3x3: 47.5kg
3x10

Dumbbell Shoulder Press/Neutral Grip Pull Ups
3x5: 22.5kg
3x5: 5kg

Standing Single Arm External Rotation
3x10 each shoulder

Boxing Session - 5:30pm

Laps round gym then did different sprint drills i.e shuttles, zig-zags etc. for 15 minutes

3x2 Shadowboxing
4x2 Shadowboxing w/ Partner: just using them as a target but not actually hitting them, if that makes sense.
3x2 Pads
2x2 Partner Pads
4x2 Bags: different drills

Bodyweight circuit to finish

Tuesday

3 Mile Run - 4:20pm

Just under 24 minutes, kept an easy pace all the way round.

I think for now I’m going to stop shooting for a pr every run because my legs are having a hard time recovering especially if I’m working on the weekend (job involves lots of walking). The point of only doing the run is so I have an easy day in the week, where I just get the blood flowing and killing myself to beat my time defeats the whole purpose.

Think I will just start going for a pr once a month or so I can use it to assess my progress (or lack of).

26/4/17

Circuit - 11:30am

Forgot my timer so went on reps

KB Swings x30 @20kg
Dumbell Push Press x15 @12.5kg
KB Sumo Squat/Deadlift x30 @20kg
Renegade Rows x8 each arm @12.5kg

Circuit x3 with less than a minute rest.

Laps round gym+some dynamic warm ups and stretches
2x2 Shadowboxing
4x2 Sparring: Felt good today, something really clicked. Just decided to relax and have fun and stay on my toes, it worked well and the coach said it was the best he’s ever seen me.

Bodyweight circuit to finish, still felt fairly fresh after sparring

So much for 99% sure I wouldn’t be boxing on 4th May. Coach told me he’s just waiting for someone to get back to him about fighting me then on our gyms show. It’s not definite, still haven’t heard but I’m excited. He also said he wanted me at 72kg so I don’t have to lose anything.

28/4/17

Strength Session - 9:35am

Hang Cleans
4x3: 40kg, 50kg, 50kg, 50kg

Speed Squats/Band Pull Aparts w/ External Rotation
4x3: 42.5kg
4x10

Speed Dumbbell Incline Press/Plyo Press Ups/Standing Single Arm External Rotation
4x5: 15kg
4x5: bodweight
4x10 each shoulder

Boxing Session - 4:30pm

Warm up on ropes+bodyweight exercises

1x2 Shadowboxing
8x2 Bags: non-stop punching, brutal conditioning
4x1 Footwork Drills
1x1 Pads
4x1 Bags: fast as possible, coach shouting, more brutal conditioning

1x5 Ropes and stretch off

Coach said I’m matched for our show on 4th May! Can’t wait, not really feeling anything yet, will probably get increasingly more excited/nervous until then. It’s less than a week away…
I’ll try and get a video to put up, would be eager to get feedback from the more experienced members when the time comes.

Hey that’s awesome buddy! Your sure to learn a lot in your 1st match up. Best of luck

Hey congrats on getting a fight! Definitely post up a video if you are able to. Also keep in mind that it’s your first fight, you probably won’t be Mayweather, but the fact that you are taking that step into the ring is something to be proud of in and of itself and you will learn (both about your skills and about yourself) valuable lessons as a result.

Good luck!

Thanks fellas @Irishman92 @Sentoguy ,will definitely try and get a video.

2/5/17

Saturday

Boxing Session - 10:00am

1x5 Ropes+dynamic stretches and plyos to warm up

2x2 Shadowboxing
8x2 Bags
3x2 Partner Pads

Bodyweight circuit+1x5 on ropes to finish

Monday

Laps round gym and dynamic stretches+2x2 Shadowboxing to warm up

2x1 Pads: high intensity, sharp
8x1 Bags: non-stop punching every round

Little bodyweight circuit+1x5 on the ropes to cool down

Tuesday

1x5 Ropes+dynamic stretches and 2x2 shadowboxing to warm up

1x5 Bag
6x1 Pads: high intensity

1x10 Rope to cool down

Well…

Took two standing 8 counts (one in 1st rnd one in 2nd rnd) off two right hands, so the ref had to stop the fight. I was fuming for 10 seconds but it’s fair enough I suppose.

The lad was a lot taller than me with a much longer reach which was the problem, 100% if he was any shorter I feel I could have beat him, but I didn’t. It’s disappointing but I know I’m only going to get better.

There is a video, I just need to get it onto the computer. I’ll have it up as soon as I can would love to get feedback on what went wrong from all of you as well as my coaches.

Overall, disappointing, but I know it can only get better.

Here it is. I’m in the red corner.

Having watched it back a few times and listening to my coaches I think one of the main problems I had was that I was aiming for his face which meant I had to reach up so I was just giving him my chin. My coach kept telling me to aim for his chest and I knew that’s what I should have been doing, I just didn’t, which is my own fault for not listening but the composure in the ring will come with experience (I hope).

Plan going forward is to lose a bit more weight, maybe get down to 68kg, so I’ll be able to fight kids my own height and level the playing field.

Shit yeah good on you mate!

