T Nation

Rebuilding the T-Man

My name is Rich, I’m 5’9", and 175lbs. I’m just getting back into the gym and could use good advice. Here are my before and after shots when i began my program. I started at 140lb and i’m trying to get to 195lb lean muscle mass.

I’m new to T-Nation and need advice, critique, tips concerning my look, and training to get ripped quick and gain mass. PLEASE HELP! Here’s my day one pic and day 24. I’ve reviewed some other posts and i know i got a lot to work on so let me have it.

PS. my username sucks can’t figure out how to change it

1. Welcome to the Nation.
  2. You can’t really change your username. You used to be able to, but when the mods realized this, they put a stop to it.
  3. You haven’t really given us a lot of information. The only thing I can advise you to do is list, as accurately as possible, your daily eating, and what your workout regimen looks like.

Also, read the stickies. (They’re the first four threads in the beginner forum. They have a lot of good information for beginners. If that’s you, and you’re posting here, give’em a good read)

[quote]humongous wrote:
My name is Rich, I’m 5’9", and 175lbs. I’m just getting back into the gym and could use good advice. Here are my before and after shots when i began my program. I started at 140lb and i’m trying to get to 195lb lean muscle mass.

I’m new to T-Nation and need advice, critique, tips concerning my look, and training to get ripped quick and gain mass. PLEASE HELP! Here’s my day one pic and day 24. I’ve reviewed some other posts and i know i got a lot to work on so let me have it.

PS. my username sucks can’t figure out how to change it[/quote]

Second this. You haven’t given a lot of info. If that is your current state in the picture then you are lean already. You simply don’t have the muscle to be “ripped”. My advice would have been the same in any case, unless you were a fat slob, but my advice is to forget all thoughts of losing fat and just gain the muscle. Mass up, get up to 205-210 and then cut to your weight.

Gaining mass takes an assload longer than losing fat. You can lose 20 lbs of fat in 8-12 weeks. You can’t gain 20 lbs of muscle anywhere near that fast unless you’re completely un-trained and skinny.

If you’ve already been gaining weight the first thing to check is your calories. It’s a simple solution but quite frankly it’s one most people overlook–the level of calories that got you from 140 to 175 is not going to get you to 200. When weight gain stalls the first thing to do is to increase your calorie intake to restart the scales moving.

The second thing to do is make sure you’re improving in the gym from month to month. Maybe not max weight, could be doing more volume, doing more reps at the same weight, taking less rest, whatever. Improve some aspect of your gym time every week, and ROTATE the ones you’re working on–in other words don’t get stuck on one aspect week in and week out. When pushing more weight up stalls, work on doing more reps or overall volume for a few weeks.

Don’t try to lose fat while bulking up. You’ll just spin your wheels and get nowhere.

Thanks for the reply i appreciate the advice and welcoming. I’m starting week four tomorrow at 173lbs, remember i started at 140lbs. At the gym i’m doing a basic newbie workout bench press,squats,deadlifts,rows,russian twist,barbell curls e.t.c. I’m weak as hell so i won’t post the weight. I c most of u guys are lifting over 200 and i’m no where near that so far. but i’m increasing 5 to 10 pounds each workout. Any tips on increasing strength? thanks for the heads up on weight gain i’m definately seeing results with this program i’m doing but i could always improve. what foods do u recomend to really put on weight fast?

[quote]humongous wrote:
Thanks for the reply i appreciate the advice and welcoming. I’m starting week four tomorrow at 173lbs, remember i started at 140lbs. At the gym i’m doing a basic newbie workout bench press,squats,deadlifts,rows,russian twist,barbell curls e.t.c. I’m weak as hell so i won’t post the weight. I c most of u guys are lifting over 200 and i’m no where near that so far. but i’m increasing 5 to 10 pounds each workout. Any tips on increasing strength? thanks for the heads up on weight gain i’m definately seeing results with this program i’m doing but i could always improve. what foods do u recomend to really put on weight fast?[/quote]

lots of dead animals+potatoes

[quote]humongous wrote:
Thanks for the reply i appreciate the advice and welcoming. I’m starting week four tomorrow at 173lbs, remember i started at 140lbs. At the gym i’m doing a basic newbie workout bench press,squats,deadlifts,rows,russian twist,barbell curls e.t.c. I’m weak as hell so i won’t post the weight. I c most of u guys are lifting over 200 and i’m no where near that so far. but i’m increasing 5 to 10 pounds each workout. Any tips on increasing strength? thanks for the heads up on weight gain i’m definately seeing results with this program i’m doing but i could always improve. what foods do u recomend to really put on weight fast?[/quote]

tips on strength–work hard. Seriously. Just work hard and learn to grind out movements when it gets tough. Lots of people just stop when it feels like the bars not moving, and the truth is that if they just kept pushing and refused to quit they’d probably finish that rep.

Just try and beat some aspect of your workout every time you come back to the gym. Any aspect will do.

Foods for gaining really are not that important. Don’t eat shit. Just eat lots of dead animal, veggies, good carb sources. Don’t shy away from a burger or pizza, just don’t let that become your primary food intake or a way to make excuses about your diet. They kill cutting diets but can be useful for bulking as long as you are making the majority of your food intake healthy.

I like whole milk a lot for shakes and extra calories while trying to gain weight. Provided you are not lactose intolerant. Some people hate it, some love it. It definitely can have a down side but at this point in time you are not likely to run into those problems unless you are already allergic to lactose or insulin resistant (which is not likely).

thanks for tips i will apply it to my work out and give you my updated results at the end of the week. As i increase my weight on front squats, bench press, and dead lifts i’m starting to get painful headaches and advil just doesn’t cut it. What is causing these headaches and how can i cure it? any tips?

[quote]humongous wrote:
thanks for tips i will apply it to my work out and give you my updated results at the end of the week. As i increase my weight on front squats, bench press, and dead lifts i’m starting to get painful headaches and advil just doesn’t cut it. What is causing these headaches and how can i cure it? any tips?[/quote]

I used to get bad headaches that would happen when I would do heavy back squats or jerks. It might be similar. They’d flame up half-way through a set, and stay with me until the end of the workout, maybe for a while after, and eventually go away after I’d relaxed for the evening. No amount of water/food/fish-oil could make it go away.

What it ended up being was my breath. I’d get in a belly-full of air and descend into the squat… and this is where it gets difficult to describe, but instead of the tension staying in my belly, it would rise into my chest and neck, and start my headache. I can’t really get more scientific than that. The solution was to breathe out slowly during the concentric portion of the exercise. Rather than hold the tension in, I let it out. It reduced the max weight I could move, but the headaches went away, and as I kept at it I was able to hit those same weights with good form later.

Otep: thanks for the tip. Just got back from the gym and i applied your method. No headaches! Good look man.

Whats your training + diet look like at this point?? Help up help you.

i’m just doing a full body workout with normal compound exercises bp,pull ups,dl,front squats-three times a week. I’m just eating tons of food as much as i can all day long. all i can say at this point is that im improving my physique by the week and i’m staying focused strictly on gains. i must get huge quick, so i’m researching tips on how to achieve my goals.

i plan to go up to 205 then cut down to 190 lean muscle. I appreciate any tips concerning my mission. all good advice will be implemented into my program. thanks