Recommended Training Books

Hello all.

A £25 Amazon voucher has come my way (it being Christmas and all) and I want to spend it on some type of training book. Anything at all related to training really, my interests span bodybuilding, powerlifting, strongman, kettlebells, conditioning, combat and autobiographies. Just for interest, not for reaching a specific goal.

I was just wondering if anyone can give me any recommendations?

Thanks

(I already have Arnold’s autobiography ‘Total Recall’ and his encyclopaedia)

EDIT:

Sorry I forgot to add I also already have a bunch of ebooks:

5/3/1 first edition
Black Book of Training Secrets (Thibs)
Theory and Application of Modern Strength and Power Methods (Thibs)
Muscle Revolution (Waterbury)
Convict Conditioning 1 and 2

Dan Jon…Jim Wendler…Stuart McRoberts all have books worth the price. stuarts methods are bit conservitive but Brawn reads like a bible on life long weightlifting, it will change the way you look at everything, if you get through it. Much like the bible,

Thanks for the response, I’ll look into them. Yeah I already have 5/3/1 by Wendler and a bunch of other ebooks (just edited my OP). Any other suggestions?

My number one would be the Purposeful Primitave by Marty Gallagher.

After that I would suggest the most recent edition of Starting Strength, not for the program or even the form instruction, but just to see the physics of your form laid out and better understand why the things that work actually work.

Bigger Leaner stronger by Michael Matthews

Supertraining by Mel Siff and Yuri is a SOLID investment.

It is a dry read as it is a text book, but it is geared at strength training athletes and covers basically everything you need to know about maximising strength and performance. Very relevant to strongman/powerlifting guys.

I’ve mentioned this before but you should check out Mastery by Robert Greene. It’s not a ‘training’ book per say however it has a lot of information which you could apply to training and other aspects of life.

You will not be disappointed.

Muscle, Smoke and Mirrors Volume 1 by Randy Roach. An encyclopedia of early bodybuilding/physical culture and nutrition from the 1800s to the 1960s.

The Complete Keys to Progress by John McCallum is a collection of McCallum’s articles from the '60s and '70s. Great conversational writing style. Very Dan John-ish. Lots of solid training info too.

Got Fight? by Forrest Griffin was light on actual fighting and training info, but kinda funny if you like Forrest’s sense of humor.

Beyond bodybuilding by Pavel
Programs that work currently on sale at elite looks great
Never let go by Dan John

I sped read Greene’s “Mastery” book at the store, just rehashed old info, and Darwin is credited one too
many times for my tastes…old theories for the new gen, save your money.
I guess “Arnold 's Encyclopedia” gets my vote, it’s really the timeless Bible of Bodybuilding,
and has aged very well…As long as Humans have two arms, two legs, a torso and a brain,
the workout techniques are as relevant now as they were back then, and will STILL be relevant
500 years from now, go with the best, everything else that came after…eh, mostly rehashed.
'Works for me.

[quote]Karado wrote:
I sped read Greene’s “Mastery” book at the store, just rehashed old info, and Darwin is credited one too
I guess “Arnold 's Encyclopedia” gets my vote, it’s really the timeless Bible of Bodybuilding,
and has aged very well…As long as Humans have two arms, two legs, a torso and a brain,
the workout techniques are as relevant now as they were back then, and will STILL be relevant
500 years from now, go with the best, everything else that came after…eh, mostly rehashed.
'Works for me. [/quote]

x2
If I could give a begennier only one book…it be this one.

I second Supertraining by Mel Siff…you will have a lifetime of learning from one book…its what I would call the one book to get if you had just one…many of the bodybuilding books like the Arnold Encyclopedia (I have the original) are novelty items once you learn some exercise science…often junk…just personal stories of whomevers experience…

get Supertraining by Mel Siff and Only The Strong Shall Survive by Bill Starr…classics that will never grow old with relevant info for training…

Also just heard of a new book ‘Triphasic training’ haven’t yet read it but meant to be excellent.

[quote]Karado wrote:
[/quote]

Yeah this guy is on the money. He sped read it in a store.

I’m a big fan of ‘Warrior Cardio,’ by Martin Rooney (a frequent T-Nation contributor, if you hadn’t noticed).

It’s a really impressive book for overall conditioning, and has all kinds of interesting ideas & programs. Definitely worth considering, I think.

ChongLordUno sez: “Yeah this guy is on the money. He sped read it in a store.”

Yep, In about one hour too, at a Barnes and Noble, in a nice comfy chair, and a fuckin’ Coffee
in front of me on a very nice table.
Of course you don’t believe me, apparently they don’t have any speed reading
courses available in Scotland, nor do they have the creature comforts
of a decent Book store there as well to sit down and read.
I picture YOUR book stores over there as essentially dusty dungeons with book racks, so how could I
have possibly expected you to believe me in the first place?