T Nation

Reboot: Training Log

7/2/17

Tempo Intervals - 6:30am

15 seconds sprint 45 seconds jog x10

Strength Training - 11:45am

Hang Cleans
5x5: 30kg, 30kg, 40kg, 40kg, 40kg (finally figured out how to avoid bruising my collar bone, was catching the bar way too high needed to get down in a half squat position when catching the bar)

Deadlifts
3x5: 45kg, 55kg, 65kg

Neutral Grip Pull Ups/Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift
4x6: bodyweight
4x5: 25kg dumbbells

Single Arm Dumbbell Rows
4x5: 20kg

Starting the deload week now for 5/3/1 and its shit just wanted to go heavier the whole time, gotta stick to the programme though…

You’re welcome.

I’ll try to explain what I mean a little less technically; doing more “pulling” isn’t necessarily what I mean as some of the exercises I am describing could be seen as “pushing” they are just in a different plane from any of the pushes you are currently doing.

First I’ll try to briefly describe the joint actions I am talking about:

1A) Shoulder Flexion- Imagine you are standing (sideways) along side a wall with your right shoulder against the wall. With your arm straight your slide it up along the wall until it is in a straight line with your body (overhead).

1B) Shoulder Flexion- Now imagine that you bring the arm back down the wall, but instead of stopping when it’s by your side your continue behind your body until your arm is parallel to the ground (creating a 90 degree angle to your torso) behind you. Technically, anything from along side your body back is considered “hyperextension” from a kinesiology standpoint, but whatever.

2A) Internal rotation- Imagine your are now standing with your back to the wall, you raise your arms out to the sides (a motion called shoulder Abduction) until they are parallel to the ground. Next, bend your elbows until they are at 90 degrees. Finally rotate at your shoulder joint trying to bring your palms to the wall while attempting to keep your upper arm (shoulder to elbow) parallel to the floor and against the wall.

2B) External Rotation- Now imagine that, starting in the internally rotated position, you bring your hands off the wall and attempt to rotate at your shoulders until the backs of your wrists are against the wall (with the upper arm still against the wall as well as your back).

3A) Shoulder Horizontal Adduction- Imagine that you are again standing with your back to the wall and arms out to sides with the arms straight. Next, imagine that you bring your arms across your body (like you were sliding them across a table that is shoulder height) allow them to cross. Ultimately, actively this motion will generally be limited by things like muscularity, but passively (you pull the arm across with your other arm or lay on your arm) you should be able to get the arm to touch the opposite side shoulder (with the elbow locked straight).

3B) Shoulder Horizontal Abduction- Next imagine that you start out in your fully Horizontally Adducted position, but now move away from the wall. You now bring your arms back out to your sides (again imagining that they are sliding along a table that is at shoulder height) but, instead of stopping where the wall would have been you continue to bring the arms behind you as far as you can. Technically the line between Horizontal Abduction and Extension become somewhat blurry once the arms get behind the body, but, with some assistance (holding onto a bar or walking the hands along the floor while seated) you should be able to bring the pinkies together to touch behind your back with the arms at 90 degrees to the body.

Each of these movement groupings are “antagonistic” meaning that the muscles that perform one, are opposed to/stretched by the muscles that perform the other.

Boxing is very heavy in Shoulder Flexion (but only a partial ROM), Horizontal Adduction, and Internal Rotation and although you do technically have to return your arms back to a guard position (meaning you are doing the opposite motions), you are rarely if ever doing so under load/resistance. Your resistance training program is also heavily focused on the same motions as Boxing and lacking in the antagonistic motions (and the few that you are performing don’t take you anywhere close to full ROM in those motions).

I’ll try to post some examples of what I mean exercise wise when I get a chance.

Ag Walk- Advanced exercise that builds shoulder Extension strength and Anterior shoulder girdle (Pecs, Anterior Deltoid, and Biceps Brachii) and elbow flexor (Biceps Brachii, and Brachialis) flexibility.

Wall Extensions/Slides- Builds External Rotation and Shoulder Full ROM strength (especially lower Traps) into Shoulder Flexion while stretching the chest (Pec Major and Pec Minor) and Lats (to an extent).

Weighted Shoulder Dislocates (this is an even more advanced “Supinated Grip” version than the traditional type)- Build shoulder strength through their full range of Circumduction/Motion.

Damn man got to respect you for taking up your time to share your knowledge, thanks again.

