Reboot

I have spent the last year and a bit. Trying to find something new to motivate me. I had decided to train for the Ironman, but my ankles can’t take the pounding. They just swell and ach, tried several times hoping it was just a matter of time and healing. No such luck!

Out of bordom I put the skates back on and I’m in love again. Kind of funny how we can so easily forget what brings us such pleasure. I’ve been hitting the trail regularly and yesterday I saw another set of speed blades on the trail. I thought about stopping for a chat, but decided to wait and see how he shreds the ashphalt. Time will tell, but there may be a training partner out there.

Doing a mixed workout with weights and push-pull-ups. Time to start getting ready for the big 60. I will be ready willing and able to take on any challenge that comes my way.

Did a solid arm workout this morning. Hope to get out on the trail later, but the day is looking pretty tight. Still toughening up the feet as well. Lots on blisters and sore spots. It’s going to be an awesome summer, no doubt about it!

Hello again, Streamline. When you say you’re getting ready for 60, does that mean you’re 59 yrs old? Gad, that’s even older than me (55).

Welcome back Streamline…

welcome home you old skating fart!

53 soon, real soon 54. I like to take my time getting ready. Besides I still need to know what I’m getting ready to do. What ever it is, it’s going to be fun. Both getting there and being there.

Looking forward to doing a bench workout tomorrow. It’s been a long time since I tried bench pressing. However I have worked hard to fix my shoulder. Now with a very strict low weight high rep workout I hope to be able to start pressing heavy’r in about six months.

Need to go out and find that speed blader I saw. I real hope he has an interest in going fast. That would be so cool to have someone to skate with now and then. Well tomorrow only comes if I go to bed. Later!

Hey, welcome back dude. You been okay?

Great to be back guys.

No, JoeGood I was healthy of body at least. Ran into some motivational problems that needed sorting out. Basicly I needed to get my head out of my ass. Problem was someone said I looked good that way. Which then swoll my head up and I couldn’t get it out.

Great thing is I’m feeling awesome and very motivated.

Did my chest and back this morning. Pretty light weight but enough to feel I did something. It really feels great to have full mobility in my shoulder again. It’s like being young again, only wiser ( I hope ).

Looking forward to a skate this afternoon. The wind is up and the sun is playing hide 'n seek, which should mean a clearer trail. Either way it’s going to be a ton of fun. Living for today, tomorrow can wait!

Great to be back guys.

No, JoeGood I was healthy of body at least. Ran into some motivational problems that needed sorting out. Basicly I needed to get my head out of my ass. Problem was someone said I looked good that way. Which then swoll my head up and I couldn’t get it out.

Great thing is I’m feeling awesome and very motivated.

Did my chest and back this morning. Pretty light weight but enough to feel I did something. It really feels great to have full mobility in my shoulder again. It’s like being young again, only wiser ( I hope ).

Looking forward to a skate this afternoon. The wind is up and the sun is playing hide 'n seek, which should mean a clearer trail. Either way it’s going to be a ton of fun. Living for today, tomorrow can wait!

My shoulders are feeling awesome. All the stabilizer push-up I’ve been doing have really paid off. Those coupled with all the awesome shoulder stretches I got on this form. My we feel like new, no stiff and sore shoulders every morning. Not mention the lack of sharp pains with certain movements. I’m still holding to my reboot plan nice and easy, I’m doing it right this time. No more going bachwards for this lifter.

As for skating, my perma smile is back on my face. I’m having a summer of fun. The training will start in the fall. The goal is very simple. Go as far as I can as fast as I can. The training will not be so easy, but I’m going to love every minute.

Right now I’m just skating hard and fast. Trying not to throw-up to often, the hot days are the worst. The temps here have been really cool all spring and into summer. The 23 degree celcius will pretty much get an up-chuck out of me. If it wasn’t for the taste I whouldn’t give a shit. Bile is the worst but washs down pretty easy. It won’t matter much, once we get conditioned life is easier or at least tastes better.

My arms and shoulders arm stiff again, time to do some stretching. Back to work it is. Can’t wait till tomorrow!

