Reboot

do you do the LYTP shoulder circuit thing like the rest of us old cripples? works a treat for me. I’ve also added 50-100 band pull-aparts at beddy-bye time. shoulders feel pretty good now.

your skating is off the hook.

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
do you do the LYTP shoulder circuit thing like the rest of us old cripples? works a treat for me. I’ve also added 50-100 band pull-aparts at beddy-bye time. shoulders feel pretty good now.

your skating is off the hook.[/quote]

No I never. fact I’ve never heard of it. I did and am doing a lot of stabilizer exercises to strengthen all the assisting muscles. It seems to be working. I would be interested in learning about the LYTP shoulder circuit. One can never learn to much.

My skating is my passion and it’s growing. I feed it iron and it grows stronger. The stronger I get the faster I go and fast is what it’s all about.

Skated yesterday, again after several cool days. Spent most of the skate dealing with the effects of the heat on my performance. Everytime I pushed it hard I had to deal with nauseous repercusions. Today I just spent as much time in the sun as possible. I’ll do the same in the morning before I skate. It really does help.

Took the bike over my course today. Not quite the distance I had thought. The new loop is 7.2km and the skate there is 8km. This makes my last few skates 44km in 2h45m. Now that I know this, the game is afoot. My skates are all preped for tomorrow, bearings are clean and relubed. I’ll bring it to five loops. This will give me a workout of 51.2km. Should take about three hours. I’m hoping for a much better performance on the sprints. I keep myself well hydrated which makes my over heating annoying to say the least. Well tomorrow is another day and a fresh start so anything can happen and will.

Looks like you’ve been training like a madman. Every time I see your thread I think of the energizer bunny. Always impressive Streamline.

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Looks like you’ve been training like a madman. Every time I see your thread I think of the energizer bunny. Always impressive Streamline.[/quote]

Right now I feel like a drained energizer bunny. Need to plug myself in somewhere. The training is going great. The lack of discomfort in my shoulder is testament to my continued success.

Five laps, 52km in roughly 2.5 hours. It was an awesome skate. Kept a solid pace on the climbs and lite it up on the decent. Took fifteen minutes on my average time. My feet were on fire by the end. Makes for a long skate home. My skates are a tight fit with no room for swelling. After a couple hours the feet get a little swollen. I try bunching my toes for better circulation, but it’s hard when there’s so little room for movement. Needless to say I was reliefed with there removal, extremely reliefed to be honest.

I know tomorrow’s skate will be awesome. Right now with my feet still in recovery I don’t even want to think about tomorrow. So I’ll let tomorrow take care of it’s self. Now I need to stretch and massage my feet.

Streamline, if you could bottle that enthusiasm, you’d be a gazillionaire.

[quote]cavalier wrote:
Streamline, if you could bottle that enthusiasm, you’d be a gazillionaire.[/quote]

There’s that giant “IF” again. Would be nice but I’ll have to settle for what I’ve got. I could aways buy lottery tickets, someone has to win!

I’m kind of tired of my feet hurting. When I’m trying to make my legs hurt. Today has going to be different. As soon as I hit the circuit I laided it down hard. I powered the inclines until my legs screamed. Then I kept pushing, telling myself over and over to push. I’m sure I said it out loud more than once. I caught my breath, drank some water and headed back down.

I used the arms until I had my speed. Tucked down low hand behind, remembering to push the ass back to get more power in the legs. It burns so much holding that low position. My glutes are just screaming but I keep it low. I flew by everything trying to get to the end as soon as possible. The burn doesn’t stop until I do.

Water and rest at each end. Then back at it. Three loops and my legs were fried. I was soaked in sweat on my way to the water stop. I eased it through the badlands and hydrated myself good. My legs had recovered by the time I reach the overpass. So I decided to run the guantlet. Up the overpass and lite it up. It didn’t take long for me to start regreting my decision. Regrets or not I gave it everything I had. Once at the turn around with legs of led. I rested a bit and emptied the tank on the way home.

Came to 42.6km in 1hr 52min. Not to bad, plus now that I’ve recovered. I can say it was an awesome skate. Nothing quite like that feeling of having given it all and survived to do it again! Staying strong for tomorrow!

The day has finally come. I was not expecting this lastest development in my skating quest. It’s been a week since I last skated. Which is the way this month will unfold, lots of work. Anyway I headed out for some fun after my chest and back workout this morning. I got to the watering hole. Which is just before the badlands, my little piece of hell! Filled my water container and headed for the badlands.

I hit the packed dirt and gravel trail with the usual vibrations rattling my body. Powered through the first section and crossed the road. Where before me has heaven! I could still smell the fresh ashphalt. It was awesome, a virgin path of awesome black with my yellow brick road right down the centre. The presser or what ever they call that ashphalt presser. Was still parked between the sections so I am hoping to see my badlands turn into paradise grove. It’s such a beautiful area. A tunnel through the trees. I’ll enjoy it so much more when I’m not trying to save my ass from falling.

It’s also cool because both ends of the badlands are at the bottom of a decent. Life is going to be so much sweeter. I’ll pretty much have a 8km circuit with only slow down and possible stops. This is so important to the development of my leg power and endurance. Plus I have access to the watering hole with out having to travel the nightmare. So my life is going great. Did 30km the easy way. Had a blast and I’m really looking forward to this winters training now. Because of today I will be better than ever tomorrow!

Damn, that’s downright poetry.

Had an easy 37km skate today. Plan on pushing hard tomorrow. With luck the rest of the trail will get paved on Saturday. The trail is a major traffic artery for bike commutors from the western communities into Victoria. Makes Saturday the only day they can get away with paving.

I was finally able to fix a minor discomfort with my skates. My skates are made of a material that has heat mold technology. So I was able force a wedge into the toe area using a blow dryer to heat the material to it’s molding ability. I had a much more comfortable skate now that my toe has it’s space. I was fine with the short skates but once the km’s start piling up the discomfort increases. Now the skates home should be somewhat easier to tolerate.

Did a shoulder workout this evening. I’m now pushing hard on both the behind the head military press and the front shoulder press. Still only at 70lbs but since it’s been years since I’ve been successful at a progessive shoulder workout happy. I’m sure I’ll continue to make progress. I’m still being patient, I’m in no hurry and have no agenda. I am however looking forward to doing some solid chest workouts this winter. Once again the beast within shall be released and the power of iron will flow through me like a raging river!

Started the day off with a chest and back workout. Nothing special, still lifting between 140-160lbs. I can’t really go over that until I know my shoulder is strong enough. It’s at 180-200lbs that I keep hurting my shoulder. In time, everything will happen in time. Solid workout nun the less!

Anytime I drag my ass home like I did today, I’m thrilled. I spent it all and brought nothing home, and I really would like to smile about it. I just don’t have the energy right now. Five laps, giving me 52km’s in 2.5 hours. I had a sweet challenge on the forth decent. Honestly, the only thing worse than a challenge on the forth lap is another on the fifth. It’s down hill, it’s supposed to be easy. Another awesome day in the sun.

The trail is actually a real blast to skate. Nothings flat and straight doesn’t last long. Several blind corners to keep it interesting. Mostly it’s all the curves, turns and short steep climbs that keeps the it so exciting. Nothing like taking a corner at 30+kmh not knowing if any idiots are going to be standing in your lane scratching their ass. Think faster!

the lytp shoulder goodness is all contained in the mobility for old farts thread. works a treat for the aging shoulder

As I was pumping up my arms this morning a thought occured to me. It took me ten years of lifting to hit a bench of 254lbs a deadlift of 404lbs and a squat of 334lbs. Yet I have in my head this idea that I can regain this prowess in a year or so. I know it’s not going to happen, but that hasn’t always the case. This could be the reason for my reoccuring shoulder problem. It’s really to easy to forget all the hours of hard work that it took the first time round.

I’m settling myself in for a long hard haul back to the top. Luckily muscle has a certain amount of memory, which is good and bad I would say. It makes us believe it’s going to be an easy job. This in it’s self could be the reason for so many failed come backs and or injuries. I’ve always questioned whether or not athletes gave themselves the time needed to stage a come back. A couple years of training doesn’t seem to cut it. Even with a good base the journey will be a difficult one. I quess that’s why so few succeed. Well I have nothing better to do and I love a challenge.

Knocked off 37.6km at a good pace. Had some fun but my heart sank once I saw the paving has not been continued. Not sure if or when and I don’t wish to dwell upon the matter, for reasons of sanity. Getting new wheels at the end of the month. That will make a big difference. My wheels are a little on the worn side. This makes for a rougher ride and a minor reduction in speed. It makes the price worth it, just for the speed! Tomorrow is another day and a fresh start!

The question is, can we always get back to the top? I think the top has to be adjusted at a certain point. Try as I may I’m certain I couldn’t get back to my peak at this point. But it’s the journey that counts so enjoy it.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
The question is, can we always get back to the top? I think the top has to be adjusted at a certain point. Try as I may I’m certain I couldn’t get back to my peak at this point. But it’s the journey that counts so enjoy it. [/quote]

Enjoy it I will! It’s the fact that I will never know if I don’t try, that drives me. At twenty I had know idea what fifty would be like. I did set out to make it the best I could. If I was twenty and saw me now I maybe surprized. By my mid thirties I had little doubt what fifty could be like. Fact there is little doubt in my mind what seventy will be like. It’s the journey however, just like you stated. It’s the journey that’s filled with adventure. The destination is usually anticlamatic.

Had a good shoulder workout. Everything is looking great. I have zero discomfort, unless I sleep on my arm (bad habit). I’m now at my injury max. As long as I stay patient I should pull this off. I’m looking forward to struggling to get a 100lb shoulder press! I can see it happening and that’s all I need!

What a brutal four days of work. I’m covering for holidaying workers. One on one with a seven year old boy. Eyes on twenty-four/seven, I’m now very happy with the teenagers I work with.

Shoulders are doing great. Small increases but steady progress. Starting to think about adding more exercises. Maybe add one new exercise in September and October.

I’m so ready to go for a long hard skate tomorrow. It’s been a week and I’ve got some stress to get rid of. Just need to make sure I don’t go out to hard and fast. I don’t want a lactic acid build up in my legs. Just a long hard skate, spend it all and bring home nothing but a tired sorry ass!

Today was another testament of my resovle. I got the day going with an arm workout. Still just under 100lbs but keeping the reps at twelve. I start with long warm-up. Basically until the shoulders and any DOMS are worked out. Then increase until exhaustion. The high reps keep me from getting ahead of my shoulders. Pumped the shit out of them and went for a skate.

It was sweet, 66.4 kms in roughly 3.15 hrs. The weather was sunny and 24C/80F, just an awesome day. Started of easy, used a cyclist to pace me for the first 10km. Did the first lap and a half at a good pace. Just coming up on the turn around when I see an electric scooter coming at me. I really can’t help myself.

I pulled my water bottle out before the turn around. There would be no water stop. Got my fluid down and did a quick about face. It was down a quick hill across a planked bridge up a hill and then petty must down hill the rest of the way. At first I thought I was slowing down. They top out at 30km and he had a good 300m on me. It took a while before I saw him and that was that! I had him, or so I thought. He did a turn off so I kept on pounding it. My exhibition spot was was coming up fast and I do love to show off. I blew through there in good forum and there was my scooter. Parallel me on the road and about 30m in the lead. I was able to tag him before he turned off again. 100m before my turn about, that was sweet.

Kept chancing everything in sight. I had 7 laps on my mind and succeeded. I was tired and my feet were once again on fire. A very discomforting feeling. Only worsened by the badlands and the last four planked bridges. Coasted as much as possible, I just wanted to be home but speed was not an option. I am so looking forward to getting some new wheels. They will make the skates so much smoother. It’s been three hours and I’m still recovering. Not skating regularly has it’s draw backs. The month is almost over and so are the extra shifts. I still love it, every minute!

Time to say good-bye to this thread. My pre-training conditioning is complete. The upper body progress will stay at small increases. The legs are another matter all together. I’m really stoked about this winter’s training. They have come out with a rain wheel, this is huge. Fact bigger than huge, what’s that, gigantic! Next post will be Training Day Sept 01/11!