T Nation

Recommendation for my 15 Year Old Cousin

Hey guys, I have a 15 year old cousin who has a relatively good physique for his age, yet he hasn’t made progress in the last few months. He’s not big, but definitely works hard, and is extremely dedicated and carries muscle. However, he’s on PHAT, and hasn’t made any progress, and just maybe even lost muscle, and got fat. He claims he only feels like he worked really hard after leg days. Is it training intensity? or is PHAT a little too much for a 15 year old? he claims he only made progress when on p90x.

any suggestions? routines?

Height: 5-9
Weight: 180 lbs.
Bodyfat: 13.5%

Lifts:

Squat: 265x1
Bench: 210x1
Dead: 350x1

(working out for 1 year, progress has completely halted for 6 months)

Get him on a split hitting all body parts and have him get in a lot of quality food…Don’t need to go crazy at 15 to grow…

[quote]Aminian wrote:
he claims he only made progress when on p90x.
[/quote]
Exits Thread

Very much agreed.

The numbers you listed are impressive for a kid his age, but I’d still suggest he do a bodyweight routine for a week or two, if only to “deload” from free weights and make sure everything’s actually working the way it’s supposed to.

3 Days a Week
Squat 2x15 (No weight)
Push-up 2x15
Lunge 2x15 (Alternate legs, 1 rep left/1 rep right)
Neutral-grip pull-up 2x15 (Could be substituted with inverted rows)
Plank 2x15-count
Burpee/squat thrust 2x15

[quote]Aminian wrote:
hasn’t made any progress, and just maybe even lost muscle, and got fat.[/quote]
Instinct says it’s a nutrition issue.

A 15-year old dude, even if he’s interested in bodybuilding and “dedicated” to seeing progress, is unlikely to have much control over their nutrition unless they take a major role in preparing their own food. To quote The Fresh Prince, parents just don’t understand, so he should be making himself breakfast, getting himself lunch, and eating a hearty dinner every day.

He definitely doesn’t have to eat like a competitive bodybuilder, but getting three good meals every single day, plus a workout shake, should be top priority.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Very much agreed.

The numbers you listed are impressive for a kid his age, but I’d still suggest he do a bodyweight routine for a week or two, if only to “deload” from free weights and make sure everything’s actually working the way it’s supposed to.

3 Days a Week
Squat 2x15 (No weight)
Push-up 2x15
Lunge 2x15 (Alternate legs, 1 rep left/1 rep right)
Neutral-grip pull-up 2x15 (Could be substituted with inverted rows)
Plank 2x15-count
Burpee/squat thrust 2x15

[quote]Aminian wrote:
hasn’t made any progress, and just maybe even lost muscle, and got fat.[/quote]
Instinct says it’s a nutrition issue.

A 15-year old dude, even if he’s interested in bodybuilding and “dedicated” to seeing progress, is unlikely to have much control over their nutrition unless they take a major role in preparing their own food. To quote The Fresh Prince, parents just don’t understand, so he should be making himself breakfast, getting himself lunch, and eating a hearty dinner every day.

He definitely doesn’t have to eat like a competitive bodybuilder, but getting three good meals every single day, plus a workout shake, should be top priority.[/quote]

Well, he was anabolic dieting for a good 4 months in which he saw little progress and maybe lost muscle, however, 4 months of anabolically dieting, cooking every meal etc, should give you an accurate perspective of wat i mean by dedication, lol. I’ll let him know about all this, THANKS GUYS! Anybody else have any useful insight?

[quote]Aminian wrote:
Well, he was anabolic dieting for a good 4 months in which he saw little progress and maybe lost muscle, however, 4 months of anabolically dieting, cooking every meal etc, should give you an accurate perspective of wat i mean by dedication, lol.[/quote]
A 14 or 15 year old has no business being on the Anabolic Diet in the first place.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
A 14 or 15 year old has no business being on the Anabolic Diet in the first place.[/quote]
Checks back in

Yep this is pretty much how I thought this would turn out, 14 year old on a diet and doing a fat loss program designed for sedentary adults. Goes on a hypertrophy program and gets “fat” at 13.5%

OP, FFS dude. Encourage your cousin to eat well balanced meals including the dreaded-grains. Encourage him to be okay with his body image even if hes at a “fat” 13.5%. He is currently going through puberty which means he should be eating like a horse, lifting heavy and growing like a weed. He must look up to you so point him in the right, healthy, direction. /rant.

Also, listen to Chris. I don’t think he needs to be on PHAT just yet to see gains. Something more like starting strength where you hit the same muscle groups three times per week does make the most sense for a teenager.

Thanks guys! So something like a 3 day Push-Pull-Legs split where he’ll be squatting, deadlifting, and benching would be better? He doesn’t seem too like full body, and says splits work better for him and are not as enjoyable, i guess i dont blame him, if your not enjoying what your doing, your bound too fail. Little less volume than PHAT seems too be the general consensus, thanks so much guys!

[quote]Aminian wrote:
Thanks guys! So something like a 3 day Push-Pull-Legs split where he’ll be squatting, deadlifting, and benching would be better? He doesn’t seem too like full body, and says splits work better for him and are not as enjoyable, i guess i dont blame him, if your not enjoying what your doing, your bound too fail. Little less volume than PHAT seems too be the general consensus, thanks so much guys![/quote]

I don’t know much and this is my 2nd post. The first post included me explaining how i’m a giant pxxxx. However, i dont think he knows what is better for him or else he would be making gains at such a pivotal moment in his life where he has testosterone coming out of his a hole. Tell him to stfu and do squats and 300 grams of protein a day. just my opinion which is probably worth nothing.

Big, quality steak 3 times a week(or more)