Summer is a total loss so far. Everything else is happening. Workouts are going great. It is a little frustrating having to lift such light weights. Still the shoulder is doing great, again it’s all agout doing it right this time. I’m maxing my bench at 120lbs and shoulder presses at 60lbs, keeping the reps at 12 or more. No fast presses, everything is controled and in form. Soon, that’s all that matters!

Skating is awesome, I’m getting my lungs back so sprints are a lot more fun (without the up chucks). I’ll be chasing everything in sight before I know it. I think I’m going to check out the trail in the western communities. There is a gap in the trail that is not paved so I have not gone to the other side. Not sure how far the paving goes before it goes natural. Time to step out of the comfort zone. So tomorrow will be a day of adventure, time to lay claim on some new turf. The kingdom shall be expanded, the conquest is on!

Well, well, well. I’ve been awol a little from the boards and look who’s back. Have seriously missed your input and adrenaline charged work outs. Watch out for cars and look forward to your posts, again.

Thanks Hel320, I’ve missed being here, my head was somewhere else for a bit. Great to be back in the mix. Had a really good chest workout. Took it up to a whooping 130lbs. It went easy and clean, so I instantly wanted to try 140lbs. The battle in my head raged for several minutes before I regained control of the beast within. Finished the workout feeling great. I could feel my shoulder labor a little with the pull ups so I dropped a little weight and all went well.

It’s really frustrating, but I vowed to take my time and fix this problem. It was never a serious injury. I’ve just never been able to control the beast within, or I’ve never really wanted to (more like it). Most likely a guy thing, not this time. The discomfort is growing old and it can be fixed, end of story.

I’m all psych’d about my daily skate. Just seeing if I can get the blessing of the sun god for a couple hours. My repeated prayers and human sacrifices have gone unanswered for most of the summer. I may have to up the stakes a little, have a worship day or something, anything just give us some sun. Okay, cry babying grows old fast, but still!!!

The shoulder needs to be pampered, the legs don’t and they showed it. Haven’t been out skating the few days so the legs were fresh. I checked out some new turf for me. At my usual turn around is the end of pavement for some distance. Today I discovered the distance is around 1/2-1 km or 500-1000 yds. Packed dirt with fine gravel. Shit keeps kicking up and hitting my ankles, annouying but not life threatening. Well it’s greener on the other side, that’s for sure.

Two slow down use caution crossings and one hell of alot of territory to cover. Just the fact there are only two crossings is worth it. I’ll need to get the gsp monitor out next time. It was such a fun skate, lots of hill but not steep. The distance between crossing was a dream come true. I blazed the trail and laid my stink down for all to know, I have arrived!

I’m really looking forward to getting comfortable with my new turf. I really noticed the difference once I got back to my old stomping ground. I skated the addition twice and then hit the old trail. With everything all warmed up. I poured it on, made both traffic lights (just) passing everything in between. I just flew down the gauntlet, it being Sunday and a little safer. What a feeling of exilaration. That first burst of speed coming off the over pass. Then the slight down grade for the first half of the run. All this and my thrist for more speed makes for one hell of a thrill ride.

I’m really stoked about all the new trail that’s available. The crossing as I will call it. Is going to take time to master crossing with any real speed. Once I’m comfortable with the surface conditions. I’ll start testing the possibilities of a speed crossing. Never say never, until you’ve tasted the agony of defeat. Having 100mm wheels will make the difference between pain and glory. That and my awesome skills.

Been having all kinds of fun on the trail, until today. Picked up the nike sensor I needed to activate the gps nike/ipod workout app. I had everything all set up and going. When I reach back to check my distance. My iphone4 was no longer there. We’ve all had that feeling and we all hate it. Anyway I spent the next hour and a half looking for my phone. The good news, someone found it and phoned the first number in the contacts, my daughter. So I have my phone back. Tomorrow I will start logging my skates with distance, time and energy spent (calories).

I have a big month this August, so I’ll have my home gym at 70-80% complete. Just in time to start training for the fall and winter. I hope my shoulder will be a lot stronger by then. That will allow me to start pulling some heavy weight. So I can of course, “go faster”. Now I’m waiting for tomorrow so I can redo today, correctly! Staying strong, I’ll need all my strength when I hit a 120yrs!