1B) I can’t quite get the 90 degree angle but its close

2A+2B) I do these movements with 1.25kg plates before benching and overhead press to warm my shoulders up, I find the internal rotation trickier than the external rotation

3B) Pinkies are a mile away on this one, arms are at about 4 and 8 on a clock face if pinkies touching is 6

I do the shoulder dislocates with a resistance band to warm the shoulders up as well however this allows for a bit of cheating as you can pull you arms further apart, will go back to doing them with a broomstick. Will have to progress to weighted dislocates.

Will definitely implement those other exercises, would you say these can just be done throughout the day or would you recommend doing them during a workout?

I have to admit I will usually ignore something for as long as possible until it becomes a real problem or it goes away so it may be nice to hit the nail on the head before it becomes real problem. (just read over your initial post again and it makes a lot more sense to me now thank you, I have more questions but I will save them for now don’t want bombard you)

I would consider all of those exercises as “Mobility” (building strength through ROM) exercises. Mobility/flexibility work has a lot to do with joint health/preparation and connective tissue (tendons, ligaments, fascia, etc…) health. These tissues lack the direct blood supply that muscles enjoy and so must get it via proximity. In other words, you want the tissues to be as warm as possible and to have lots of blood in the area when doing serious mobility work.

The most efficient way to do these is to incorporate them into your workouts (you can superset them with a strength exercise, do them in a circuit/complex, or even just do them after your shoulders/chest are already very warm/pumped from your current pressing work [my least favorite option]). That’s not to say that doing some lower intensity mobility work during your warm-up or during your week (outside of your workouts) is necessarily a bad idea; but the fact that these tissues have no direct blood supply also means that they heal at a slower pace than muscle tissue, so it’s absolutely possible to overtrain them. In fact, MOST overuse injuries are connective tissue related (tendinitis, bursitis, epicondylitis, etc…). I have personally actually seen much better flexibility and mobility gains and my joints feel much better having drastically cut the frequency of my Mobility and flexibility work (though that has also come with a pretty significant volume in those less frequent sessions as well) by only doing such exercises within my strength training workouts and one dedicated flexibility workout for my upper body. It just requires intelligent, consistent, dedicated time/effort and patience (the hardest part).

8/2/17

Strength Training Session - 4pm

Warm up shoulders with weighted(1.25kg) internal+external rotation and band dislocates, no broomsticks in the gym

Bench Press
3x5: 30kg, 35kg, 45kg

Supinated Grip Pull Ups/Dips
5x6: bodyweight
5x5: bodyweight

Incline Dumbbell Press/Dumbbell Rows
5x5: 20kg dumbbells
5x5: 20kg dumbbells

Reverse Flies/Dumbbell Shrugs (knew i forgot something)
4x10: 2.5kg dumbbells

Standing Internal Shoulder Rotation/TRX Rows
3x10: each arm using resistance band
3x10

Boxing Session - 5:30pm

Laps of gym with some plyos and a game of tag with big gloves you do 10 reps whatever coach says if your tagged

1x30 Partner Drills: working blocking the jab again adding some follow up shots
1x5 Ropes: 5 and 10 second sprints
1x8 Bags: various drills keeping high intensity i.e 10 off 10 on etc.

Head coach who looked over my programme gave me some more feedback to day, made a few adjustments, quite happy with it. He coaches all the pros in our gym so it was really good to get his input.

9/2/17

Strength Training Session - 11:25am

Squats
5x5: 20kg, 30kg, 35kg, 40kg, 45kg (no rest between sets)

Front Squats/Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift
4x5: 35kg, 40kg, 40kg, 45kg

Kettlebell Swings/Box Squat Jumps
4x10: 20kg
4x10: bodyweight

Leg Press
5x5: 80kg (10 second rest between sets)

I agree with Sento on the importance of shoulder mobility work - and this is from one who rolls his eyes at the manic emphasis many place on mobility work when they’re not competitive athletes. But if you’re a boxer throwing thousands of punches per workout, its importance can’t be overstated.

I often am too lazy to do as much shoulder mobility work as I should, and I pay for it. Don’t be an idiot like me - address this now, and do the work as long as you’re boxing.

Also, thanks for the information and advice Sento. I too will be following it.

I absolutely do. Keep in mind I’m a southpaw so the mechanics are a bit different, but if you’re getting hit it’s probably because you’re telegraphing your jab, which may also be slow, lazy, or both.

If you telegraph it, for instance, by dropping the lead hand slightly before you throw, I know the punch is coming. This makes it incredibly easy to tap it down, parry it, or pull and counter. I’ll make sure you don’t get that second or third jab off.

