Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

Dude you have been absolutely killing it! Always inspiring to see what you are up to my friend!

2 Likes

Thanks Alpha! Always means a lot when you stop by and share kind words like that. And same back to you. I canā€™t even keep up with all the cool stuff youā€™ve been putting out.

EMOM stone trainer extensions: triples at 181
10 minutes

Notes: This felt SO much better than last time. Lower back/glute is on the mend. I am REALLY liking this as a movement. I actually like the fact that the bumpers come apart as the work goes on, because it means as I fatigue I REALLY have to dial in my technique or else it all falls apart.

Woke up at 195.4 this morning.

Axle strict press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x171
1x206
4x216
3x216 (push press)
9x176 (continental and strict press)

Notes: First time in a long while I felt good coming into this workout. I miscalculated my second warm-up set and hit 206 instead of 196, but right away I realized my mistake so just took it for 1 rep and called it good enough. 86ā€™d the continental on the heavy set, just because I felt like I wasnā€™t getting enough heavy overhead work due to the energy I was losing on the continental. That said, the continental on 176 was the smoothest Iā€™ve managed in a while. Remembering how to get more aggressive with it.

Going through my notes, this was a previous best for me, but that was a PM workout and this is AM. Strength keeps growing in some way.

GB pulldowns 90
3x17
2x15

Band pull aparts
5x20

Notes: Performed between sets of presses

Axle rows 226
20 reps

Notes: Strapped up for this one. Think Iā€™m gonna keep alternating weeks of straps and no straps.

Dips
150 reps

Axle curls
1x100

General notes: Woke up at 197.0. Higher, but on the low end for Mondays for me. Iā€™m about a month out from the show, and really need to kick the training into gear. Nagging injuries got the most of me last month.

AM WORKOUT

SSB Squats
5xBar+chains
5x115+chains
5x155+chains
3x205+chains
1x245+chains
1x295+chains
1x335+chains
1x385+chains
1x425+chains
0x475+chains
1x335+chains

Notes: I am healing, but still not 100%. 425 was tough, but not balls out. The strength was there for 475, but not the confidence. Played it safe. After that, I was pretty toast. I had an idea in the past about rotating a week of high reps (2x12) and then a week of max effort; something from Krocā€™s training log. Might start implementing.

KB swings 100lbs
4x12

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Notes: Performed between squats

Viking squats dropset
10x175
10x155
10x135

Notes: Just something to get blood pumping.

Reverse hyper 50lbs
3:00

General notes: Woke up at 195.0. Just been feeling dead on my feet these past few workouts. Feels like my blood pressure is too low.

AM WORKOUT

Axle Bench Press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x186
5x226
5x251
3x281
7x316 (lifetime PR)
12x251

Notes: Solid bench workout. 7 was the goal I walked in with, and I hit it. For the backdown set, forgot the elbow sleeves and still hit my second goal of 12. Just a solid day, which is nice compensation considering how the lower body has been a little shot.

Chins (various grips)
1x25
4x10

Band pull aparts
5x20

Notes: Performed between sets.

Circus Dumbbell 95
Right arm: 1, 3, 3
Left arm: 1, 1, 2

Notes: Getting better at figuring out the bell. I get why people put the elbow up so high now; it braces the bell against the body and makes it more stable. I need to use a less slippery shirt too. Iā€™m still 30lbs away from comp weight, but hitting this fatigued first thing in the morning gives me hope.

Log clean and press (clean once) 156
1x7

Notes: Just my finisher to get in some more implement practice.

General notes: Woke up at 195.2. Still need to get in some hammer hold work; maybe later tonight.

3 Likes

78 second 15lb ā€œhammer holdā€ with loading pins.

These actually feel real good. I would figure it would beat up my joints, but instead my muscles walk away feeling very "aliveā€™.

