Recovery and Liking the Exercise

One thing that i’ve always noticed about myself is that i recover easily from training my back but not from upper body pressing. On the same note, i hate pressing exercises but love back training. My favorite exercise is snatch grip barbell rows.

On that exercise i have the ability to literally train it everyday and no matter how hard i train it i’m ready to go again the next day while being stronger. This is what i did this week:

Wed- 5 sets of 3 with 335, then a double with 345, then a double with 350
Thurs-4 sets of 3 with 345, then a single with 355
Fri-5 sets of 3 with 355, then a single with 365
*semi-strict

I’ve done rows for days at a time before this and every time i can add weight everyday. When it comes to pressing exercises however, recovery takes more than a week and i hate doing the lifts, while i love rowing.

I wondered why i can train rows so much and i thought maybe it’s because i like the exercise so much. For the same reason i love curls and can curl 3-4x a week and gain strength. I can do the same with hammer curls, pinwheel curls, reverse curls and nearly every pulling exercise and enjoy doing the movements. I hate pressing and find it hard to progress with those lifts. Anyone else find that recovery is directly related to the amount of love for an exercise?

[quote]deadliftgoal500 wrote:
One thing that i’ve always noticed about myself is that i recover easily from training my back but not from upper body pressing. On the same note, i hate pressing exercises but love back training. My favorite exercise is snatch grip barbell rows.

On that exercise i have the ability to literally train it everyday and no matter how hard i train it i’m ready to go again the next day while being stronger. This is what i did this week:

*semi-strict

I’ve done rows for days at a time before this and every time i can add weight everyday. When it comes to pressing exercises however, recovery takes more than a week and i hate doing the lifts, while i love rowing.

I wondered why i can train rows so much and i thought maybe it’s because i like the exercise so much. For the same reason i love curls and can curl 3-4x a week and gain strength. I can do the same with hammer curls, pinwheel curls, reverse curls and nearly every pulling exercise and enjoy doing the movements. I hate pressing and find it hard to progress with those lifts. Anyone else find that recovery is directly related to the amount of love for an exercise?[/quote]

That sounds like a crazy amount of weight for snap grip rows. Why don’t you just do more weight if that amount is easy enough to do every day? Clearly there is going to be some limiting weight that you won’t be able to do all the time or you’d snatch grip row 1000 lbs, feel me?

Also, you’re probably better at the exercises you like and they are easier for you. I bet you had pressing because you find it so hard. It’s probably not a recovery issue but a motivation issue.

[quote]NAUn wrote:

[quote]deadliftgoal500 wrote:

*semi-strict

I wondered why i can train rows so much and i thought maybe it’s because i like the exercise so much. For the same reason i love curls and can curl 3-4x a week and gain strength. I can do the same with hammer curls, pinwheel curls, reverse curls and nearly every pulling exercise and enjoy doing the movements. I hate pressing and find it hard to progress with those lifts. Anyone else find that recovery is directly related to the amount of love for an exercise?[/quote]

That sounds like a crazy amount of weight for snap grip rows. Why don’t you just do more weight if that amount is easy enough to do every day? Clearly there is going to be some limiting weight that you won’t be able to do all the time or you’d snatch grip row 1000 lbs, feel me?

Also, you’re probably better at the exercises you like and they are easier for you. I bet you had pressing because you find it so hard. It’s probably not a recovery issue but a motivation issue.
[/quote]

The weight i row isnt easy, its actually near max. I like doing heavy triples for rows. But the thing is even if i did 20 sets of rows with rest pause i would be ready to riw again the next day and add weight to the bar.

For pressing you’re probably right, i just hate pressing movements. I love pulling.