or can I use a recovery drink and push harder throughout the week?

Another guy at the gym hooked me up with some recovery mix that was made by Cytosport (the muscle milk guys) and I tried it tonight to see how I’ll feel tomorrow.

My overall goal is dense muscle, so if good old fashion rest and taking a couple days off a week is best then it is what it is.

So do I push it or not? Just looking for some clarity

Thanks

everyone needs pwo nutrition. I haven’t been able to make a Biotest purchase, but they get rave reviews. However cytosport is one of the better ones you can get at your local gnc.

I used to down a mixture of gatorade and whey PWO. Then I switched to the AD and haven’t noticed too much of a drop-off.

I don’t think they make that much of a difference. I understand scientifically, they do, but I don’t think the carryover is that much. Spend your money on food- I am.

I’ve had really good results with Surge, a reduced amount of DOMS, etc, but I think it probably varies from person to person. However, a recovery drink is not a substitute for proper rest. It will help you get back to the gym quicker and push harder, but if you’re trying to gain muscle, you need to rest. Lifting stimulates muscle growth by causing micro-trauma to your muscle tissue, which in turn triggers an adaptive response of adding more muscle.

This adaptive response can only happen if you give it the time and fuel to happen. In my experience, a PWO drink helps with getting some fuel to your muscles immediately after a workout, and a properly planned program should have rest days/deload periods built into it.

So I’ve done some more reading and it seems like there a few different views as far as Carbohydrate-Protein Ratios… I’ve read support for 2:1 to as much as 4:1. The Cytosport stuff is about 1.5:1, it looks like Surge is a 2:1, anybody ever experimented with this stuff?

Or should I just shut up and buy something? :slight_smile:

[quote]Otep wrote:
I used to down a mixture of gatorade and whey PWO. Then I switched to the AD and haven’t noticed too much of a drop-off.

I don’t think they make that much of a difference. I understand scientifically, they do, but I don’t think the carryover is that much. Spend your money on food- I am.[/quote]

I have been using the gatorade and whey as well since it was suggested to me here and am pretty happy with it. What is AD?

Get some Surge , it has everything mixed and ready to go. Not to mention it tastes damn good. I have the chocolate flavor and i look forward to it after lifting.

[quote]RMorrison wrote:
What is AD?

[/quote]

Anabolic Diet