Now you have tasted all side of the sport, will you continue with your boxing?

Thanks mate, was tough to swallow. Definitely plan to continue boxing, losing that bout made me excited for how hard I’m going to train to win my next one.

15/5/17

Been absent for a while, had an easy few days after my bout because I’m a lazy bastard but then I got a virus from hell so training volume has fallen drastically. Nutrition has gone to shit as well.

Got exams in college for the next few weeks so I’m going to keep my training fairly low-key, just maintain for a few weeks while I concentrate on exams and sorting my nutrition out again. After that I’m going to plan out my training for the summer so I can come back and start the new season (after summer) as fit and strong and as ready as possible.

17/5/17

Laps round gym+3x2 Shadowboxing and some bodyweight exercises to warm up

4x2 Partner Pads: focusing on the 1-2, not being lazy bringing right hand back, side one, movement afterwards etc.
4x2 Bags: coach was working to keep me side on and stop squaring up

4x2 Kettlebell Circuit: KB Swings x5
KB Push Press x5 each shoulder
KB Jumping Jacks x5
Did that as many times as possible in 2 mins with a 12kg kettlebell

1x8 Ropes with 3 different sets of 10 push up variations
Finished with fast lap round block

Coach said seen as the seasons coming to an end they’re not too bothered about us being fighting fit they want to focus on technique and skills. Feeling like this is going to be a really constructive summer.

Have you got goals for the off season?

Yeah, nothing too specific, there’s lots of little things that I need to practice and make second nature. Things like keeping my left hand up, fully extending the right hand, head movement after throwing or not being square on.

To be honest I think my coaches are just going to identify things to work on as we go. I trust them to give me goals as when it comes to skills training they’re the experts.

After watching my bout is there anything you would recommend focusing on? It’s always good to get an outside opinion (i.e not just the same coaches).

18/05/17

Strength Session - 11:45am

Speed Squats/Box Jumps
4x3: 42.5kg
4x5

Speed Dumbbell Incline Press/Plyo Press Ups
3x5: 17.5kg dumbbells
3x5

Band Pull Aparts w/ External Rotation
4x10

Ok so I am not qualified at all when it comes to boxing but just some things I noticed…

You had a low guard most of the fight. I realise this can be used to invite an attack to counter, but a lot of the time due to his height he could come over the top of your already low guard and land hits.

Your jabbing while ducking away. Not usually a bad idea as it creates room for you, but as you jab you tend to drop ur guard. His long hooks were prime for those situations.

Footwork is very important. I can’t put my finger on it but I believe this let you down as well.

A lot of your hooks didn’t connect. You seem to have a long wind up on them and drop your shoulder so it becomes a ‘tell’.

Not sure if you are aloud to, but maybe get inside taller opponents and try to clinch to break up his combos. Land body shots when inside. With head gear bouts, body shots can be more effective at hurting the foe.

Positives -

Very aggressive. This is good if you can keep up the intensity. Keep working on cardio to supplement this.

Constantly moving. I like that your feet are always moving. Your opponent stood around a bit too much for my liking, but you were always on the move. This makes it harder for you to land shots though. This will come with practice.

You put together some decent combos. Accuracy and smoothness will come with training.

Again I don’t know much about boxing so take what I said with a grain of salt. I also only watched it once as my internet is pretty low.

Maybe @FightinIrish26 or @Sentoguy would be more experienced to give their opinions?

Yeah, this really pissed me off afterwards because my guard is usually my strongest point. I can see what you mean with the jab, I find I often just throw it complacently for the sake of it, will definitely work on this.

In terms of the hooks I am 100% guilty as charged. After he hit me with a few hard shots I just wanted to hurt him back so I ended up throwing those ugly hooks. Will work on that shoulder dip, wasn’t aware of that, good you pointed it out.

Not sure about the clinching, don’t think the refs like it in amateur boxing but I can definitely see it’s worth. I’ll ask my coach about the rules. Footwork is also something that my coach wants to work on over the summer so hopefully it’ll start to come together.

Happy you said that. When I first started I was never anywhere near aggressive enough so it’s encouraging to know this has improved. Thanks for taking the time mate got a few good bits from you there that my coaches didn’t mention.

22/5/17

Saturday

Boxing - 10:00am

Ropes 1x5+dynamic stretches and some plyos

3x2 Shadowboxing
Bodyweight circuit, only did one round as I went for pads
2x2 Pads
6x2 Bags

Session absolutely wrecked me, felt like I was going to throw up and pass out, think it was just the last of this virus.

Monday

Strength Training - 4:05pm

Deadlifts
4x3: 90kg

Landmine Press/Standing Single Arm External Rotation
4x5: 27.5kg, 27.5kg, 28.75kg, 28.75kg
4x10 each shoulder

Dumbbell Rows/Neutral Grip Pull Ups/Band Pull Aparts w/ External Rotation
3x5: 30kg dumbbells
3x5: bodyweight
3x10

Laps round gym+1x2 shadowboxing

4x2 Ropes: 2x10 second sprints and last 15 was sprint
Did bodyweight exercises between rounds and rested for 10 seconds*
4x2 Bags: 2x10 seconds all in and same for last 15
Same as above*
2x2 Partner Pads: working hip rotation

5 minute jog to cool down.

