T Nation

Recipes for Meat Grinder?

Sick of baking chicken breasts, I’m thinking about getting meat grinder - either hand held or mechanical.

I’ve been getting fresh chicken sausage from Whole Foods, and would love to be able to make my own, so that I know macronutrients.

Also, I’ve been ordering Chicken Adana from a turkish restaurant which is amazing, but I can’t find the recipe – mainly garlic, onions and Turkish pepper paste.

Anybody have any experience with grinding fresh chicken or any recommendations on what kind of grinder to get? Is there any way to use my food processor? I have a Cuisinart, but imagine it would just make mush of of the chicken.

Or have any good recipes for use with healthy lean meats?

Thanks.

I’ve made sausage plenty of times in a food processor. The trick to keeping the meat coarse – not mushifying it – is to use the pulse function. Other tips are to leave plenty of room for the meat to move around in the work bowl, coarsely pre-chop other ingredients (onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms) before adding them to the meat, and be sure to use some fat in the mix.

As far as seasoning, I use plenty of cumin, salt and pepper. You can use Emeril’s Bam as a ready made seasoning.

The hardest thing about making sausages at home is dealing with stuffing the casing. The easy alternative is avoiding casing altogether and just chopping and seasoning the meat and using it like a burger.

sage is great for a breakfast sausage flavor

get creative. dont skimp on the spices use cheap TOUGH lean cuts of beef etc.

Oh and to help kee the moisture on the leaner cuts add a PINCH of guar gum it will hold a TON of liquid.

forgot to add don’t be affraid of adding veggies either. Make the sausage a compete meal of its own and get a casing stuffer.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
I’ve made sausage plenty of times in a food processor. The trick to keeping the meat coarse – not mushifying it – is to use the pulse function. Other tips are to leave plenty of room for the meat to move around in the work bowl, coarsely pre-chop other ingredients (onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms) before adding them to the meat, and be sure to use some fat in the mix.

As far as seasoning, I use plenty of cumin, salt and pepper. You can use Emeril’s Bam as a ready made seasoning.

The hardest thing about making sausages at home is dealing with stuffing the casing. The easy alternative is avoiding casing altogether and just chopping and seasoning the meat and using it like a burger.[/quote]

Great tips! Thanks!

[quote]Phill wrote:
forgot to add don’t be affraid of adding veggies either. Make the sausage a compete meal of its own and get a casing stuffer.
[/quote]

Love that. Do you have any recipes? That guar gum tip is something I never would have come up with. Thanks.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
…and be sure to use some fat in the mix.
[/quote]

Would adding a bit of olive oil work, or would this turn out gross?

[quote]TeeVee69 wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
…and be sure to use some fat in the mix.

Would adding a bit of olive oil work, or would this turn out gross?[/quote]

Most of the sausage I make is with pork, which happens to come with its out tasty fat. I’ve never made chicken sausage with olive oil. Fat in the liquid state won’t hold the sausage together the same way that a solid fat does. I don’t hink it would be gross. Just a different consistency. One way to find out though …