T Nation

Recent Heart Palpitations, Advice?

So for the last week or so I've been having some weird heart palpitations. These have happened before, but lately they've been happening fairly regularly throughout the course of the day. The disconcerting thing about all this is that I haven't made any serious changes to my diet or lifestyle that would seem to present an issue. The palpitations sometimes become a pulsing in my neck, primarily on the left side.

I get 8 hours of sleep a night, I eat 4 meals a day, usually pretty balanced, I workout pretty hard 4-5 days/week, and I take a few supplements. I take green tea extract 315mg, resveratrol 125mg, a multivitamin, Loratadine 10mg (for seasonal allergies) and vitamin D-3 2000IU. I found D3 a week or so ago after reading Shugart's article.

I figured I'd give it a try. I read up on it a bit beforehand, and I can't seem to think that Vitamin D would have these affects on my heart. But seeing that's the only thing I've added to my diet recently, it's a suspect for sure. The palpitations sometimes become a pulsing in my neck, primarily on the left side.

So since the weird stuff has been happening, I've cut out all supplements - including even my allergy medication. I've also stopped taking protein after my workout, just as a precaution. I'd like to figure out what this is. But I have few options insurance-wise, as my Primary Care Physician is a 15 hour drive from Ohio, where I spend 8 months out of the year. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I forgot to add that I rarely drink coffee anymore, and besides the green tea I don't get much caffeine at all.

My first thought is to remove all stimuli from your diet/supplementation. I've had issues with palpitations too and it just came down to me having to cut all the HOT-ROX, green tea, and caffeine out for a few days. That's what fixed it for me.

If you do need to see a GP, your insurance should clear you to visit one locally, and the doc can request your records if you give him permission to view them. Since we are talking about a cardiac issue here, you really shouldn't sit around and wait on this, you might want to start asking friends/coworkers about good docs today.

So the problems completely subsided after a few days ? Even after re-implementing these supplements? I just scheduled an appointment with a local physician today, so hopefully I can get an EKG at the very least.

Yeah. I am a youngin' though, so I get the luxury of doing whatever the fuck I want to my body and it will still heal through it.

I forgot to mention too, but alcohol was the other thing I had to get rid of. I used to only drink on Friday and Saturday, but I laid off for a weekend and that helped. Now I drink maybe once a month, and I can't tell you how much better training is because of it.

Esophageal spasm could also feel just like your heart skipping. It would be related to possible gastric reflux or even sleep apnea.

Esophageal spasm. I'm gonna look into this a little bit. Can you tell me what you know about it?

I don't drink regularly, but I can imagine this wouldn't help my issues.

Hey man, just last semester i started having heart palpatations, i actually thought i was having a heart attack because out of nowhere my heart started beating incredibly fast and i was becoming short of breath and because it never happened to me before i overreacted.

Ever since i cut out eggs out of my diet they have seemed to have subsided quite a lot. I also am not eating as much lean ground beef(i always cook it in taco seasoning and was having that a lot, i dont know if that contributed to it?) but i have just been eating fish instead. It has subsided but i sometimes have a random beat skip.

I think stress also contributes to it. I was basically not a stressed out person, honestly i get the most stressed out about gym/making sure i get all my meals in more than anything.

I know, it's really disconcerting. I haven't added or changed anything to my diet. I added vitamin D 2000iu last week, but it wouldn't make any sense for that to have a negative effect. I drink a lot of whole milk, but I just can't think of anything that would cause adverse effects.

An open (or swollen) airway from sleep apnea or gastric reflux could cause the esophagus to spasm which could have the feeling of a heart flutter.

I have acid reflux, and often get chest pain or a feeling of tightness from it. When it's especially bad, I feel a bit like I'm being strangled FROM THE INSIDE. And there is the occasional spasm, or, my personal favorite, acid aspiration.

Before I knew what it was, I thought I had all kinds of serious shit wrong with me.

It seems as though the main thing associated with the reflux or esophageal spasm is chest pain, which I haven't had to complain about yet. Maybe that comes later.

Chest pain doesn't have to be present.

The chest pain I get feels nothing like heartburn, if that's what you mean. Also, sometimes there is no chest pain at all. When I first noticed symptoms it was just my throat. I occasionally get spasms in my throat, but there is never any pain there.

Or you could be dying.

Well bottom line is, go see a doctor (seems like you're about to, so nvm)

A couple of months ago my GP stopped practicing cuz she has breast cancer so I got a new doctor. He told me that he hears a murmur in my heart. But he didn't really make a big deal out of it, so me being me, I ignored it and told to myself that the murmur, and the pretty much random out-of-nowhere rapid heartbeat for a minute or two, are due to caffeine or other stimulants (read:spike)

Does anyone know how serious this can be?
Oh and I'm gonna get an EKG next week, cuz gf won't stop bitching about it.