Rebuilding Cartilage

I recently broke my ankle and had surgery. The fracture was described as a highlow fracture. Anyway, the doctor said the main concern was rebuilding the cartilage around the bone, because the surgery had put the bones in the right place.

How can this be done quicker? I’m doing some form of physical therapy by moving it up and down but I was wondering if there was any other way that I could rebuild the cartilage.

[quote]norcal_BALLER wrote:
I recently broke my ankle and had surgery. The fracture was described as a highlow fracture. Anyway, the doctor said the main concern was rebuilding the cartilage around the bone, because the surgery had put the bones in the right place.

How can this be done quicker? I’m doing some form of physical therapy by moving it up and down but I was wondering if there was any other way that I could rebuild the cartilage. [/quote]

Cartilage cannot be ‘rebuilt’. Any chondral damage is permanent.

I’m not sure I understand exactly what you had done surgically. Did the doctor mention anything about ‘drilling’ or ‘microfracture’?

There is a common proceedure whereby the surgeon drills small holes in the subchondral bone to allow bleeding into the cartilage defect. This results in the formation of pseudocartialge to fill the defect.