If it’s slow - you’re not shooting it out and quickly pulling it back - or it’s lazy, and you let it fall straight down after contact instead of pulling it right back to your chin, this opens up the same counter opportunities. Slow jabs are easy to time, and lazy jabs open you to the straight right hand.

If you’re trying to come forward behind a telegraphed, slow, lazy jab, that’s even worse: Now you’re not only leaving holes in your defense, you’re closing the distance so I can take advantage of those openings with minimal effort.

I had similar problems, which I remedied by focusing intensely on my jab for … oh, a year or so. I threw jabs everywhere, all the time. In the morning after I woke up, at night before bed. Going up the stairs, down the stairs, on breaks from work, in the bathroom, you name it and I was throwing that right hand out there. Eventually, you start working out the myriad of issues your jab has, and you grow comfortable with the balance, weight transfer, and technique of the shot. It’s worked well for me - I always get compliments on both the speed and power of my jab - and I also get countered much more rarely. After a few fast, hard jabs, your opponent will start fearing it, and cover up instead of looking to counter. The second he does, you come in with followup jabs and then combinations. In martial terms that’s called, “Seizing the initiative.”

Videos like these help. Watch them, understand them, own them. From there, it’s just overwhelming repetition.

Good advice from Irish on the jab.

Getting the mechanics down should be your primary focus, especially when first starting out.

There are a few other things you can do which will decrease the amount you get countered when jabbing your way in:

1. Throw more fakes- if your opponent knows that every time you start to move that you are throwing a real punch, it’s fairly easy to time you coming in. This is particularly important/beneficial if your opponent has a reach or speed advantage on you or if you are not gifted in the speed department.

2. Vary the placement of your jabs- sometimes throw your jab at your opponent’s solar Plexus, sometimes their chest, sometimes their eyes, sometimes their guard/hands. By changing the placement of your jabs you essentially provide a myriad of “stimuli” which they have to deceifer and try to choose the correct response to rather than simply having one stimulus and one response (thus slowing their reaction time).:

3. Study your opponent’s responses and adjust accordingly- if your opponent just has a really fast nasty Right Cross counter to your jab that you just can’t stop them from throwing, don’t “allow” them to throw it, “make” them throw it and then make them pay. Fake your jab and “draw” their counter, then be waiting to time and counter their Right hand (with whatever counter you feel most comfortable with). Once you do this a couple times they will start to hesitate to throw that counter, making it less likely that your jab will get countered.

4. Use “sight alignment”- this concept comes from Rich Ryan and although I have seen some other really high strikers utilize this concept, Rich is the only one who I’ve ever heard really articulate the concept and he actually got it from a fencing maestre. The concept states that an object traveling straight into the line of sight will distort distance perception and make defending it much, much more difficult. Even slightly out of the line of sight (say at the chin of even point of the nose) will provide some foreshortening and allow your opponent to see the change in distance more easily. This also triggers the involuntary reaction of “blinking” and can obstruct their vision thus allowing you to sneak in a right hand behind it. This works exceptionally well with the vertical fist jab due to its already less telegraphic mechanics and smaller width (making it better at slipping through the guard), but is still very effective with the horizontal fist jab.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Will watch those videos and properly read over your posts tomorrow morning, thanks for the info again fellas

10/2/17

Boxing Session - 5:20pm

1x5 Ropes: some 10 second sprints
2x2 Shadowboxing: trying to always come back with something after moving
6x2 Bags: just a graft session, improving fitness, staying relaxed
2x2 Shadowboxing: same as above high intensity, staying relaxed
2x2 Ropes: sprinted last minute to finish the session

Mate of mine does capoeira and he invited me to a class so went down after boxing and had a go. It was odd felt strange not trying to hit anyone, works your core really well though.

13/2/17

Strength Training Session - 4:00pm

Weighted internal+external rotations and band dislocates

Bench Press
2x5: 52.5kg, 60kg
1x8: 67.5kg

Barbell Rows/Band Pull Aparts w/external rotation
4x5: 60kg
4x10

4x5: 2.5kg, 5kg, 5kg, 5kg
4x5: 7.5kg

Dumbbell Shrugs/Standing Single Arm External Shoulder Rotation
4x5: 30kg dumbbells
4x10: each shoulder x10 with resistance band

Ropes+2x2 shadowboxing with dynamic stretches to warm up

4x2 Partner Pads: working defense moving away i.e not coming back in straight line, using angles
3x2 Pads: with a good coach last round I stayed in the same spot and coach moved round randomly throwing the pads up for a 1-2-left hook managed to maintain speed and power
1x2 Bag: free round
1x2 Footwork Drills: 20 seconds on each station
3x2 Bags: various drills
Bodyweight circuit to finish