AM WORKOUT

(5) Axle Mat Pulls
5x136
5x226
1x276
1x366 (mixed grip)
1x456 (mixed grip)
9x551 (straps, rest pause, touch and go)

Notes: Getting better by the week. Basically, Iā€™ll spend the whole week healing, hit this workout, redamage myself, then spend the whole week healing to a slightly better state than before. The smart move would be to skip this workout, but Iā€™ve never let being smart slow me down before.

Axle deadlifts 316
1x1
1x2
1x3
1x4
1x5
1x6
1x7
1x8
1x1

Notes: Hit a set, every minute on the minute. Saw this idea online and itā€™s pretty intense. I think hitting it fresh Iā€™d have a little more in me, but this was still challenging. Made my left glute mad, but oh well.

General notes: Woke up at 194.6. Mrs. is coming home from a business trip today, so got half of my Saturday workout in so we can sleep in tomorrow.

1 Like

Buffalo Bar Squat
5xBar
5x100
5x140
3x190
1x230
1x280
1x320
1x370
1x410

STRIPSET
3x460
5x410
7x370
9x320
11x230

Notes: First time in a LONG while my glute/hip was feeling good. Went for broke with it. Didnā€™t really have a gameplan with this one, and just made it up as I went along, but it SUCKED. Exertion headaches and everything; back to the bad olā€™ days.

General notes: Woke up at 194.8 this morning. ā€œCheatā€ meal was yesterday: 3.5 slices of stuffed crust pizza. Really need to kick the training into gear; contest is around the corner.

3 Likes

Did you actually do this through the exertion headache?

Youā€™re a goddamn monster.

1 Like

Haha, no no, the headaches always hit me after the workout. I spend the rest of the day in a post workout hangover after one of these.

EMOM
Stoner trainer 3x190
Power stair to 21" 3x205
14 minutes

Notes: Switch off every other minute. Figured out it was an effective way to train for 2 events at once.

Woke up at 196.0. Starting to gain some confidence in my training.

1 Like

Nice to know that youā€™re not a genuine superhuman!

I got exertion headaches for the first time back in Nov. Did an AMRAP with squats when I suddenly felt blinding pain somewhere in my head/neck.

Had a horrible headache for the rest of the day. Scared the shit out of me.

The thought of someone actually continuing to lift with intensity through that is mind-boggling.

They suck for sure. Iā€™ve trained through a lot of crazy stuff (24 hours after being discharged from the hospital for severe dehydration from gastroenteritis, 2 days post ACL reconstruction, a week after the ACL rupture with a broken patella, etc), but that would be a new one for me.

This is yesterdayā€™s workout. Forgot to log it.

AM WORKOUT

Axle Strict Press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x151
5x176
7x196
7x196 (continental and push press)
10x151 (continental and strict press)

Notes: A little weaker than I wouldā€™ve liked, but itā€™s AM workouts compared to PM. On the plus side, the continental is getting much smoother and faster, and the push press leg drive was super sharp.

GB pulldowns 90
3x18
2x15

Band pull aparts
6x20

Notes: Performed between sets of press.

Axle rows 206
10+20

Notes: What Iā€™m documenting here is I did 10 reps without straps, then threw on the straps and banged out another 20. Part of my ā€œsingle setā€ approach Iā€™m trying to employ.

Dips

Axle curls
1x100

General notes: Woke up at 197.6. Big spike, but seems to be what happens on Mondays. Glute/hip is feeling a lot better. Itā€™s been a long healing process for something Iā€™m not really sure HOW I messed up.

1 Like

AM WORKOUT

Buffalo bar squats
5xBar
5x100
5x140
3x190
1x230
1x280
1x320
10x370
8x370

Notes: Talked about this last week, and it looks like it was the right call. Still feeling beat up, and my submax strength is dropping. Some time spent alternating between this and maximal strength should pay off. This was pretty brutal.

Reverse hyper 330
4x8

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Neck harness 45lbs
2x25

Notes: All performed between sets of squats

General notes: Woke up at 195.4. Less assistance work today to let the glute keep healing. Left knee is swelling up with increased humidity.

