T Nation

Recent Blood Test Results: Anyone Had This Experience?

Hello fellow ironheads,

I recently had my bloodwork done by my PCP; no issue, just routine stuff. But what was interesting was that the blood was drawn after I had been lifting hard for several months, and been on DiPasquale’s Anabolic solution for a bout 6 weeks. I thought it would be a good chance to see how my diet and training were affecting my chemistry.

Here are my results. If you are a trainer/PT/doctor and have some input, it would appreciated. Hell, that’s why I’m posting:

(Unless otherwise stated all values are in mg/dL)
Triglycerides: 92 Normal is 0-200
HDL Cholesterol: 60 Normal is 35-55
Glucose: 56 Normal is 70-105
BUN 33 Normal is 6-19
Creatinine, SER 1.1 Normal is .5-1.2
LDL Cholesterol 108 Normal is 50-130
SGOT(AST) 46 U/L Normal is 8-40
SGPT(ALT) 54 U/L Normal is 0-40

My wife is an ICU nurse and started cautioning me on the results. She was concerned about certain elevated levels, and I was wondering if the High fat, low carb diet did have some adverse affects.

For example, I am happy to see that my Triglyrerides and HDL/LDL values and ratio look great after high fat dieting for 6 weeks, with carb loading on weekends. Check out that blood glucose level. It seems I had been successful in affecting those levels from the diet, as I think Dr. D expects.

However, it looks like kidney and liver functioning seems to be out of whack. High protein the issue? Too many saturated fats?

The BUN, SGOT, and SGPT numbers are out of limits. That has me concerned, and troubled about whether I need to modify the diet.

Any two cents from the experts here?

[quote]MassivePilgrim wrote:
BUN 33 Normal is 6-19
[/quote]

Interesting that you were given some of those ranges. I recently had bloodwork done as well:
Triglycerides…53…Range: <150
HDL…51…Range: >40
LDL…112…Range: <100 Optimal, 100-129 Near Optimal
BUN/Creatinine Ratio…26.7…Range: 6-25
Creatinine Ser…(.9)…Range: .5-1.2

Is it a matter of age/sex variables or are there really several sets of “standard ranges”?

[quote]~karma~ wrote:

Interesting that you were given some of those ranges. I recently had bloodwork done as well:
Triglycerides…53…Range: <150
HDL…51…Range: >40
LDL…112…Range: <100 Optimal, 100-129 Near Optimal
BUN/Creatinine Ratio…26.7…Range: 6-25
Creatinine Ser…(.9)…Range: .5-1.2

Is it a matter of age/sex variables or are there really several sets of “standard ranges”?[/quote]

Hmm. Maybe there are several sets, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s at least two different ones for men and women.

BUN 33 Normal is 6-19
[/quote]

I also got some blood tests a few weeks ago, but mine were done in Spain. Here are my numbers with the ranges given in the results (same units as yours).

Triglycerides:…35…(45-150)
HDL Cholesterol:…56…(35-100)
LDL Cholesterol:…66…(0-170)
Glucose:…104…(70-110)
SGOT(AST):…14 U/L.(11-50)
SGPT(ALT):…19 U/L.(0-40)

Where are all of those T-Doctors???

[quote]Miserere wrote:

I also got some blood tests a few weeks ago, but mine were done in Spain. Here are my numbers with the ranges given in the results (same units as yours).

Triglycerides:…35…(45-150)
HDL Cholesterol:…56…(35-100)
LDL Cholesterol:…66…(0-170)
Glucose:…104…(70-110)
SGOT(AST):…14 U/L.(11-50)
SGPT(ALT):…19 U/L.(0-40)

Where are all of those T-Doctors???[/quote]

Your cholesterol levels seem a bit low, I’m definitely not a doctor though.

Massive Pilgrim,
Here are just a few thoughts of mine, elevated BUN levels are easily affected by the amount of protein being ingested, so one way to combat increasing levels of Nitrates in the blood is to actually increase your water intake along with increasing protein ingestion. What this effectively does is assist the kidneys in flushing out the system of these protein metabolites. As for your elevated AST/ALT levels, they tend to be most affected by diabetes and alcohol intake and judging by the very low glucose levels you are in NO way insulin-resistant, but if you are a drinker may be try and cut back on alcohol consumption, b/c people do have varying capabilities to handle alcohol. So one, alcohol could be a possible reason for elevated liver enzymes, another possibility is non-alcoholic fatty liver disease or fibrosis which can result due to other things besides alcohol, like taking certain drugs which are difficult for the liver to metabolize, so in this sense I would recommend that you speak with an internal med doctor to get a more thorough work-up to rule anything out.
Best of luck and let us all know how it all turns out.

Hello fellow ironheads,

I recently had my bloodwork done by my PCP; no issue, just routine stuff. But what was interesting was that the blood was drawn after I had been lifting hard for several months, and been on DiPasquale’s Anabolic solution for a bout 6 weeks. I thought it would be a good chance to see how my diet and training were affecting my chemistry.

Here are my results. If you are a trainer/PT/doctor and have some input, it would appreciated. Hell, that’s why I’m posting:

BUN 33 Normal is 6-19

My wife is an ICU nurse and started cautioning me on the results. She was concerned about certain elevated levels, and I was wondering if the High fat, low carb diet did have some adverse affects.

