T Nation

Recipes for Grilled Chicken?

Man grilling plain chicken and eating it just like that is dull!
Need some recipes for my chicken.
Please post!

I NEED FLAVOR!!!

Okay - here goes. It’s what I do, and it worked well for me.

Step 1. Gather all chicken breasts to gether in a single bag.

Step 2. Throw the bag into the garbage.

Step 3. Go to the store and buy beef.

Tastes great.

MNguns,
Here’s a ridiculously fast one: Slap a piece of pinapple on top of the grilled chicken breast, all on a whole wheat (higher-fiber) bun. Add crisp lettuce if you like.

The pineapple keeps the dry chicken breast moist and its enzymes may be additionally beneficial.

Some general tips that’ll make the most bland piece of meat on earth fun to eat:

  • marinate in brine for at least 2 hours (overnight is even better) for better flavoring and moisture
  • make flavored brines instead of using just water (fruit juices, lagers, etc)
  • Two words: SPICE RUB and lots of it
  • quick even cooking to further avoid drying the meat out

Elaborating on the quick, even cooking…butterfly the breast (slice through the center down the side of the breast length wise until you reach about 1/2" to the other side then open like a book), loosely cover in plastic wrap and flatten out thick areas until they’re even with the thinner areas. These pieces of chicken are called “paillards” if you ever want to impress a date/gf.

Follow those simple rules and you’ll find it hard to get bored with chicken breasts.

Two of my current favorites are:

Marinate in good BBQ sauce overnight, then slather some on and grill it. My current favorite is a chipotle BBQ sauce from one of the local gourmet grocery stores (Larry’s Market).

Spray with a little olive oil, then roll it around in some blackened seasoning. I usually buy blackoned seasoning, then add some cayenne pepper, and maybe a little black pepper. Some days I’ll even throw some red pepper flakes in there. Yummmmm!

Adobo sauce is pretty damn good too.

throw your chicken breasts in a ziploc bag, fill it with your favorite spicey salsa and let it marinate overnite.

totally simple, and totally tastey.

[quote]Need4Speed wrote:
Two of my current favorites are:

Marinate in good BBQ sauce overnight, then slather some on and grill it. My current favorite is a chipotle BBQ sauce from one of the local gourmet grocery stores (Larry’s Market).

Spray with a little olive oil, then roll it around in some blackened seasoning. I usually buy blackoned seasoning, then add some cayenne pepper, and maybe a little black pepper. Some days I’ll even throw some red pepper flakes in there. Yummmmm![/quote]

I agree with the BBQ sauce only I use Jack Daniel’s old #7 sauce it has a great taste. Also you can put the chicken in a ziplock bag with Italian dressing and chill it for atleast 2 hours.

One I have seen but haven’t tried yet.

  1. Pound flat a chicken breast.
  2. Put a slice of procuitto(Italian ham) on it.
  3. Put a tablespoon of cottage cheese.
  4. Roll it up with toothpicks.
  5. grill.

Nobody likes BBQ sauce more than me, but one word of caution…most of the shyte BBQ sauces in grocery stores have an inordinate amount of sugar and list high fructose corn syrup as the first or second ingredient.

High fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oil…the scurge(s) of society!!!

[quote]gottatrain wrote:
Nobody likes BBQ sauce more than me, but one word of caution…most of the shyte BBQ sauces in grocery stores have an inordinate amount of sugar and list high fructose corn syrup as the first or second ingredient.

High fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oil…the scurge(s) of society!!![/quote]

Not only that, but you don’t want to put bbq sauce on your chicken before grilling as the sugars will burn instead of caramelize. It’s better to marinate the chicken in a brine, season lightly, grill and gradually mop on the sauce when the surface of the chicken is seared.

As much as I love cooking, Panther, you need to come live with me and my personal chef.

