Recommended Reading for Summer

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
As I said on Xen’s thread, do yourself a favor and read A Prayer for Owen Meany and The Road. You’ll thank me later.

.[/quote]

I am a huge John Irving fan, in addition to Owen Meany, read “Setting Free the Bears”.

[quote]Andrew Dixon wrote:

So you read it and thought it was rubbish.? I think it’s spot on.[/quote]

Yep. For an english class. We actually read him as an example of cheap rhetoric. Much of his argumentation is essentially a smoke-and-mirrors critique of extremism. He conflates the most unsavory segments of religion into the whole and blindly ignores anything that doesn’t fit into his agenda.

Apparently he is extremely well regarded as a scientist, I know next to nothing about his field. However, as a writer/philosopher/theologian, he really is the atheist version of Jerry Falwell.

a million little pieces and my friend leonard by james frey.

Yes i know its in oprah book club but those books are awesome. About a guy with drug addiction and his time in rehab and the sequel is about him after release and living with the help of his mob boss friend, all based on a true story.

[quote]Split wrote:
a million little pieces and my friend leonard by james frey.

Yes i know its in oprah book club but those books are awesome. About a guy with drug addiction and his time in rehab and the sequel is about him after release and living with the help of his mob boss friend, all based on a true story.[/quote]

True story? I don’t think so. It’s been proven that Frey embellished details in his book, and the publisher is now offering refunds to people that bought the book.

If you like combat sports, I’d suggest “A Fighter’s Heart” by Sam Sheridan.

Other good reads:

“Catch-22”
one of my all-time favorite reads.

“Jesus’ Son”
this book is CRAZY. Very disturbing in parts, but also had me in stitches. If you have a sick sense of humor, read this book.