First, the nike sensor doesn’t work with skates. That or I just can’t make it work. Time for the geek squad, daughters boyfriend. I’ll need to us my bike and odometer to track my distance. Best guess for todays workout is round about 50km, in just over two and a quarter hours. My feet were so sore I couldn’t get the skates off fast enough.

Need to do a lot of stretching before tomorrow. Supposed to be an awesome day for playing in the sun.

Pefect day. Sunny, no wind, and about 25c or 80F. Put in the same distance as yesterday, about 50km. I have fallen in love with my new turf. It’s a grueling up hill grade almost the entire distance. This makes for an awesome workout. Bust a nut one way and light it up the other way.

There is a sweet spot on the return. It has a really nice down grade. Better yet the trail comes out along side the road for a stretch. Now being a Virgo/Rooster this time to strut my stuff, and I do. I get into form and just pour it on. There’s some nice curves and dips to make it a lot of fun. I’m most likely hitting 35kph or better. It’s such a blast, I’ve got this huge smile on my face that I just can’t get rid of.

The trip home however can remove the smile. My feet are so sore and the roughest parts of the trail are on the very last leg. Long planked bridges and rough road. The vibrations really suck. I can know longer get up the speed the cross these areas quickly. So I suffer in silence looking forward to getting these skates off on poor feet. Socks too! That’s one way to spell relief.

Tomorrow will cool off to around 16c or about 65F. I may take the day off. I’ll see what the weather looks like for the rest of the week first. Might be a good time to take the bike out and measure up my new turf. Right now I need a rest period. Staying strong, for the kids!

Great to have you back sl. I love the way you write about your training rolls.

Finally getting some summer like weather. Should be a great long weekend. Had a good skate today but nothing special. A little light on the distance, but tomorrow I plan on adding another loop. Which I believe to be around 12-15km. That should bring up over 60km. Still need to get out on the bike.

My shoulder started aching again. So I took a week off to heal up a little. Back at it tomorrow. That and a great skate will make for a awesome start to the weekend. I’ve got all kinds of sores no my toes and ankles. I’m going to need to prep my feet if I plan on making any distance tomorrow. It’s crazy but the lungs and the legs will go for ever. My feet on the other hand need some serious pampering. For something thats does so little, effort wise. They sure demand a lot of attention.

Now I’m getting all worked up. On another note I’m trying to come up with a challenging number. I have a nine month training season. Starting this September and going until June 2012. Now a 1000km a month is a nice round number. I figure I should be able to ajust distances according to weather. With a couple good months I think I can hit 10,000km in nine months. Sounds more like a pipe dream, but with some decent weather it’s within reason. Hoping to get a really good gps tracker for September. Make thinks more precise, I’d really hate to short myself. Well there we go, the number is up there. Time to get my head in the games, it’s going to be a fuck’n blast! Staying strong!

I’m exhausted, and I had one hell of a great time getting there. Added the extra lap, making it four. Should bring my distance up to 60+km. Worked hard on the climbs and then kicked it up for the speed on the decline. I’m generating some serious speed, with room for more. Just need to get my legs up to the challenge. My hamstring just scream on the decline. I get down as low as possible and it just burns those hammies.

I should be pulling 80km states by the end of August. I have a lot of extra work coming at me for most of the month. I’ll still have time for skating, just not as much. I’m already at 60+ (I think) so life is great in my small piece of heaven. I’m getting my skates done in under three hours. So if my distances are correct or close, I’m doing really good. Otherwise I have to work even harder, sigh! Hope to repeat myself tomorrow. Got some moleskin for my new blister, battle wound! Need to pamper my feet, can’t be having angry feet.

Worked my shoulders this morning. Got really good workout in. No real stiffness to speak of. They do get a lot a movement when I skate. I’m really hopeful this time. Staying strong!

Except for the shoulder workout, it was a wasted day. I can actually feel my shoulders are starting to have to work. I’ve added some more light weight sets. This is giving my shoulder a longer workout without increasing weight. It really seems to be helping. I feel stronger on the final sets. I’m really not doing any other lifting. The basic maintenance work. I just keep getting frustrated not being able to lift more. So I’ve decided to work the shoulders, maintain the rest and skate until the shoulders are strong enough.

So it will be winter before things really start to fall into place. Patience grasshopper!