First let me say again that you should hold your head high for just having the guts to actually get in the ring.

As far as things to work on:

1. Learn to work the body/don’t “head hunt.” This is especially true against a taller opponent. Understand that your longest reach will be straight out in front of your shoulder, as soon as you start to try to punch something above your shoulder your reach will decrease (the same is true for punching things below your shoulder btw, more on that later). If you are already at a reach disadvantage, then you are only exacerbating the situation by trying to punch “up” to your opponent’s head (not to mention fighting against gravity, which can tire you out faster as well).

Instead you want to hit them in the body, not only is it a less mobile, larger target, but if you start to repeatedly punish the body there is a good chance your opponent will start either dropping their hands to defend their body, or even better “buckling” while also dropping their hands which will bring their head down to your level and allow you to not only maximize your reach, but also power.

1. Don’t try to match your opponent where they have an advantage/don’t fight your attributes, learn to utilize them. You were standing far too upright and trying to fight “tall” despite being at a significant height disadvantage. Instead you should have been taking advantage of the fact that you are a smaller target and trying to make yourself even smaller while also being elusive. Watch Tyson (in his prime) or Frazier and notice how they were always Semi-crouched and utilized lots of head movement and moving laterally and forward when facing taller opponents. Make them punch down to your level as this will either shorten their reach, decrease their power, and potentially burn out their legs.

Don’t match reach with a taller fighter, don’t match speed with a faster fighter, don’t match power with a more powerful fighter, don’t match finesse with a more skilled fighter. Take them out of their comfort zone and take away their advantage.

1. Don’t try to “sharp shoot” while backing up unless you are very fast and/or extremely skilled at it. Most of the fight you were backing up. You were often trying to circle out, which is a good thing, but you were usually backing up nonetheless. Very few fighters can fight effectively while backing up, and unless you’ve got dynamite in your hands, doing so is going to pretty much eliminate any power in your punches, making it possible for your opponent to walk you down even easier. This also makes it even more difficult for you to get “inside” where you can nullify your opponent’s reach advantage and more easily work their body.

Notice that the few times you were pressing him that he was less aggressive and not coming forwards as much. You want to constantly be cutting off the ring, using broken rhythm/fakes and feints to keep him guessing or “wasting his ammunition” to allow you to get inside and land some combinations (again, generally you want to go to the body first and then work up to the head once you hurt him or at least get his attention downstairs). You can even “jam”/“shield” into range and then work some close range fighting if need be. But, because of the reach disadvantage you generally are going to have a hard time walking straight in.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Great job on the fight man.

I agree that you should drop in weight - that kid was a full head taller than you, and that makes the already difficult task of winning a boxing match that much harder.

I’ve watched the fight a couple times, and I’m going to tell you what I saw. Take it all with a grain of salt, because I’m not a trainer, and realize that any “advice” I give doesn’t take away from the plaudits you deserve for stepping between the ring ropes.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was your range, or lack thereof. This guy was a foot taller than you and had pterodactyl arms, meaning his reach was far longer. That’s a tremendous advantage, especially if he’s experienced and knows how to use it, so you must plan accordingly.

Doing what you did - which is to say, stand at his range and try to trade with him - is the worst thing you could do as a novice boxer. You saw (and felt) the results: Nearly all of your punches fell short, while he hit you at will. A good example of this came 42 seconds into your video - look at the distance between you guys! And sure enough, you got caught coming in right afterwards. And at about 52 seconds in you see him measure you with his left hand just after your 1-1-2 fell short. Your fist was four inches from his face, but he had his glove on your headgear.

I’m not sure I agree with the “punching at his chest” advice, which you typically do when you’re being out-countered by a guy with sharp slips. Not sure how that would help in this situation.

But as a shorter boxer myself, I run into this often. The remedy is simple - don’t try to trade with the guy while he’s punching. Keep a high guard, cover up, and wait for him to stop throwing. The second he stops - and I mean literally that second - drive forward behind your jab and right hand and put him on the defensive. We call this “waiting for his reset,” and it will get you inside his range without taking the shots you took.

You did good inside when you got there. You caught the guy with a nice hook about 46 seconds in, and later on in the fight you worked a nice bob-and-weave/hook counter. That’s the distance you need to be at consistently. And because your distance is a function of your footwork, that’s what you need to work on.

Also, keep your gloves up more. You can lower them if you’re trying to draw the guy into throwing a punch you want to counter, or if you’re very good at slipping. But I don’t think you’re there yet, so keep a Micky Ward-style leather wall in front of your face when you’re trying to get in on taller fighters.

I’ll end on higher notes: Your aggression was marvelous, and you’re clearly not afraid. You worked your basic combos well, and your punches snapped until the end, when you ran out of gas a bit. Also, you had good movement and weren’t awkward or off-balance.

You’re a gritty guy, and that’s good, because that can’t be taught. You just need to refine your skills, and that will happen with time and effort. So I say it’s a great, great first bout for you. Again, good job man.