T Nation

Records That Will Never Be Broken

I was watching the Lakers game today and they showed Steve Nash’s career stats. He moved into 4th place all time and when they put up the top 5 I was shocked.

John Stockon just blows everyone else out of the water and has amassed so many assists that it’ll never be broken.

Stockton - 15,806
Kidd - 12,010
Jackson - 10,334
Nash - 10,150

I know records are meant to be broken but it just got me thinking about the ones that never will.

What’re some records that you think will never be broken?

Cy Young’s most career wins for a starting pitcher in MLB with 511. Although the game has changed and that was a completely different time and im pretty sure back then if a pitcher started the game no matter how many innings he pitched they got the win.

Johnny Van DerMeer. He threw two consecutive no-hitters. No one is every going to break that record and throw three in three straight starts.

I also don’t think anyone is going to break Joe Montana’s record of 122 pass attempts in the Super Bowl without an interception.

I don’t foresee anyone breaking Joe Dimaggio’s record 56-game hitting streak either. Not with so many specialized relief pitchers and much better athletes playing defense these days.

Wilt Chamberlain’s 100-pt night probably won’t ever happen again, nor will hitting five home runs in one game. Several have tied the record and hit four in one game, but I doubt anyone will ever hit five in one game.

I also don’t think anyone will break a record that the 49ers hold that most aren’t even aware exists. Between 1981 and 1998, the 49ers NEVER lost three straight football games. I highly, highly doubt we will ever see that sort of extended dominance and consistency in the NFL ever again.

I think the two that jump out to me are…

1. Kareem Abdul-jabbar’s 38,387 career points, Lebron right now has 20,000 some odd points currently, probably will come close but i don’t know if he’ll get there. He had a better start than Kobe(who is at the 30,000 mark) because unlike Kobe he didn’t have the luxury to sit.

2. Joe DiMaggio’s 56 game hit streak

You could also say Bond’s HR record but then again you could argue the steroid issue and whether or not it counts. Which i’m sure baseball purists will say it doesn’t so, that’s a tough one.

I’m sure someone will come up with something like Phelps’ gold medal record, i had a few that i can’t think of at the moment. But the points and hit streak were the two that stood out to me.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

I also don’t think anyone is going to break Joe Montana’s record of 122 pass attempts in the Super Bowl without an interception
[/quote]

I actually thought it was impressive that until Kaepernick this year, the 49ers had never thrown an interception in the Super Bowl.

Not to bring up bad memories for you DB but, yeah

and the Chamberlain 100pt record was the one i was forgetting, i actually never thought anyone would get as close as Kobe did.

I’ll add in the Chicago Bulls 72 win season, i just don’t see this one happening anytime soon.

Emmitt Smith’s 18355 rushing yards.

Good ones guys. I had thought about quite a few of those but didn’t remember the back to back no hitters. That’s crazy.

bother one is Phelps record of 7 or 8 Golds in one Olympic Games. That is nuts.

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Emmitt Smith’s 18355 rushing yards.[/quote]

I still don’t ever think of Emmit as the rushing king lol.

Never is a long fucking time.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Emmitt Smith’s 18355 rushing yards.[/quote]

I still don’t ever think of Emmit as the rushing king lol.[/quote]

Good thing you don’t get paid to think. jk jk.

I know what you are saying he just kept on plugging away. Plus Sanders was around then and if he didn’t walk away from the game I think he would have the record.

Emmitt’s record is the whole Cowboy’s offense record imho

181 791 Ed Coan USA 1984 USPF
198 859 Ed Coan USA 1985 USPF
220 901 Ed Coan USA 1991 USPF
242 887 Ed Coan USA 1998 USPF

Somebody might break the 242 or the 181, but honestly, I cannot imagine another 220lb lifter dead lifting over 900 raw.

For a lifting site I can’t believe I was the first one to mention the man himself Eddie Coan!

The 49ers also won 18 straight road games. That’ll never happen again.

I don’t think any QB will ever rush for more than the 180-something yards that Kaepernick ran for in the playoffs against the Packers. I think that’s a playoff record that will never be broken, although I suppose someone could do it in the regular season at some point. If it is broken, I think it will be Kaepernick breaking his own record.

Most of Jerry Rice’s records will never be broken. I still don’t consider Randy Moss’s receiving TDs in a season record to be the actual record, since he had 30 in 16 games but Rice set the previous record (25) in only 12 games during the strike-shortened 1987 season. So in that respect, I don’t think we’ll ever see a receiver catch 26 TD passes in the first 12 games of the season.

I think I had those numbers wrong on the RIce thing. Moss had 23 in 16 games and Rice had 22 in 12. So I don’t think anyone will ever catch 23 TD passes in the first 12 games of the season.

Magic Johnson - most years lived with HIV without contracting AIDS - 21

Wayne Gretzky - quickest to 50 goals - 39 games

Single season HR record -Bonds 73 - with PEDs heavily regulated we won’t see that many ever again in a single season

[quote]csulli wrote:
181 791 Ed Coan USA 1984 USPF
198 859 Ed Coan USA 1985 USPF
220 901 Ed Coan USA 1991 USPF
242 887 Ed Coan USA 1998 USPF

Somebody might break the 242 or the 181, but honestly, I cannot imagine another 220lb lifter dead lifting over 900 raw.

For a lifting sight I can’t believe I was the first one to mention the man himself Eddie Coan![/quote]

That’s a toughie. On one hand, the records are ridiculous. On the other hand though, the reason most of the records listed are being listed is that they can’t really be broken simply because athletes become better over time. Nobody thinks Phelps times in the water will be untouched, they think his 8/8 golds will be.

Nobody has said they think Bolt’s 100m time will go unbroken because sprinters constantly improve. Fact of the matter is, if I had to bet money on a record being broken it would be one that can be broken by simple evolution and betterment of genetics and understanding of training. It may not happen soon, but someone will break those records(even taking into consideration they are limited by a weight class).

Ed coan’s records won’t stand forever. It is just a question of how long it will take for someone with the genetics, drugs, and effort to beat him. Perhaps scientists will find a way to stop the gene expression of myostatin or remove it completely.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Magic Johnson - most years lived with HIV without contracting AIDS - 21

[/quote]

Ripken’s consecutive games played.

Cal Ripken’s consecutive game streak. He broke Lou Gehrigs record that would never be broken. It helps Cal that coaches in todays game are a lot less likely not to give players days off.

Edit: Oops, sorry Doc, didn’t read your post.