AM WORKOUT

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x186
5x226
5x256
12x286
18x226

Notes: Program actually called for 220 vs 225, but I was being lazy. I had 13 in me for that topset of 286, but hit the j-hook on rep 8 and threw off my pace. Everything felt heavy in warm-ups, but the work sets were solid.

Chins (various groups)
1x25
3x20
1x25

Band pull aparts
5x20

Notes: Performed between sets of bench.

Circus dumbbell
3 sets of 95lb
1 set of 85

Notes: I forget reps at this point. Itā€™s getting better, but still pretty crummy. Tried propping the bell upright on my shoulder, but itā€™s too damn big. Just getting into a decent position. Leg drive was much better; felt my heels leave the floor a few times.

Hammer curls 40lbs
4x10

General notes: Woke up at 194.8. Keep forgetting to do the hammer holds at the end of the workout. Probably include them and some keg pressing on a later date. I was just about blacking out with the CDB; wonder if my blood pressure is too low.

Medley

Press 182lb keg
Run keg 50ā€™, load onto prowler
Push prowler 50ā€™

Notes: Did 4 rounds of this. Keg press technique has fallen apart; need to refine it over this next month. My conditioning has fallen apart prepping for this contest; need to really drill it come off season time.

General notes: No weigh in this morning. Worked overnight, got 3 hours of sleep, so guess this was still a decent workout.

AM WORKOUT

(4) Axle mat pulls
5x136
5x226
1x276
1x366 (mixed grip)
1x456 (mixed grip)
1x551 (straps)
11x506 (straps, touch and go, rest pause)
26 second DOH hold 27

Notes: Glute is in a weird place. Iā€™m good for 1 big set, and then after that, Iā€™m done. Tried working up to my squat workout after this and had difficulty unracking 230. Think Iā€™m going to do the smart thing and just take a week off next week. Also going to do some more active rehab for the glute. Reverse hypers, fire hydrants, whatever I can do to get blood flowing to the area.

Woke up at 195.8. Cheat meal yesterday was super decadent cheeseburger and sweet potato fries.

EMOM workout

Minute 1: 3x stone trainer extensions 210
Minute 2: 3x power stair 225
Minute 3: 1x side circus dumbbell 100

7 rounds of each movement

Notes: Just trying to get on top of this show before it comes around. Technique is getting better, and despite my injury Iā€™m feeling strong. Stone trainer was unevenly loaded, so it was tough to work with.

Woke up at 195.0. Diet seems to be getting sorted out.

2 Likes

ā€œBUT, in your one moment of greatness, in your one point in the present, where the stars lined up and everything worked out and you finally achieved one of your absurd goals, you will HAVE that moment AT that moment.ā€

Really enjoy your blog man, that line above really hit home! Keep them coming!

Thanks dude, I appreciate it. If you ever have something more specific you want me to cover, let me know.

AM WORKOUT

Axle Strict Press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
3x161
3x186
5x211
3x211 (continental and push press)
11x161 (continental and strict press)

Notes: Solid day. 5 was the goal for 211. 6 mightā€™ve been there with a grind, but wasnā€™t worth the fight. Continental was a little rough on 211 and took some gas away from the push press.

GB pulldowns 90
3x19
2x15

Band pull aparts
5x20

Notes: Performed between sets of press

Axle rows 226
21 reps

Dips
150 reps

Axle curls
1x100

General notes: Woke up at 195.4. Glute is about where itā€™s been. Just not cresting past 95% or so.

Hey man I think it would be cool for you to do a post about ā€œminimalist trainingā€ or twice a week training. I ask this because I tell a lot of my lazy friends that they donā€™t need to lift or even hit the gym 6x a week.

Iā€™ve told them if they hit the weights twice a week hard and do some conditioning other days and eat generally well thereā€™s no way in hell they wonā€™t get into great shape.

Maybe even provide how you would approach only being able to lift twice a week. Maybe even a program template? I ask because coming from me they think Iā€™m just bullshitting them, but coming from a strong guy like you, theyā€™ll hopefully listen! Appreciate it man!

2 Likes