Personally, I don’t like butterflied chicken. It dries out too quickly in my grill. I like it slightly frozen in the center of the breast and then grilled fast and hot. This makes the thinner parts get crispy and burn a bit with the thick part getting seared and all the moisture is kept inside. When you slice it up you get the perfect mix of juicy chicken and seared/charred pieces. No need to worry about it being “undercooked” either as the 2 minutes it takes to nuke it when you actually eat it finishes off any undone parts. Add a couple tablespoons of one of the millions of marinades or sauces available and viola! Yumminess in a tupperware!

[quote]~karma~ wrote:
As much as I love cooking, Panther, you need to come live with me and my personal chef.

Personally, I don’t like butterflied chicken. It dries out too quickly in my grill. I like it slightly frozen in the center of the breast and then grilled fast and hot. This makes the thinner parts get crispy and burn a bit with the thick part getting seared and all the moisture is kept inside. When you slice it up you get the perfect mix of juicy chicken and seared/charred pieces. No need to worry about it being “undercooked” either as the 2 minutes it takes to nuke it when you actually eat it finishes off any undone parts. Add a couple tablespoons of one of the millions of marinades or sauces available and viola! Yumminess in a tupperware! [/quote]

Karma, a common mistake with butterflied chicken is overcooking it. Believe me, for moist chicken breast, this technique is unparalleled. The key is to make sure the grill is SEARING hot. Cook the chicken breasts for no more than 90 seconds on each side and let the meat rest for about 10 min in a loosely covered container or plate.

Keys to moist meat:

  • Marinate
  • Sear the outside
  • Butterfly (in the case of uneven cuts like chicken breast)
  • Don’t overcook
  • Allow meat to rest 10-15 min after cooking before cutting

BTW, I’d me more than happy to be your personal chef. Just say the word and I’m there ;).

I think it is mcormick that makes a BBQ seasoning, it is very, very good and has virtually nothing in it. I suggest this. Also if you look for other sorts of rubs, most are great and won’t change the value of the meats.

[quote]Todd S. wrote:
I think it is mcormick that makes a BBQ seasoning, it is very, very good and has virtually nothing in it. I suggest this. Also if you look for other sorts of rubs, most are great and won’t change the value of the meats. [/quote]

Forgot to mention, if you use a spice rub for brined chicken, make sure it has no salt in it.

Another idea for those chicken breasts is to cook them as suggested by many of the other posts here then slice them into strips and throw them on a bed of fresh greens like spinach and leaf lettuce - add some toasted almonds, some dried fruit (sliced dried apricots are great)and maybe some cheese (Fetta or Swiss is pretty tastey) and top with an extra virgin olive oil based dressing. Yum.

I do not eat grilled boneless, skinless chicken breasts because the outside gets leathery and the inside has little flavor, even when they brined.

Grilling is for bone-in, skin-on chicken. You can remove the skin before eating if you are concerned about the fat.

Try rubbing olive oil, then spice rub all over a whole (brined or kosher) chicken. Loosen the skin over the breast meat without detaching it completely and rub spices under the skin/over the meat as well. Open a can of beer, pour out about an inch, and make 2 more holes in the top. Holding the chicken upright, stick it over the can of beer, inserting the beer can into the chicken cavity. Grill upright over indirect heat (one burner on high, chicken sitting over other burners which are off) until instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh reads 160 degrees F. Brush on some BBQ sauce at this point (optional). Remove the chicken maintaining its upright position. DO NOT OVERCOOK.

It is tricky getting the can of beer out of the cavity after cooking (easier if someone helps you), but this is DELICIOUS chicken.

grill up some tuna steaks, make some brown rice, chop up the steaks , throw it together and pour some bbq sauce on it and mix it all up. its actually a pretty tastey dish

also, for chicken, try brushing some olive oil on the chicken before cooking it and get some “chicken seasoning” from the supermarket(they also sell sodium free which is what i use because spices tend to be high in sodium) then sprinkle some of that on the chicken, then throw it on the grill. the oil keeps it moist and the seasoning gives it flavor

Cube the cold grilled chicken. Mix in flax seed oil, finely chopped celery and onion, and seasonings. Wrap in a low carb tortilla.