Recession! What do you do?

Everyone is panicking about a complete collapse of our economic systems around the world as of late.

So if your bank went bust and you lost all your savings, your share portfolio became worthless and you got fired what do you do?

Here in Australia we aren’t all walking around with a 9mm so a life of crime is a little more difficult.

I’ve got food for 1 week maybe 3 if I don’t worry about getting my 1g of protein for pound of bodyweight.

Then what?

Join the Navy.

Duh!

My family and I are already planning ahead. We are stocking up on food,water, and ammo. In essense we all plan on living on a “compound”. My wife told people about this on a different online forum and alot of them makes fun of us and think we’re crazy. Oh well, I know that me and mine are going to be taken care of.

Is this a serious thread?

What country is it where everyone is walking around with a 9mm?

[quote]rainjack wrote:

What country is it where everyone is walking around with a 9mm?

[/quote]

No kidding. We mostly carry .45 ACP’s and .357magnums.

I joined the navy but that was before the this little bump in the road.

are you people actually worried about a collapse in the world?

Pay off your debt and save as much as you can. This is advice that is applicable in any kind of economic situation and not just down-turns.

If I were worrying about the state of my job I might start improving my skills or learn a new one that makes me more valuable to my current position. I might also try and standout to my overpaid boss’ boss.

It never hurts to plan ahead and get that disaster kit ready. Store up a few months supply of canned food (don’t forget a can opener); clean water; fuel; batteries and other sundries; and cash.

Y2K

CERN

Global warming

Super volcanic eruption

Comets and asteroids

Economic collapse

Why even bother trying to survive anymore… We are fucked

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Pay off your debt and save as much as you can. This is advice that is applicable in any kind of economic situation and not just down-turns.

If I were worrying about the state of my job I might start improving my skills or learn a new one that makes me more valuable to my current position. I might also try and standout to my overpaid boss’ boss.

It never hurts to plan ahead and get that disaster kit ready. Store up a few months supply of canned food (don’t forget a can opener); clean water; fuel; batteries and other sundries; and cash.[/quote]

Hey why so pessimistic?

Buy a huuuuuge house, I hear they are cheap right now, and take out a dollar mortgage with a FIXED interest rate.

If the dollar tanks, you win.

If it miraculously recovers and the US economy grows strong again your real estates value will rise.

You also win.

Just remember that debt is your friend when a hyper inflation is just around the corner.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
[/quote]

Nope.

[quote]jawara wrote:
My family and I are already planning ahead. We are stocking up on food,water, and ammo. In essense we all plan on living on a “compound”. My wife told people about this on a different online forum and alot of them makes fun of us and think we’re crazy. Oh well, I know that me and mine are going to be taken care of.[/quote]

Not crazy. You’re just an uber boy scout with being prepared.

I do wonder though. When do you predict the shit to hit the fan since you seem to have preperations well under way?

[quote]Spry wrote:

Everyone is panicking about a complete collapse of our economic systems around the world as of late.

So if your bank went bust and you lost all your savings, your share portfolio became worthless and you got fired what do you do?

Here in Australia we aren’t all walking around with a 9mm so a life of crime is a little more difficult.

I’ve got food for 1 week maybe 3 if I don’t worry about getting my 1g of protein for pound of bodyweight.

Then what?
[/quote]

I live outside of Detroit, so we’ve been practicing for a few decades! When the rest of the country goes we’ll finally get to put our experience to use.