Recovering From Inguinal Hernia?

So I just had surgery yesterday on an inguinal hernia in the left side of my groin. This week is shot, and my restrictions are not to lift over 10 pounds for a month. Everyone tells me I need to take that seriously…based on the level of pain I have right now, I believe it.

My question is, how do you guys recover from hernias? What type of workouts do you do after the restrictions are lifted? I know warming up is essential and I have Magnificent Mobility. I’m curious as to what types of workouts people do, and especially how do they approach squatting again.

Thanks for any replies.

[quote]Shiggy wrote:
So I just had surgery yesterday on an inguinal hernia in the left side of my groin. This week is shot, and my restrictions are not to lift over 10 pounds for a month. Everyone tells me I need to take that seriously…based on the level of pain I have right now, I believe it.

My question is, how do you guys recover from hernias? What type of workouts do you do after the restrictions are lifted? I know warming up is essential and I have Magnificent Mobility. I’m curious as to what types of workouts people do, and especially how do they approach squatting again.

Thanks for any replies.[/quote]

I’ve never had an inguinal hernia but as a former registered nurse and working in the health field for over 10 yrs I can tell you that 95% of those who’ve had a hernia return to doing what they were doing before their surgery. It takes about 2 months to recover completely but afterwards you’ll be fine. Normally you have a 4 to 6 week period where barely no lifting is allowed or no straineous activity is permitted then you are allowed to get back into your normal routine including lifting but just to be on the safe side, your treating physician should be able to answer specifically when you will be able to lift weights again!

Thanks for the response. I had surgery and I’m recovering now and will take it slow. I have the warm up DVDs for both upper and lower body and I think I’ll spend more time working on that the first month than anything else…that may have been what led to this. I want to master those things before adding much weight.

[quote]barbiegirl wrote:
Shiggy wrote:

Thanks for any replies.

I’ve never had an inguinal hernia but as a former registered nurse and working in the health field for over 10 yrs I can tell you that 95% of those who’ve had a hernia return to doing what they were doing before their surgery. It takes about 2 months to recover completely but afterwards you’ll be fine. Normally you have a 4 to 6 week period where barely no lifting is allowed or no straineous activity is permitted then you are allowed to get back into your normal routine including lifting but just to be on the safe side, your treating physician should be able to answer specifically when you will be able to lift weights again!

[/quote]

I had the exact same surgery. At about 4.5-5 weeks I started to do upper body exercises (i.e. BP), and I don’t really recall what week I started doing core exercises again.

Basically, if it caused pain, I didn’t do it. Just wait, and most importantly-use your head.