T Nation

Recommended Reading for New PT?

Ive got some down-time, before i was attacked i was in the process of starting a PT business & now im looking at 6 months of doing nought (and then some to actually look like i train again) which means ive got plenty of time to gain knowledge. Anyone got any recommended reading for me, focussing on personal training, client assessments, program design, business side of the fitness industry etc.?

best thing you can do is get out there and start talking to people

get certified by a reputable source

train some people for free
improve their lives and karma will return the favor

good luck

read “The Zone” for nutrition.

Have a look at some of Alwyn Cosgrove’s stuff for business management. I don’t really like he’s style of training, but he knows how to market himself.

As for training, try reading the science and practice of strength training (really good theory, especially for training athletes), and any of Thibs or Poliquin’s stuff is good if you’re looking for a bodybuilding style approach

[quote]sjfou wrote:
before i was attacked[/quote]

Wait… what?

[[quote]Anyone got any recommended reading for me, focussing on personal training, client assessments, program design, business side of the fitness industry etc.?[/quote]

It’s not a book, but Nate Green has a killer audio interview series, Standing on the Shoulders of Giants:
http://www.thenategreenexperience.com/blog/Standing+on+the+Shoulders+of+Giants/

It covers a ton of info about developing a personal training business, talking to successful people like Cosgrove, Mike Boyle, Jim Labadie, Ryan Lee, Craig Ballantyne, and others.

Also, I’d read through the Trainers Talking Shop thread (no, I haven’t given up on that thread. As neglected as it is, it’s damn useful.)
http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/trainers_talking_shop

A bunch of trainers/forum members have chimed in over the years with plenty of tips.

For assessments, I’d study whatever you can find from Gray Cook, Nick Tumminello, the Cressey Performance team, and Robertson/Hartman at IFAST. There are others too, but just from those guys, you should be able to learn enough to put together an efficient assessment.

Program design is really individual, and will develop based on what you’re comfortable with, what you believe in, and (partly) what your clients needs are. There are no limits to what you should study to develop your “toolbox”. Old school training info, bodybuilding info, powerlifting, functional training, yoga… if it has to do with training a human body, give it a read and use your own filter.

Here’s one of the recent threads with various book suggestions:
http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/books_to_read_1

Thanks alot (especially CC) - FYI, im (was) the 24yr old 5ft 7 equivalent of a bouncer, got king-hit from behind with a set of knuckle-dusters in an unprovoked attack by a 90kg 45yr old piece of shit with 5 associates. I managed to duck one of the 3 initial swings enough to make it glancing shot across the cheek, temple & ear & dropped him with a counter-right. i couldnt capitalise as i had to circle to ensure my back wasnt to the other 5, he bum-rushed me but somehow i managed to shoulder-throw him. Again i couldnt capitalise due to the others. one associate grabbed from the side & pinned me to the wall whilst the attacker eye-gouged me. i could feel his thumb under my cheek bone inside my eye-socket. i had my fist locked out in his throat so he couldnt close teh distance any more when a patrol car drove past. Im a lucky SOB to get out of it with 4 damaged vertebrae in my neck…