Recipe

I came up with this recipe yesterday and it was scrumptious so I thought I would share. It was just a little bit spicy but not too much. It would probably be considered junk food on some diets around here, especially if you don’t eat fats and carbs together, but you could always modify it. For instance you could cut out most of the fat by using chicken breast instead of drumsticks and replacing the olive oil with fat free yogurt. Or you could cut out the carbs by not using the breading.

Mix together the following and pour over chicken pieces (I used 16 drumsticks):

2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp mustard
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cloves of garlic ? minced

Put the following in a blender and grind until flour-like consistency:

1 ? cups oatmeal
? tsp salt
? tsp pepper
? tsp nutmeg

One at a time coat each chicken piece in the oatmeal mixture (make sure the piece is well coated in sauce before you do this). Spray a non stick pan with cooking oil and fry the chicken a few minutes on each side just until brown. (You can skip this step but I think it makes them crispier) Then transfer the chicken to greased cookie sheets and bake at 350 degrees until done. Watch them to make sure they don’t burn; you may need to flip them or move your oven rack up if your oven gets too hot. I left mine in about 30 minutes and they turned out perfectly. They were so delicious. I thought I would have leftovers for today but my husband polished off all but two.

Sorry, the measurements didn’t show up correctly. The breading should read:

1 and 3/4 cups oatmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg