Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

If you don’t mind my asking, would you mind giving a little more detail on your left glute pain (as much or as little as you want to share)? Is it a pulled muscle? Old injury site that’s turned into a ball of scar tissue? Something else?

I ask because I’ve recently started having trouble with pain in the back of the left hip. My problematic SIJ has been behaving itself recently, but the pain seems to have migrated down a few inches. I haven’t yet worked out what might have caused that or how I can fix it, so I wondered if you had any insight.

@biker Thanks man. Appreciate the input. I’ve noticed weight gain tends to make things a little easier. It’ll definitely be something I look into once I retire. Thankfully, all it is right now is just pain, but if it turns to dysfunction I’ll have to re-route.

@isdatnutty Appreciate you still being a reader dude. Glad you enjoyed it.

AM WORKOUT

Axle strict press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x146
5x170
8x196
4x196 (continental push press)
11x146 (continental strict press)

Notes: Feeling much better compared to last week. Still not quite 100%, but close enough. Wasn’t really able to get properly braced for the topset of 196, but I was able to hit a final rep after coming to a deadstop on the chest, which is pretty unprecedented for me. Lost a lot of energy on the continental for 196, so not a whole lot of push presses. Much better technique for 146. Really need to focus on flipping the wrist.

GB pulldowns 90
5x15

Band pull aparts
5x20

Notes: Performed between presses. Taking the weight down on the pulldowns and focusing on the lat squeeze. Takes pressure off the elbows and gives me that bodybuilding thing, which is really what I SHOULD be focusing on with the lat work.

Axle rows 206
40 reps

Dips
100 reps

Notes: Taking assistance a little easy just to get back into it. Ran short on time, so will hit the curls tonight.

General notes: Woke up at 197.4. Think the week off is what I needed.

1 Like

I honestly have no idea what it is. I woke up on Saturday, went to do my squats and I’d get a sharp pain during movement. I’ve felt it before, but never felt some sort of moment where a serious injury occurred.

I’ve felt pain in that area before, but never really attributed it to anything. It could be a compensation issue from the left knee injury, but that’s just speculation.

In truth, I actually spend minimal time trying to understand/diagnose my injuries. I find it unhelpful, as I tend to obsess over the details and find it limits my recovery. It’s easier for me to focus on the symptoms and treat those.

1 Like

I definitely agree with that approach, I fractured part of my lower back playing rugby a couple of years ago and found that thinking about the symptoms and not the injury itself allowed me to progress properly through recovery - “oh shit, my spine’s fractured in two places” never helped anybody’s confidence or rehab haha!

Still following along, nice work as always :+1:

1 Like

Fair enough. I’m the complete opposite. The way I see it, my body is smarter than I am and any problems need to be attacked from all directions.

e.g I injured my right foot a few years ago and I’ve still got about 2% of the mobility to regain; I sustained a strained hip flexor on that leg about 18 months later; SIJ trouble started about that time; left shoulder occasionally hurts when I press. (Disclaimer: I get that there are powerlifters with injury lists ten times as long as this. I’m not fishing for sympathy, just trying to illustrate a point)

All of these things are interrelated, and what helps for me is spending ten minutes a day doing what most people would call meditating; slowing down my breathing and tuning into innate neurological patterns. Then when I get up and start moving, I can tell where I’m compensating and I can focus on overriding it, by breathing and activating whichever areas don’t seem to be functioning.

This is instead of focusing on just one area, which typically doesn’t work if there are problems elsewhere in the chain.

I’m not sure if that made sense to anyone but me, but that’s my two cents.

Thanks, as always, for your insight and your inspiration. Keep crushing it dude :slight_smile:

EDIT: Man this turned into a bit of a novel. Sorry

@halcj1 Glad to see I’m not the only crazy one here, haha. Out of sight, out of mind and all that.

@TheWolfMan Appreciate the share dude. Glad it works out for you.

AM WORKOUT

Viking squat
5xBar
5x95
5x135
3x185
1x225
1x275
1x315
2x335
10x225
15x135

Notes: Glute is still pretty buggy, but I can train through it. Harness was opening up this workout, so it just about slid off my shoulders for that heavy double. Need to tighten the bolt. Still a decent workout.

KB swings 100lbs
4x8

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Notes: Performed between sets of squats

General notes: Woke up at 196.6. Feeling better than last week, but still easing back into things.

I took some video of the viking squats, and I might upload them, but right now this is what’s exciting in my household

5 Likes

New toy?

Yup. Been oveedue for one, haha.

1 Like

Did you make that one yourself?

Nah. Welding isn’t one of my talents. Bought it from an online company.

Is it the monster circus dumbbell? What are your initial impressions?

Nah, not Monster Rings and Cages. Got it from a company called Holland Strength and Fitness. It’s a BEAST. 12.75" and 3" handle is super tough to handle. Should make me strong on the competition.

AM WORKOUT

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x186
5x216
5x251
12x281
20x216

Notes: Goal was 14 on 281, but just not feeling it. I am coming back slow off this deload; having difficulty recovering. Hoping next week I’ll be back in business.

Chins (various grips)
1x25
3x20
1x25

Band pull aparts
5x20

Notes: Performed between sets of benching.

Circus dumbbell 85lbs (unloaded)
1x4 right, 1x3 left
1x3 right, 1x2 left

Notes: Holy crap a 12.75" bell with a 3" handle is INSANE. Took a while to really figure it out. I think I have a better strict press with the bell than using any leg drive. Getting good on this will get me good for the contest.

Hammer holds w/loading pins, 15lbs
2 holds

Notes: Instead of DBs, I took a loading pin and put a 10lb plate on it. Held them around the midpoint. Better simulator of a hammer, and real ball buster.

