T Nation

Recover Muscle Mass on a Calorie Deficit?

4 years ago I was able to Bench 180 lb, Squat 220 lb and Deadlift 330 lb. Beginner numbers. Today, my strength is down to about 60% of I was then. LBM is down 10-15 lbs as well.

I'm at a deficit now and strength is going up consistently. So unless I got my macros all wrong, I was assuming it was due to the fact that I once upon a time was stronger that I am today. And if so, is it also possible to recover any of that lost muscle during a deficit? You know, because muscle memory and all that.

I think during a deficit it would be very hard if not impossible to put on the 40% of muscle you have spoke about losing just due to the simple energy in versus energy out equation, however I think that when you come out of the deficit and work back up to maintenance/a surplus of calories you should be able to gain back any muscle lost and even progress further.

It is possible to get stronger while losing weight, especially when you are as weak as you currently are. It is also possible to lose body fat and gain muscle at the same time. With your current stats, you would have to be doing something very wrong in order to not get stronger, even in a calorie deficit.

[quote]jmesss wrote:
I think during a deficit it would be very hard if not impossible to put on the 40% of muscle you have spoke about losing just due to the simple energy in versus energy out equation, however I think that when you come out of the deficit and work back up to maintenance/a surplus of calories you should be able to gain back any muscle lost and even progress further. [/quote]
No, I wasn’t expecting to put it all back, but perhaps a fraction? Like 5-10% (at best). :slight_smile: Should find out soon enough!

[quote]TrevorLPT wrote:
…especially when you are as weak as you currently are…[/quote]
Ha ha. Man oh man don’t I know it. At least there’s a silver lining! Thanks for chipping in.