For example, I am happy to see that my Triglyrerides and HDL/LDL values and ratio look great after high fat dieting for 6 weeks, with carb loading on weekends. Check out that blood glucose level. It seems I had been successful in affecting those levels from the diet, as I think Dr. D expects.

However, it looks like kidney and liver functioning seems to be out of whack. High protein the issue? Too many saturated fats?

The BUN, SGOT, and SGPT numbers are out of limits. That has me concerned, and troubled about whether I need to modify the diet.

[/quote]

Yikes,

briefly;

–lifting weights elevates liver enzymes–a fact that the staff here know, but most MDs/nurses don’t.

–elevted BUN in most patients who get lab work means they are dehydrated (e.g. fasted for 12 hours), but also affected by protein intake as was said.

–creatinine or better eGFR are better indicators of kidney function.

–MassivePilgrim 56 is fine i.e. no disease, but a pretty low fasting glucose. I start to get fuzzy headed if mine is anywhere near that low.

labs look good otherwise.

–Miserere: are you an endurance athlete, or do that type of exercise? Don’t run across those levels of lipids in most people (I’m assuming you’re not on statins).

–Karma overall labs look good. Ya LDL could be a little lower. How much does that matters? ask your doc…prob not that much.

–normal ranges can differ from lab to lab

[quote]BIGMEX wrote:
Massive Pilgrim,
Here are just a few thoughts of mine, elevated BUN levels are easily affected by the amount of protein being ingested, so one way to combat increasing levels of Nitrates in the blood is to actually increase your water intake along with increasing protein ingestion. What this effectively does is assist the kidneys in flushing out the system of these protein metabolites. As for your elevated AST/ALT levels, they tend to be most affected by diabetes and alcohol intake and judging by the very low glucose levels you are in NO way insulin-resistant, but if you are a drinker may be try and cut back on alcohol consumption, b/c people do have varying capabilities to handle alcohol. So one, alcohol could be a possible reason for elevated liver enzymes, another possibility is non-alcoholic fatty liver disease or fibrosis which can result due to other things besides alcohol, like taking certain drugs which are difficult for the liver to metabolize, so in this sense I would recommend that you speak with an internal med doctor to get a more thorough work-up to rule anything out.
Best of luck and let us all know how it all turns out.

MassivePilgrim wrote:
Hello fellow ironheads,

BUN 33 Normal is 6-19

[/quote]

Thanks BigMex. The information will help in my discussion with the doctor. It COULD be some of the medications I am taking.

Interestingly, I am not a heavy drinker. In fact, I only drink on rare occasions, so I the Doc is going to have to look at causes other than alcohol consumptions.

[quote]ScottL wrote:
Yikes,

briefly;

–lifting weights elevates liver enzymes–a fact that the staff here know, but most MDs/nurses don’t.

–elevted BUN in most patients who get lab work means they are dehydrated (e.g. fasted for 12 hours), but also affected by protein intake as was said.

–creatinine or better eGFR are better indicators of kidney function.

–MassivePilgrim 56 is fine i.e. no disease, but a pretty low fasting glucose. I start to get fuzzy headed if mine is anywhere near that low.

labs look good otherwise.

–Miserere: are you an endurance athlete, or do that type of exercise? Don’t run across those levels of lipids in most people (I’m assuming you’re not on statins).

–Karma overall labs look good. Ya LDL could be a little lower. How much does that matters? ask your doc…prob not that much.

–normal ranges can differ from lab to lab[/quote]

Dehydration makes sense. I’m pissing like a racehorse on the AS diet, and I never seem to get enough water in me. I guess this will have to increase.

I am glad to see info on the elevated liver enzymes. If you have any links on this, please send 'em my way. My doctor is open minded, I think I can get him to consider solid studies if they exist.

Lifting weights elevates liver enzymes? On my last blood test my doctor/P.A. stated that my enzymes were elevated and wanted to do an ultrasound on my liver immediately to find out why. Where could I find more information about this so I can be better prepared the next time I go to the doctor and he tells me that I am “abnormal”?

Also be aware that certain over the counter medications such as Ibuprofen and Tylenol can elevate liver enzymes. I had a shoulder injury recently and when I went in for my biannual blood test, my enzymes were crazy elevated. Most likely due to the 600 mg of Motrin I was taking every 6 hours.

Glucose was just 56!?? Thats way too low man. All of my diabetic classes have said that any thing lower than 70 mg/dl is way too low. Its important man dont let that low carb diet stuff mess w/ you even though it may not be the reason why its so low… anyway eat enough times per day… eat enough every day… blood glucose levels are important for the non-diabetic individual even so b/c your brain has just 2 energy sources: oxygen and glucose. my 2 cents

[quote]ScottL wrote:

–Miserere: are you an endurance athlete, or do that type of exercise? Don’t run across those levels of lipids in most people (I’m assuming you’re not on statins).[/quote]

Endurance athlete? I wish! :smiley: I haven’t been able to do any consistent running in 2-3 years due to patella tracking problems. What little cardio I get is on the rowing machines, and the occasional game of squash.

When I showed my results to my doctor he basically said “get out of my office, I have people who are really sick waiting to see me!” :slight_smile: He did say something I found strange, he asked me if I ate a lot of fat in my diet. I get about 25-30% of my calories from fat, with saturated fats making up less than 1/3 of the total.

Scott, do you suggest I let out my inner marathoner and become and endurance athlete?

Thanks for your comments!