Recipe Thread

Since I am an avid cook, as I am sure most of you are, I was thinking why not start a recipe thread going. If you got a protien packed meal, that tastes good going down let’s hear about it. I’ll start it up:

1. Take 1lb of salmon and place it on a piece of tin foil.
  2. Make some slits in the salmon and place thin slices of fresh garlic.
  3. Cut slices of lemon and place on top of salmon
  4. Sprinkle with paprika and pour a littl olive oil on top
  5. Wrap the salmon so there’s only a slight opening in the top and throw on the grill (low to medium heat)

Should take about 15-20 minutes and you don’t even need to flip it - just wait for white bubbles to coat the top (if you press down it should be relatively firm).

Enjoy

Hello!

Great idea to start a recipe thread. The diet can get really boring, it’s great to share ideas.

Dunno why this is, I don’t even LIKE pizza, but when low carbing or calorie-cutting or exercising a lot, I crave pizza. I don’t much like bread, and usually eat the stuff off the top of pizza anyway and throw out the crust; nonetheless, I devised this recipe, that I often will eat 2-3 times a day when low carbing. Please note: I don’t cook well, so for those of you with busy schedules, terrible cooks (like me), this is soooo super easy and quick to make.

PIZZA SAUCE:
1- large can tomato sauce (no sugar)
2- TBS. extra virgin olive oil
Dash: Garlic Powder, dried oregano, dried basil
Bring to boil in saucepan, stirring constantly, then turn to low heat and cover, simmering for 10 minutes or so, stirring frequently. Store in refrigerator.

One chopped low fat mozzerella string cheese stick, or some low fat shredded mozzerella cheese.

Leftover chicken breast (I cut it in half crosswise, into two thin fillets- one whole chicken breast is too much for me at one meal), or chopped/slices of chicken breast, or a 4 or 6 egg white omelette, seasoned to your choice (i use chili powder, garlic salt, dash of water, vigorously beaten until fluffy).

Assmebly: On a microwave safe plate or gladware container, place chicken breast or egg omelette, 3 T. pizza sauce and top with cheese. Microwave around 40-60 seconds until the cheese is just melted.

This is easy. Once the sauce is made, and you have leftover chicken or egg beaters in your fridge, a meal can be made easily and in just a few minutes.

The salmon recipe sounds yummy. Here’s a recipe for the leftovers.

In a bowl using a fork, mash/flake up the cold salmon. Add whatever flavors you wish: garlic salt, chopped red onion, chopped celery. Drizzle with flax seed oil and mix well. Roll a big, generous glob of the mixture into a low carb tortilla.

You can do the same with cold, leftover, cubed chicken breast.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
Hello!

Great idea to start a recipe thread. The diet can get really boring, it’s great to share ideas.

Dunno why this is, I don’t even LIKE pizza, but when low carbing or calorie-cutting or exercising a lot, I crave pizza. I don’t much like bread, and usually eat the stuff off the top of pizza anyway and throw out the crust; nonetheless, I devised this recipe, that I often will eat 2-3 times a day when low carbing. Please note: I don’t cook well, so for those of you with busy schedules, terrible cooks (like me), this is soooo super easy and quick to make.

PIZZA SAUCE:
1- large can tomato sauce (no sugar)
2- TBS. extra virgin olive oil
Dash: Garlic Powder, dried oregano, dried basil
Bring to boil in saucepan, stirring constantly, then turn to low heat and cover, simmering for 10 minutes or so, stirring frequently. Store in refrigerator.

One chopped low fat mozzerella string cheese stick, or some low fat shredded mozzerella cheese.

Leftover chicken breast (I cut it in half crosswise, into two thin fillets- one whole chicken breast is too much for me at one meal), or chopped/slices of chicken breast, or a 4 or 6 egg white omelette, seasoned to your choice (i use chili powder, garlic salt, dash of water, vigorously beaten until fluffy).

Assmebly: On a microwave safe plate or gladware container, place chicken breast or egg omelette, 3 T. pizza sauce and top with cheese. Microwave around 40-60 seconds until the cheese is just melted.

This is easy. Once the sauce is made, and you have leftover chicken or egg beaters in your fridge, a meal can be made easily and in just a few minutes.[/quote]

This recipe is really good! I usually do the same type of thing only in the oven. (It’s my take on Chicken Parm, only healthier.)

Try baking the chicken in the sauce for about 30-40 minutes (depending on the thickness of the chicken). Then sprinkle shredded mozzerella on top and bake for another 5-10 mins. Yum!

What I like to do is put 3 large chicken breasts in a glass pie plate, pour half a jar of Old El Paso medium salsa over it, cover with aluminum foil, and bake it for 45 minutes.

While it’s cooking, I’ll boil some long grain & wild rice.

When it’s all done, I put the chicken breasts into plastic lunch containers, spoon the rice over them, and pour the leftover salsa out of the pie plate onto the rice.

Thanks, that sounds real good. Unfortunately, it is quite infrequent that I have leftovers. I do like the pizza idea though, always good trying something new.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
The salmon recipe sounds yummy. Here’s a recipe for the leftovers.

In a bowl using a fork, mash/flake up the cold salmon. Add whatever flavors you wish: garlic salt, chopped red onion, chopped celery. Drizzle with flax seed oil and mix well. Roll a big, generous glob of the mixture into a low carb tortilla.

You can do the same with cold, leftover, cubed chicken breast. [/quote]

Y’all ready for this? This is my secret college bulking recipe:

1 can of tuna
1 scoop of protein powder of your choice
2 teaspoons of natural peanut butter
75g Oats
flaxseed oil
Water

Tuna shake baby!!!

