Recommended Books?

Any strength/ powerlifting books for beginners?

You can start going through this thread =D

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_bigger_stronger_leaner/books_that_every_lifter_should_read?id=5855853&pageNo=0

[quote]Mizery wrote:
You can start going through this thread =D

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_bigger_stronger_leaner/books_that_every_lifter_should_read?id=5855853&pageNo=0[/quote]
Thanks man :slight_smile:

Coach Rippetoe has some good books for beginners, like Starting Strength and Practical Programming.

I am strongly cobsidwring his book, but I hear he has a very controversial look on hip drive?

I read starting strength awhile ago, and the only thing I really remember about hip drive was in the squat section. He advocates a low bar squat with the torso less upright and the hips further back. This engages the hips more which he believes is beneficial to his athletes. Again, this is what I remember so take that with a grain of salt. I squat this way and it works well for me.

I guess it can be at first glance, but once you take in what he’s saying it makes perfect sense. I don’t disagree with Coach Rip on the hip drive thing. Basically what RedFive said, but I’d also add that he advocates for the back angle in relation to the ground staying the same for the first part of the deadlift until the bar passes the knees. For the squat he advocates taking a shoulder width stance, sitting down and back while spreading the knees tracking with the toes, pointed slightly outward. This is perfectly reasonable, and I don’t think anyone would call this a bad way to squat. It is admittedly not a powerlifting squat which is meant to take advantage of a shorter ROM and better leverage, but it is designed to work all muscles of the hips and legs to the maximum extent possible.

Obviously I can’t do him any justice in one paragraph, so the above may seem oversimplified or plain wrong. Bottom line: I assure you Rip’s views on hip drive are no reason to avoid his books.

FWIW, reading Rip’s books has saved my knees.

[quote]I.Bacu wrote:
I am strongly cobsidwring his book, but I hear he has a very controversial look on hip drive?[/quote]

It’s not like you read only one book for the rest of your life and only abide by it’s principles. Read a bunch and see what overlaps and makes the most sense to you. You want to expose yourself to a lot of ideas and see which ones resonate the most with you.

If Rippetoe’s view on hipdrive doesn’t work for you, find an author who does.

I shouldn’t have wrote it like that, still going to buy the book. Just wondering what all the fuss about hipdrive was. Somerthing little as that won’t overshaddow the mountains of useful information.

Another thing, the cleans, are they heard to learn on your own.? t can look as upright row to a OHP to me, but I tend to lean back a little to catch it., that’s not correct I noticed. Can you substitute it?

[quote]I.Bacu wrote:
I shouldn’t have wrote it like that, still going to buy the book. Just wondering what all the fuss about hipdrive was. Somerthing little as that won’t overshaddow the mountains of useful information.

Another thing, the cleans, are they heard to learn on your own.? t can look as upright row to a OHP to me, but I tend to lean back a little to catch it., that’s not correct I noticed. Can you substitute it?[/quote]

I would just take some time to learn the clean on your own. They’re not hard to learn at all. They do take a lot of diligence to learn to be GOOD at. I’d suggest spending some time on youtube or crosffit.com watching instructional videos, then start practicing with the bar, and slowly add weight. Once you get some weight on the bar, post up a video of yourself for form critique.