14/2/17

3 Mile Run - 6:30am

Coach changed my 2 miles to 3 and reduced frequency of strength training to 2-3 sessions a week. Less is more and all that bullshit… I know its true but I just want to lift arrr

15/2/17

Circuit - 11:45am

Kettlebell Swing x12 @20kg
Renegade Rows x6(each arm) @12.5kg dumbbells
Goblet Squat x12 @20kg
Dumbbell Push Press x12 @12.5kg dumbbells

No rest between exercises 1-2 minute rest between circuits

5 mins 75% light resistance on bike
Band Pull Aparts w/ External Rotation
3x10
Standing Single Arm External Shoulder Rotation
2x10 each shoulder
Standing Single Arm Internal Shoulder Rotation
2x10 each shoulder

2 laps round outside of gym, 1x5 on the ropes with 10 second sprints+dynamic stretches to get warm
3x2: first rnd just footwork, second rnd elusive counter puncher(mayweather, prince naseem), last rnd aggressive high guard (tyson, ggg)
3x2 Sparring: still fairly new to sparring so coach puts conditions on the rnds i.e only double jab backhand+1-2-left hook with last round being free but only 4 shots in a combination @75%

Feeling better every time I spar just need to move my feet in with my punches and commit as I’m still too worried about being hit.

Was in for 2 rounds with a lad whos a few kg heavier and hits hard, he got me with some nice clean, hard shots but hes not a dickhead like some of the fellas in the gym so I enjoyed it.

Coach and other lads said I was looking better and the coach knows and I know whats going wrong so just have to keep working on it.

16/2/17

Strength Training Session - 2:00pm

Back Squat
3x5: 52.5kg, 62.5kg, 70kg

Front Squat/Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift
3x5: 55kg, 50kg, 50kg (form was poor on first set so dropped the weight)
3x5: 30kg dumbbells

Goblet Squat/Box Jump
3x5: 25kg dumbbell
3x5: (read a few articles on t nation recommending lower reps for box jumps to avoid form breakdown)

18/2/17

Boxing Session (Friday) - 5:00pm

1x5 on the ropes+some dynamic stretches and plyos to warm up
6x2 Bag: open rounds
2x2 Pads: felt good getting some more power in the right hand
2x2 Ropes with 10 second sprints
Bodyweight circuit was a killer at the end

Boxing Session (Saturday) - 10:00am

Warm up on ropes with plyos+dynamic stretches
4x2 Shadowboxing
5x2 Bags: various drills, mostly 15 on 15 off format
4x2 Partner Pads: working angles, attacking and moving away, footwork is what I struggle with the most
Brutal circuit then
2x2 Ropes with 10 seconds normal skipping 10 seconds sprint

Hill Sprints - 7:45pm

Little jog and some stretches to warm up

150m x5 @95%

Went with a mate of my brothers so we were pushing each other went balls out on the last one buts hes got legs about the same size as me so he left me in the dust, good fun though

Footwork is one of the hardest parts of boxing/striking for people to get, especially while coordinating it with proper striking technique. However, if you put in the time and effort it will pay huge dividends.

Footwork gets you into range and out of range; it can create angles to open up targets on your opponent or shut down/limit their offensive options; and it adds mass to your strikes thus making them more powerful and efficient.

20/2/17

Strength Training Session - 8:30am

Deadlift
3x5: 80kg, 90kg, 102.5kg

Overhead Press/Band Pull Aparts w/ External Rotation
3x5: 35kg, 40kg, 45kg (felt strong on these)
3x10

Barbell Row/Standing Single Arm External Shoulder Rotation
4x5: 60kg, 60kg, 62.5kg, 62.5kg
4x10 each arm

4x5: 5kg
4x5: 7.5kg

Few dynamic+static stretches to warm up

2x2 Shadowboxing: trying to keep feet quick moving in and out
1x30 Partner Pads: drills around double jab backhand, so moving out and away after, moving out then back in after etc…
2x2 Ropes with 5 and 10 second sprints
1x2 Pads: 30 seconds each on four different combos throwing every one feet planted, loading up, full power, smacking the pads loud
2x2 Bags: just hard and fast rounds
Little circuit to cool off nothing too strenuous

Focusing on moving the feet in and out quickly today, getting into range and pushing them back as well as extending the jab all the way out