Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

I second this haha. I’ve been trying to pick up canoeing (sprint) and lifting has taken a back seat to the paddling/running/pull ups. I was looking into the 5/3/1 2 day template which I know would be a solid option but I’d appreciate your take on it.

(Apologies to @T3hPwnisher for jumping in first)

I think there are two issues here:

1. Most people don’t believe anything that simple actually works. My wife has taken up barbell training as an adjunct to her regular regimen of running and yoga. She loves it. What is her program? There is none; one or two days per week, she comes to the gym with me and does some squats, then she does some deadlifts, and that’s all. She has squatted 165 pounds and deadlifted 225 within a few months of starting with barbells. I expect that she’s going to squat 185 and pull 275 by the end of the year.

Her sister, meanwhile, has bought at least five different DVD workout programs over the last five years. The 21-day fix, INSANITY, a few other BeachBody products…she simply refuses to believe that it could be simple as just squatting and deadlifting once a week. It hasn’t gotten her anywhere; she’s not in terrible shape, but nor is she in especially good shape. Just spinning her wheels. If she had spent all that time (and money) on buying a barbell and a squat rack and lifted with a simple LP program for that period of time, she’d probably be significantly stronger and leaner than she is now.

1. In a related story, some people are just looking for an excuse not to train. As long as they can beg off with “I don’t have time to get to the gym 6 days a week” they are covered. If you reveal to them that training twice per week would still allow them to make progress, they will be uncomfortable with that.

You need to understand something: they don’t actually want to train. Telling them they can make progress in two days per week vs. more frequent training will make no difference.

3 Likes
  1. See I use to be in that boat that I use to think there some complex method that was needed to get into shape, strong, etc. I’ve been enlightened that its literally just putting in work in a sensible way. That’s awesome though man, I’m sure she’ll get to those weights soon! The insanity workouts are crazy lol. Definitely get your heart rate up though!

2. I think for some people this is true.But I think a lot of people are misinformed. I think people see these professional bodybuilders or olympic lifters and start thinking you got to spend 2+ hours everyday training to get that body they envision. You can only train like that for so long before real life hits you (for most people). But I think if people were informed that hey if you lift for 2x a week and don’t miss any days for 4 years you’re going to be much further ahead than the guy/gal who lifts 5x a week for 3 months and then takes 2 months off and etc.

But for sure man a lot of these guys don’t TRULY want to train. But I think if they found out that they can truly only lift twice a week and get results they might be receptive to it because no matter how busy one person is, everyone has 2-4 free hours a week to get in some work lol.

A whole lot of good conversation here, which is great, because sadly I couldn’t honestly talk to this subject @isdatnutty and @Benanything. I have never seriously engaged in a 2 day a week lifting structure, ever since I’ve picked up the weights. 3 days a week was always the lowest I’d go. If we’re talking about only lifting 2 days a week and then having extra days dedicated to calisthenics and then days dedicated to conditioning, resulting in a 4-6 day training week, that would be more viable, but I’m not too sure if that’s the direction people are wanting to go. It’s pretty much lifting without actually using weights.

And even then, it would just be theory, which is something I try to avoid writing about in order to not be a guru. I think Jim Wendler has done a much better job discussing the 2 days a week of lifting approach.

Sorry I can’t write much more to it, but I appreciate being pitched the idea.

AM WORKOUT

Viking Squats
5xBar
5x95
10x10x135

Notes: Letting my glute tweak heal and just hammering volume in the meantime. I’ll be 100% again someday, in the meantime, I’ll do what I can. This was still a pretty tough workout to get through.

KB swings 135
4x8

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Neck harness 45lbs
4 sets

Notes: All between sets of squats.

General notes: Woke up at 195.0. Still just hanging at that 95%. At the rate I’m going, I’m just going to throttle back on the non-competition stuff to facilitate healing, and then come back strong once the show is over.

3 Likes

AM WORKOUT

Axle Bench Press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x186
3x236
3x276
8x306
18x236

Notes: Was supposed to do 271 for the middle set, but I’ve been a little lazy with the plate loading. I had 1 more in me on the top set, but butt came off the bench and I didn’t want to risk re-tweaking the glute going for an extra rep.

Chins (various grips)
1x25
3x20
1x25

Band pull aparts
5x20

Notes: Performed between sets of bench.

Keg clean and press 182
4x1

Notes: As much as I want to focus on the circus dumbbell, I haven’t even touched a heavy keg and the show is 3 weeks away. Needed to relearn technique on this. First set was ugly, but after that I found my groove. Being able to hit this fatigued in the morning bodes well for day of the show. That said, after this contest, I think I need to get my blood pressure checked. I’ve been blacking out at the top of overheads, which isn’t uncommon in the sport, but is rare for me. I typically hang out at the slightly elevated range, so I’m curious if I dropped down a touch.

DB hammer curls 40
4x10

Crucifix hold 15lbs
1x60 seconds
1x35 seconds

Notes: Loading pins with 10lb plates, held around the middle. No idea where I stand on this event, but some training is better than none.

General notes: Woke up at 194.4. Still healing, but I’m starting to finally feel some confidence for this contest. Training was really touch and go, but seems to be coming together now.

1 Like

Damn, you beat me on my bench by 1 rep and 6lbs. You’re an animal, and your overhead is actually growing too. Will you be at nationals this year?!

