Records That Will Never Be Broken

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
Ripken’s consecutive games played. [/quote]
Yeah, there’s no way a baseball player today could go that long without ever sitting out for an injury

UCLA basketball: 88-game win streak

LA Lakers: 33-game win streak

Marty Brodeur and his multiple records

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
I also don’t think anyone will break a record that the 49ers hold that most aren’t even aware exists. Between 1981 and 1998, the 49ers NEVER lost three straight football games. I highly, highly doubt we will ever see that sort of extended dominance and consistency in the NFL ever again.[/quote]

There’s literally thousands of things I would do before ever bothering to look this up but wouldnt be surprised if this current Pats squad isn’t awfully close to besting this one.

[quote]chillain wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
I also don’t think anyone will break a record that the 49ers hold that most aren’t even aware exists. Between 1981 and 1998, the 49ers NEVER lost three straight football games. I highly, highly doubt we will ever see that sort of extended dominance and consistency in the NFL ever again.[/quote]

There’s literally thousands of things I would do before ever bothering to look this up but wouldnt be surprised if this current Pats squad isn’t awfully close to besting this one.

[/quote]

They’re barely halfway there. They lost 4 straight in 2002.

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Emmitt Smith’s 18355 rushing yards.[/quote]

I still don’t ever think of Emmit as the rushing king lol.[/quote]

Good thing you don’t get paid to think. jk jk.

I know what you are saying he just kept on plugging away. Plus Sanders was around then and if he didn’t walk away from the game I think he would have the record.

Emmitt’s record is the whole Cowboy’s offense record imho[/quote]

lol.

Yeah Sanders was the man. I watched a special about him on NFL network the other day and his highlight runs were ridiculous. I was always a Niners fan but Sanders was my favorite player.

Cael Sanderson. College wrestling. Undefeated all 4 years. A record of 159-0.

I cheated and googled it. Here is a few interesting ones not posted yet.

Tampa Bay Bucs lost 26 games in a row.

Secretariat had a 31 length victory in the 1973 Belmont Stakes. Holy shit what a blowout.

Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double for the whole year in 1961-62.

Nolan Ryans career strikeout record, 5,714.

Rickey Henderson with 1,406 career steals.

Boston Celtics 8 straight championships.

Roger Federer reached 23 straight grand slam semi-finals or better finish.

Fewest points in a quarter of an NBA game, two points by the Maverics and Warriors.

Len Dawson fumbled the ball 7 times in one game.

Bob Shaw had 5 balks in a game. Haha, so random.

Naim Suleymanoglu is the only olympic lifter to ever have a 500 sinclair total. For those who don’t know, the sinclair total is a means of comparing lifters from different weight classes (similar to the wilks for powerlifting), and is meant to represent what a lifter would lift if they were a superheavyweight of comparable skill.

Back in '88 Naim totalled 342.5kg in the 60kg weight class with a 152.5kg snatch and a 190kg clean and jerk, giving him a 507 sinclair using the current coefficients.

While comments have been made in this thread about how athletes get better over time and performance based records in individual sports are thus likely to get broken at some point, I think the advancements in drug testing and the direct and significant effect of banned substances on weightlifting performance means Naim’s sinclair total is likely to stand for a long, long time, if not indefinitely.

As reference, for someone in my weight class (105kg) to get a 500 sinclair total, they would have to total roughly 458, which is 22kg over the current world record total.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double for the whole year in 1961-62.
[/quote]

Yeah, that’ll never happen again.

I know Wilt was already mentioned once in this thread, but rather than actually listing every record he set, we should probably just state ‘every record he set.’ The way the game and competition has changed, nothing he did will ever be approached. His 100pt game is probably the least safe of all of his major records, which is fucking ridiculous.

Never break this record.

Sir Steve Redgrave winning Gold in 5 consecutive Olympics

(medalled in 6 which is probably also a record)

Sir Donald Bradman’s career cricket Test batting average of 99.94 is often cited as statistically the greatest achievement by any sportsman in any major sport and has stood for over 60 years

[quote]gregron wrote:
Good ones guys. I had thought about quite a few of those but didn’t remember the back to back no hitters. That’s crazy.

bother one is Phelps record of 7 or 8 Golds in one Olympic Games. That is nuts.[/quote]

I actually think the gold medal one will be broken. The media kind of hated on Spitz for saying this at the time but he was right: they didn’t have as many events for him to swim when he was competing, otherwise he might have had that many medals as well. Something similar could happen in the future, they could add more swimming events, or more gymnastics events, or whatever, and sort of dilute the uniqueness of the gold medal. At that point it will be easier to get those many medals.

Pele winning 3 World cups and scoring 541 league goals

Rod Laver’s Grand slam in Tennis

[quote]NOLAlift wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
Good ones guys. I had thought about quite a few of those but didn’t remember the back to back no hitters. That’s crazy.

bother one is Phelps record of 7 or 8 Golds in one Olympic Games. That is nuts.[/quote]

I actually think the gold medal one will be broken. The media kind of hated on Spitz for saying this at the time but he was right: they didn’t have as many events for him to swim when he was competing, otherwise he might have had that many medals as well. Something similar could happen in the future, they could add more swimming events, or more gymnastics events, or whatever, and sort of dilute the uniqueness of the gold medal. At that point it will be easier to get those many medals.[/quote]

I’m not so sure, I think they realised the ridiculousness of being able to get 8 gold medals. I’m not sure what the plans are for swimming but this Olympics they reduced the possible medals you could win in track cycling for that reason.

It really does seem stupid to be able to get 8 gold medals. Phelps is no doubt a fantastic swimmer but there is no other set of events where someone else could conceivably win as many medals.

(1) Lance Armstrong: 7 consecutive Tour de France wins HAHA

(2) Marco Pantani’s Fastest Alpe d’Huez ascent 37’35" (as part of a stage; 1997)

If anyone beats the record by Pantani, we will know that they have found a new superman doping product. Why? Because most people agree that Pantani was the most talented climber ever plus he used a shitload of blood doping.

[quote]The Ox Man wrote:

[quote]NOLAlift wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

I actually think the gold medal one will be broken. The media kind of hated on Spitz for saying this at the time but he was right: they didn’t have as many events for him to swim when he was competing, otherwise he might have had that many medals as well. Something similar could happen in the future, they could add more swimming events, or more gymnastics events, or whatever, and sort of dilute the uniqueness of the gold medal. At that point it will be easier to get those many medals.[/quote]

I’m not so sure, I think they realised the ridiculousness of being able to get 8 gold medals. I’m not sure what the plans are for swimming but this Olympics they reduced the possible medals you could win in track cycling for that reason.

It really does seem stupid to be able to get 8 gold medals. Phelps is no doubt a fantastic swimmer but there is no other set of events where someone else could conceivably win as many medals.[/quote]

There are tons of running events without getting into distance… You could, if it wasnt banned like you said, win the 100, 200, 400, 4x100, 4x400, 110 hurdles, 400 hurdles, and the 800 maybe? That would be 8 golds but that is as close to
Impossible as it comes.

The thing about phelps is that he had to swim a ridiculous amount of laps. With all the qualifying and heats leading up to the finals, it’s pretty amazing that no one beat him. Especially since most of them were only competing in a few events and should have been MUCH fresher than phelps.

Pretty nuts.

Cy Young’s 316 losses. That’s 21 straight years of 15 losses and you’re still 1 short. Only 2 guys in the MAJORS had more than 15 last year.