Recent snatch video

Recent snatch training. Not strong yet (115kg) but gradually getting back into it, shooting for the 130s by november

That’s awesome, CT! Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

[quote]Colbstar wrote:
That’s awesome, CT! Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.[/quote]

It’s not awesome… but considering that a few months ago I was coming out of the hospital unable to bench press 200lbs, that’s not bad :slight_smile:

Right now my training is fairly simple:

1. Technical exercise (snatch variation or clean/jerk variation)
  2. Strength movement (a pull or a squat)
  3. Speed movement (power snatch variation, power clean variation or jump squat)

I rotate between snatch and clean & jerk days, train 6 days a week. Although sometimes I only do 2 clean & jerk sessions and replace the 3rd one by a pressing workout.

For the olympic lift variations I only use either lifts from the floor or from blocks (used from the hang when I got back into training, but not once I’m able to hit my positions properly).

My strength movements are: back squat, snatch pull to hips (snatch grip deadlift bringing the bar to the hip crease), clean pull from floor. I don’t do front squats right now because my elbow tends to flare up if I do too many “front rack” exercises.

I’m toying with the idea of adding a light “no feet” lift at the end of each workout… on my snatch workouts I might add 4 sets of 3 no feet cleans at the end of the session and on the clean & jerk sessions I might add 4 sets of 3 no feet snatches. This was recommended by a lifter I train , former Canadian record holder so I might listen to him :slight_smile:

No feet lifts mean doing a snatch or clean without the feet leaving the floor. It’s to work on liftin precision and pulling the bar close at all times.

Damn that’s explosive! Nice, and I hope I can someday be half that explosive! :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s awesome progress after all you have been through. You have helped me more than you will ever know. Thank you! I hope you stay healthy and exceed your expectations.

moving fast ct. can you do more from the blocks than from the floor? love no feet personaly, really helps me finish the pull. good luck with training

[quote]andresarpi wrote:
moving fast ct. can you do more from the blocks than from the floor? love no feet personaly, really helps me finish the pull. good luck with training[/quote]

Right now it’s the same. I’ll take that as something positive technique-wise. When I competed, and had horrible technique but tons of strength I was much stronger from blocks because I would not sweep the bar in from the floor. Now it’s the same.

x2 on the no feet recommendation.

I found it really helped me fix my pull, taught me to be more patient and pull under faster. I’ve been using it as a warm up on heavy days and then once I get to around 70-75% I switch to normal pulling style. I’ve also gone to a max on them as well, I found I can hit about 90% of my snatch no feet but only about 80-85% of my clean that way.

I’ve also done snatches before with no feet & no hands (no hook grip), those were tough!

[quote]Howard Roark wrote:
x2 on the no feet recommendation.

I found it really helped me fix my pull, taught me to be more patient and pull under faster. I’ve been using it as a warm up on heavy days and then once I get to around 70-75% I switch to normal pulling style. I’ve also gone to a max on them as well, I found I can hit about 90% of my snatch no feet but only about 80-85% of my clean that way.

I’ve also done snatches before with no feet & no hands (no hook grip), those were tough![/quote]

I’ll try that “ramping” option tomorrow. All of this year I did mostly no feet lifting because getting under the bar was my problem… it got to a point where I would do the same weight, mostly because I lost power. Now I’m doing more regular style and my power is back, but I’m not as efficient getting under, that ramp might be good to bland in both aspects: a strong pull and going under fast