Is this an event you’re training for? What’s the criteria?

@strongmanvinny2 Thanks man. You’re still killing me on the press, and you bench fatigued what i bench fresh, haha. If I can qualify for nationals, I’ll be there. Vegas is a lot more exciting the Iowa.

@dchris Yeah, it will be the final event in my competition. Here are the rules

CRUCIFIX
Athletes will hold one hammer in each hand straight out from their sides (cross) for max time
Start command will be given.
Time stops once hammers have lowered enough to touch height apparatus
Event will be worth double points
Top two in each division will compete head to head.
Equipment Allowed: Chalk Only! No equipment will be used.

It’s no longer worth double points apparently, but still, something to train for.

Crossfit Grace with an axle

3:19

Notes: Part of a challenge on another forum. I originally thought I could use this to practice my continental and leg drive, and then my dumb lizard brain took over. Still an awesome workout though.

Woke up at 194.4.

2 Likes

Sounds like an event I coul actually do.

Tonight’s shoulder night for me. I’m gonna give this a run.

Oh yeah, definitely not high on the difficulty factor. Winner is just the person with the most pain tolerance basically. I did something similar in my last contest with a front hammer hold.

Enjoy Grace! It feels like my lungs are broken, haha.

1 Like

AM WORKOUT

DB rows
10x10lbs
10x25
10x50
10x105
10x190 (straps, DB row handle)
8x260 (straps, DB row handle)
27x105 (straps)

Notes: Bit the bullet and executed my contingency plan here of having a back day rather than a deadlift day. An idea I stole from Kroc; deadlift every other week, alternating with a back day focused around dumbbell rows. As much as it burned my ego not to hit the deads, this was still a tough workout, and got my lats and upperback pretty torched.

Reverse hyper 360
4x10

Superset w/

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Notes: More back work, and staying away from the GHR sit ups, as those always seem to tweak the glute.

Buffalo bar squat
5xBar
5x100
5x140
3x190
1x230
1x280
1x320

ONLY RESTING TO CHANGE WEIGHT
10x140
10x230
11x320
10x230
10x140

Notes: Once again, staying away from the heavy stuff. This workout SUCKS something fierce. Great way to make light weight feel heavy. I was dying at the end of it.

General notes: Woke up at 195.0. Calling this workout a success, as it’s the first weekend in 2 months where I haven’t felt like my glute had a hole in it. Think I’ll continue this all the way until the contest and evaluate from there. Cheat meal yesterday was a big plate of nachos.

3 Likes

That’s a clever way of putting together weight plates to stimulate a stone. What do you use to hold them together?

1 Like

Thanks dude. I can’t take credit for it; learned it from Kalle Beck of startingstrongman.

I use an Ironmind loading pin to load them all on, and then a screw down collar from newyorkbarbells to hold them onto the pin. Ironmind makes collars like that too, and I have few from some other companies as well. You have to winch is REAL tight, because they’re going to try to fly off through out the set.

2 Likes

EMOM workout
Odd minute: stone trainer extension w/235lbs
Even minute: CDB clean and press w/105 (1 per arm)

6 rounds of each

Notes: This was an awesome workout. Singles were the right spot. Lapping the trainer was a challenge using a combination of metal and bumper plates. CDB technique is really coming along. I’m finally feeling confident coming into this show. For a while, I thought I mighta made a mistake signing up.

Woke up at 195.0.

1 Like

AM WORKOUT

Axle strict press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x176
3x196
4x221
3x221 (continental and push press)
8x176 (continental and strict press)

Notes: Got some video that I’ll upload later. This was a solid pressing session; much better than last cycle. Continentals were as smooth as they’ve been in a while, and everything just seemed to click.

GB pulldowns 90
3x20
2x15

Band pull aparts
5x20

Notes: Performed between sets of pressing.

Axle rows 206
11+21

Notes: First 11 unstrapped, next 21 with straps.

Dips

Notes: All performed in 1 big rest pause set

Axle curls
1x100

General notes: Woke up at 195.0. Zero pain in the left glute; the rest was what I needed to heal. I’m going to try to play it smart until the contest, and then really drill myself back up.

Axle Grace
2:57

Notes: After the last time, I wanted to see what I could do if I just went for speed. Shaved 20 second off.

Slept at the job site last night, so no idea what my weight was this morning. Got video from my last press workout though.

Hey man I had a question for you. When you reduce volume, but increase intensity how does your eating habits change? Do you eat less because volume has dropped, or do you eat more because now your upping the intensity?

The sentence before the one you highlighted explained the nutritional protocol. When volume rises, so must nutrition. In this situation, intensity necessarily decreases. When volume lowers, so does nutrition. In this situation, intensity naturally increases.

1 Like

Thanks for clarification, appreciate it!

1 Like

@isdatnutty No problem dude!

Buffalo bar squat
5xBar
5x100
5x140
3x190
1x230
1x280
1x320
11x370
9x370
20x230

Notes: Sticking with sub-max weights. Need to rebuild my ability here. A tough, but not ball busting workout.

KB swings 125
5x10

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Neck harness 45
3 sets

Notes: All performed between sets of squats.

General notes: Woke up at 193.0. Tends to happen the day after my nights at the office. It’s my last week of heavy work before the contest.