Simple way to prepare beef or other meats for grilling that gives a fiery crust

-Hellfire steaks
sea salt and crushed black pepper to taste
sprinkle dry mustard over steaks and pat into meat lightly with a fork (don’t be shy with the dry mustard)
Sprinkle tobasco sauce over the steaks to taste.

above is from Steven Raichlen’s how to grill book… awesome guide to grilling/BBQing techniques. I highly reccomend it especially for the $15 price.

a good one for the weekend:
London Broil with Red Wine and Mushroom Sauce
Serves : 6
Prep. Time : 6:00
2 lbs. top round (London Broil) - trimmed of fat
unflavored meat tenderizer - to coat
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbls. lemon juice - preferably fresh
2 Tbls. minced garlic
2 tsp. tarragon vinegar
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 Tbls. olive oil
1 cup red wine
2 cups beef broth - low-fat okay
1 Tbls. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary - crushed
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
salt - to taste

-Sprinkle meat tenderizer over meat to coat entirely, including sides.
-Score meat in diagonal, cris-cross pattern on both sides, about 1/4" deep.
-Allow to sit, covered, at room temperature for 1 hour.
-Combine olive oil, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, vinegar, and black pepper in plastic zipper bag.
-Place meat in bag, coat with marinade, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, turning every hour.
-Saut? mushrooms in olive oil until liquid evaporates; remove from heat.
-In saucepan, whisk together wine, broth, and cornstarch then stir in rosemary, pepper, thyme, and salt.
-Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly.
-When sauce begins to thicken, stir in mushrooms.
-Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
-Place meat on a broiler pan and broil, 4" from heat source, until brown on both sides. Meat inside will be rare/medium rare.
-When meat is cooked, slice into 1/8" - 1/4" thin pieces, across the grain.
-Arrange meat slices on plates and pour mushroom sauce over.

I like to cook, but when I do it’s rather unhealthy. But I do have a question for all you T-Chefs out there, how the hell do you get the smell of garlic off your fingers!??! I diced up some cloves for my last batch of JB’s Chili on Monday and my fingers still REEK! After 3 showers and washing my hands god knows how many times!

two tips
Put some baking soda on hands rub together and rinse with water.

less messy and novelty factor:
hold something stainless steel (10 fingers touching scoop of a spoon) under running cold tap water tap water for a minute or two

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I like to cook, but when I do it’s rather unhealthy. But I do have a question for all you T-Chefs out there, how the hell do you get the smell of garlic off your fingers!??! I diced up some cloves for my last batch of JB’s Chili on Monday and my fingers still REEK! After 3 showers and washing my hands god knows how many times![/quote]

Invest in a garlic crusher. Man that is a sweet tool. You don’t get any garlic juice on you.

Rolo

[quote]jpcrew96 wrote:
Since I am an avid cook, as I am sure most of you are, I was thinking why not start a recipe thread going. If you got a protien packed meal, that tastes good going down let’s hear about it. I’ll start it up:

1. Take 1lb of salmon and place it on a piece of tin foil.
  2. Make some slits in the salmon and place thin slices of fresh garlic.
  3. Cut slices of lemon and place on top of salmon
  4. Sprinkle with paprika and pour a littl olive oil on top
  5. Wrap the salmon so there’s only a slight opening in the top and throw on the grill (low to medium heat)

Should take about 15-20 minutes and you don’t even need to flip it - just wait for white bubbles to coat the top (if you press down it should be relatively firm).

Enjoy [/quote]

great recipe

[quote]matticus wrote:
two tips
Put some baking soda on hands rub together and rinse with water.

less messy and novelty factor:
hold something stainless steel (10 fingers touching scoop of a spoon) under running cold tap water tap water for a minute or two[/quote]

stainless trick works great, although I find that a lot of the time I get just as good results with just cold water by itself. Also, if you’ve got some really stinky garlic, try lemon juice, it get’s the smell out of pretty much everything (plus, after you’ve washed your hands, you can toss it down the garbage disposal to get the smell out of the sink).

here’s one of my personal favorite recipes, just made up a big batch this weekend in fact. Warning, if you’re looking for low carb, low fat, or low protein (why?) skip to the next post. If you want a meal that’s delicious, nutritious, calorically dense, filling, and will stick to your ribs, read on.

Guinness Stew
note: this is my modified version of a recipe from foodtv.com
Serves:6-8 (or 4-6 if you eat like me)

4lb lamb shoulder or beef cubed. (depending on taste. Bone in is great, but you don’t need it)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
24 pearl onions, peeled, root end trimmed
4 medium carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup dried pearl barley
3 cups chicken stock
2 cups stout
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
12 new potatoes, cut in half

Add the oil to a large stew pot over high heat. Brown the meat in small batches, just until it’s browned on the outside, don’t cook it all the way through. Set the meat aside and add the onion, barley, and carrots to the pot, stir to coat in the oil and meat drippings (use a wooden spoon to scrape up all the stuff on the bottom of the pot for flavor). Add the chicken stock, stout, and thyme to the pot. Reintroduce the meet, put the potatos in on top (make sure they’re mostly covered by the liquid, if not, add some water until they are). Bring to a boil and let simmer for an hour or two, stirring occasionally and seasoning with salt and pepper as you go. Broth should be a medium thickness and meat should be fork tender. Serve with (or over) a nice irish brown soda bread. Enjoy.