Recommended Books...

given my new nootropic obsession, i’m taking advantage of the effects and going out to read more… are there any books you guys recommend, books that you are thankful to have read? non-bodybuilding related, and my preference is non-fiction.

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.

Scariest Books - all by Stephen King Salem’s Lot, It, Pet Cematary , Id read them all again

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Funniest book I ever read. Jarhead and Generation Kill are also funny but I dunno if civilians would think so.

T-nationT-nationT-nationT-nation

[quote]russianmuscle wrote:
given my new nootropic obsession, i’m taking advantage of the effects and going out to read more… are there any books you guys recommend, books that you are thankful to have read? non-bodybuilding related, and my preference is non-fiction.[/quote]

Non-fiction? I recommend the Bible, which has one of the best villains of all time. God.

Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons

the game - neil strauss

Law of Success - Napoleon Hill

[quote]BlackLabel3 wrote:
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
(he wrote fight club)[/quote]

I second this. All CP’s books are fantastic.
Charles Bukowski, Martin Amis and Brett Easton Ellis are all good too. None are really non-fiction, though Bukowski’s books are semi-autobiographical.

If you wanted to learn more about the brain and nootropics in a fairly easy to understand format, check out The Edge Effect, by Eric Braverman. A fair amount of psychobabble after the first half when he suggests treatments, but it all seems to check out.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
russianmuscle wrote:
given my new nootropic obsession, i’m taking advantage of the effects and going out to read more… are there any books you guys recommend, books that you are thankful to have read? non-bodybuilding related, and my preference is non-fiction.

Non-fiction? I recommend the Bible, which has one of the best villains of all time. God.[/quote]

ya kno, i’ve thought about this for a bit

the bible says the devil is a great deciever right?

so what if HE wrote the scripture and put them on eath in attempts to get people to commit unholy acts. ya kno, like paraphrasing some of God’s actual words but tweaking them to get people to sin?

Kama Sutra gets my vote, that is an awesome read

[quote]matko5 wrote:
Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons[/quote]

This is an amazing book/compilation of 4 books.
Science Fiction at it’s best.

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
Scariest Books - all by Stephen King Salem’s Lot, It, Pet Cematary , Id read them all again

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Funniest book I ever read. Jarhead and Generation Kill are also funny but I dunno if civilians would think so.[/quote]

Misery, also by King is very good. Watch the movie too!

I’d also recommend Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi. It’s a bio of Charles Manson and his association with the Beatle’s White Album by the defence attorney who prosecuted him.

Rant and Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk.
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.
American Pyscho by Bret Ellis.
The Dirt by Motley Crue.

“A spot of bother” & “The curious incident” - by Mark Haddon
“Life of Pi” - by Jan Martel
“Catch 22” - by Joseph Heller
Anything by Kurt Vonnegut
The Mario Puzo Godfather books

I thoroughly enjoyed the above books!

Freakanomics

Pipe dreams

good analysis of social traits in the world today.

The Story of B by Daniel Quinn - awesome read about agriculture, religion, control. Paradigm shifting.
1984 by George Orwell - scary similiarities to today’s world…
Philip K. Dick short stories - wrote the stories for Blade Runner, Minority Report, etc. many of his stories are colored by 1950’s paranoia and drug use. Awesome stuff!! Science Fiction mostly, but science fiction uses alternate time/species/gagdgets to discuss human issues in not-so-offensive manners and stretches the imagination.
the 48 Laws of Power - researched and digested tidbits from Sun Tsu, Clausewitz, PT Barnum, Caesar, etc. Takes the best stories and illustrates the uses of these laws throughout history. Chapter one is “Never Outshine the Master”. Great stuff.

From fitness perspective
Chris Aceto’s championship bodybuilding, and everything you wanted to know about fat loss were eye opening
Serious Strength Training by Tudor Bompa
Essentials of Strength Training, Baescle ?sp - NSCA cert book.
Anything by Kraemer and Fleck, periodization, designing resistance training programs.
Get Buffed by Ian King, great understanding of reducting training volume, prioritizing and balancing routines
Program Designer’s Bible by Alywn cosgrove, not as good as the King book, but good understanding of programming vs goals and available time.
Charles Staley’s unnatural Athlete - an article called “by the numbers” - understanding measurement of volume, intensity, density and progression
Dorian Yates’ books - very to the point
Get Lean by Lee Labrada and Keith Klein, more 1980’s high carb/low fat but a structured week by week countdown to contest diet.
Beverly Contest Prep Manual. Tons of great info.

Guess that’s it for now. this site has tons of links.

anybody read any of Scott Abel’s stuff from his website and recommendations?

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies

Unweaving the Rainbow by Richard Dawkins

Lincoln’s Melancholy by Joshua Shenk

The Elegant Universe by Brian greene

Excellent reads!!!

The first one is well worth consideration for anyone.

Just finished The Magus by John Fowles. Easily one of the most entertaining and thought provoking pieces of fiction I’ve read.

I’m about to read Choke, nice to see it’s well liked around here.