Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

GOD IS A BEAST WORKOUT 5

AM WORKOUT

Axle Strict Press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x161
5x186
5x206
5x171
5x196
3+2x216 (push press on the +2)

Grenade Ball Pulldowns 90
4x15

Reverse hyper 270
3x20

(2)DB incline press 50
50 reps

Band pull aparts
1x50

Notes: Press TM is fickle. Sweet spot for BBS work, but heavy for the strength work. Part of it too is my good belt is broken, so bracing was tough. Gonna stick it out and see how I deal with it. I think having the same TM for 6 weeks will help. Right shoulder a little twitchy on the incline press, so decided to forgo more rows to let it heal.

Woke up at 196.2. Work stress has been a little high; been making less than ideal nutritional choices.

GOD IS A BEAST WORKOUT 6

AM WORKOUT

Buffalo bar Squat
5xBar
5x100
5x140
3x190
1x230
10x5x275

GHR sit-ups w/10lb plate behind head
4x8

Dips
5x20

Pull aparts
6x20

Viking squats 135
1x20

Notes: Right shoulder is still a little tweaked from yesterday. New belt lever had arrived, so zero issues with that. This wasnā€™t too tough. I think my rep strength far exceeds my max strength, and finding the right TM has been a little challenging. Viking squats were a lot better than last week, but right forearm still cramps.

Woke up at 195.0.

GOD IS A BEAST WORKOUT 7

AM WORKOUT

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x186
5x226
5x241
5x276
5x311
5x261
4x291 (hit the j-hook and racked it)
4+1x326

GHRs
5x8

DB hammer curls 40
5x8

Circus dumbbell clean and press away 85
2x5
1x2

DB press 50
1x10

Axle rows 136
2x50

Notes: Donā€™t know if TM is too high or itā€™s a product of the right shoulder being a little pissed off, but had to rest pause to hit 5 on the topset of the day. I re-tweaked it on the circus dumbbell getting things into position. Most likely the labrum acting up again.

For the axle rows, did the first 50 reps without straps, second 50 with. Grip is doing pretty well.

Woke up at 195.8. Think weight is stabilizing. Going to eliminate my post dinner snack of cheese to get some weight to drop.

Did I miss something? haha, looked around your training log and no where does it say what exactly is this ā€œGOD IS A BEASTā€ program youā€™re on currently.

EDIT: Just googled and apparently itā€™s a 5/3/1 program in the new book, I think. Care to elaborate a little on it? Donā€™t have the new book.

Hey man,

Without going into too much detail, itā€™s like a combination of Spinal Tap and Bigger But Stronger. I liked the way it was set up and was wanted to give it a run. Iā€™m making it a little more strongman friendly with some implements mixed in.

1 Like

Iā€™m considering entering the market for a strongman log. Would you happen to have any suggestions on size/company? Was looking at Rogue, but there is also a manufacturer not too far away that Iā€™m getting some quotes from so I wanted to see what your thoughts were on the subject.

Make sure long plate loading pins? I noticed from your blag yours has 2 sets of handles (narrow/wide), would you recommend this? 9"-12" preferred? etc.

Thanks!

Go 12" man. Thatā€™s the size youā€™ll use in competitions pretty much always.

1 Like

So Iā€™ve only owned 1 log, which was the Christianā€™s Fitness Factory dual handled log you see there. It is a 9" log. Itā€™s about the cheapest one on the market, but if you are serious about getting a log, Iā€™d skip it. It gets the job done, but you can do much better.

Iā€™ve handled a Beast Metals log in a competition, and it was very well constructed. Iā€™ve used a Rogue 10" log, and it was poorly designed but very well built. Iā€™ve heard nothing but good things about the 12".

You donā€™t want dual handles. In the instance you need to bail from a log, there is a chance your hand could get stuck and bad stuff could happen.

You ideally want a 12" log. Those tend to be what appear for menā€™s competitions, and getting good on a big log will make a small one easier, but not the other way around.

1 Like

12"!

GOD IS A BEAST WORKOUT 8

AM WORKOUT

Axle deadlifts (deadstop)
5x136
5x226
1x276
10x5x366 (straps)

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Dips
10x20

Band pull aparts
100 reps

Buffalo bar squats 230
1x20

Notes: Did the deadlifts and dips in an unbroken circuit. That was pretty exhausting. Missed that feeling. Axle was a nice touch on making this more taxing. With this, Iā€™ve finished the first training week of God is a Beast. Iā€™m still figuring it out a bit, but Iā€™m finding how to make it work.

Woke up at 196.2. this morning. Had my cheat meal yesterday at a Golden Corral, which, for my international readers, is an all you can eat buffet of dubious quality depending on location. Ours is pretty decent, and I stuck primarily with salad and meat.

2 Likes

I think @Alpha mentioned some small businesses that made logs at reasonable prices in his latest Q&A video. Iā€™d look through it for you but Iā€™m on my phone.

1 Like

Training Log: Entry 2424

Prowler, 200lbs loaded, high handles
10x50ā€™

Notes: 30 seconds rest between runs. Conditioning feeling very strong; probably the effect of easing off the throttle a little. Had more in me, but played it safe. Upperback and forearms on are fire from yesterday.

Woke up at 195.2.

GOD IS A BEAST WORKOUT 9

PM WORKOUT

Log viper and press way
5xLog
10x5x160

Chins (various grips)
50 reps
5x10

Reverse hyper 270
5x15

(3) DB incline press 50
50 reps

Notes: Warmed up with 50 chins, then hit a circuit of 1 set log, 1 set chins, 1 set log, 1 set reverse hyper, repeat until end. I dislike training in the evening since I feel like itā€™s too easy, so I made this as challenging as I could. Wicked back pump. I am well exceeding the assistance work layout of this program. That may bite me later.

Woke up at 196.4. Still making efforts to drop a little weight.

As in it is too easy due to having time? Or multiple meals prior?

Too easy due to being stronger in those situations. Combination of more meals, more rest, more warmed up body, etc.

Saw in another thread you mention your torn labrum so I stalked you back to here, sorry. Do you remember where the tear is (front/back/top/bottom)? The amount of dislocations you mentioned is pretty brutal, especially post surgery. I just dislocated mine long after surgery, hoping I can avoid another. Cool to see everything youā€™re able to do with it, especially some pretty incredible overhead pressing. Anything youā€™ve done/doing to stabilize it long term? Thanks.

Oh boy, I really donā€™t. I tore it back in 2002. Iā€™d have to dig through some super old medical records to find out.

I think the best thing I ever did for shoulder stability was rear delt work. I do a TON of it, and it seems to help. Sets of pull aparts between everything else every day, or just 100 a day in general goes a long way. The other thing to keep in mind is that stability is the opposite of mobility. Right now the internet is on a big mobility kick, but I try to do the opposite with my shoulder and just keep the damn thing in place.

Just gotta know your limits as well. Incline barbell pressing just never seems to work for me, but dumbbells are fine. Neutral grip work is pretty ideal too.

1 Like

Everything that @T3hPwnisher said, plus band dislocates, and face pulls. I do around 500-1000 pull aparts in a session and I know @brady888 is a huge advocate as well. Also, like pen said, make sure you work stability just as much as mobility. Theyā€™re two very different things and both need to be emphasized for a fully developed and healthy set of shoulders.

Appreciate it, thanks guys.

Which bands do you guys use for pull aparts @T3hPwnisher @oldbeancam @brady888 ? Iā€™m interested in getting bands for pull aparts and some mobility work for a soon to be home gym but I have almost no experience using them so donā€™t know what to get.