Axle curls
1x50

General notes: Woke up at 196.0. Been running out of time in these training sessions. Think I need to start culling the back work as I get closer to the contest. Off season is good to bring that stuff in, but now I need to focus on events.

1 Like

AM WORKOUT

(7) Axle Mat Pull
5x136
5x226
1x276
1x366 (mixed grip)
1x456 (mixed grip)
1x551 (straps)
1x456 (straps)
50x276 (straps)

Notes: Glute pain has migrated down to the glute/ham tie in, but it made it that I was weak out of the starting position. Didn’t want to force it, so took some heavy singles and then went stupid high rep. It’s something at least. Need to take a more active role in injury recovery.

Woke up at 196.6. Had to cram in a week’s worth of training in 4 days since I’ll be out on the weekend for one of my wife’s races. Hopefully the time off and good eating will be good for me.

1 Like

I was reading one of today’s articles on the foam roller bench press, and I kept thinking of the bosu ball squat picture you love so much…

Hahaha, glad I could spring up in your memory with my very own meme like that.

SUNDAY

EMOM, 406 axle deadlift single

30 minutes, with an 11 rep set on the final minute

Notes: Did this as part of a challenge. By the 20th minute I was starting to feel a little bit of the fatigue, but nothing too awful. I had another rep or 2 for that final push, but for an internet contest it wasn’t worth the risk.

After the workout I was feeling the effects a little. The axle is pretty jarring, and my bones felt like they were buzzing for a bit.

MONDAY

AM WORKOUT

Axle strict press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
3x161
3x181
6x206
6x206 (continental and push press)
9x161 (continental and strict press)

Notes: Feeling back to 100% again, which is funny, because my shoulder was killing me in the warm-ups. 6x206 is an AM PR, and the push press was solid. Really getting my leg drive back. Continental is still garbage, but it’s there at least.

GB pulldowns 90
5x16

Band pull aparts
5x20

Notes: Performed between sets of pull aparts

Axle rows 206
45 reps

Dips
150 reps

Notes: Keeping the number at 150 for now and trying to get as much done in 1 long rest pause set as possible

Axle curls
1x100

General notes: Woke up at 197.2. My workouts are taking a bit too long now. I got this all in because I had an extra 10 minute, but otherwise I woulda been hosed. Think I really need to throttle down on the back work; might do only vertical or horizontal one day, not both. Either that, or stick with kroc rows at the end to get it all done in one set.

Not feeling too beat up from that deadlift workout. Sore in weird places. Glute/ham is almost 100%.

2 Likes

AM WORKOUT

SSB Squat
5xBar+chains
5x115+chains
5x155+chains
3x205+chains
1x245+chains
1x295+chains
1x335+chains
1x335+chains

Notes: My back is fried from that EMOM workout. Unracking 385 was a Herculean task. Took it easy today, which was probably for the best.

Reverse hypers 270
4x12

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Notes: Performed between sets of squats

Viking squats
20x155
10x135

Notes: Dropset. Re-tightened the bolt on the harness. Didn’t realize how loose it had gotten, and how much it was changing my technique.

General notes: Woke up at 196.6 this morning. I’m thinking about cleaning up the diet and getting a little lean, which I know is a stupid idea while prepping for a contest, but being stupid has gotten me pretty far, so why mess with success?

Awesome stuff man! Thanks for taking part, you’re surely the favourite :slight_smile:

Thanks dude! Appreciate you all coming up with it. Very accessible challenge.

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x66
5x136
5x186
3x231
3x266
11x301 (lifetime PR)
14x231

Notes: Fairly certain this is the only time I’ve ever benched 300lbs for double digits. Pulling it off with 3 hours of sleep is just a cherry on top. I felt AWFUL, and was really hoping to hit 10 just to beat my previous best of 9. That extra rep was awesome. 5/3/1 has been a boon for my bench and press; I will absolutely be buying the presale book on Friday. I encourage every one else to do the same.

Chins (various grips)
1x25
4x20

Band pull aparts
5x20

Notes: Performed between sets of benching.

Circus dumbbell (unloaded at 85lbs)
-Right hand: 4,5,5
-Left hand: 3x3

Notes: There is a significant learning curve on this. The first set is always rough, and after that I get much better. Video is of the second set. Third set was even stronger. I think I might pack the DB on my road trip so I can warm-up with it.

Keg clean and press 100lbs
7 reps per side

Notes: Figure each day I’ll start with the CDB and finish off with another implement. I cleaned as many reps as I could on this before dying.

Hammer curls 40
4x10

General notes: No weigh in today. Stayed overnight at work with little sleep, so this was a great performance all things considered.

3 Likes

Treadmill run

Speed: 7.5
Incline: 1
Distance: 1.5 miles
Time: 12:00

Notes: This felt pretty awful. Left knee buckled a few times and right wasn’t very happy. Lungs held up well.

Woke up at 194.4.

AM WORKOUT

(6) Axle Mat Pulls
5x136
5x226
1x276
1x366 (mixed grip)
1x456 (mixed grip)
6x551 (straps, touch and go, rest pause)
1x456
37 second DOH hold with 276

Notes: My left glute/ham/hip is getting better, but still not 100%, and this is the workout it affects the most. Seriously contemplating putting the ROM progression on holding and hitting up 5/3/1 for deads. Some sub-maximal work might be just what I need. I’ll see how next week goes and go from there.

GHR sit ups w/25lb plate behind head
4x6

Buffalo bar squats
5xBar
5x100
5x140
3x190
1x230
1x280
1x330
1x370
1x410
1x460

Pyramid (only rest long enough for plate changes)
10x140
10x230
10x320
10x230
10x140

Notes: I CAN squat heavy with my hip, but I don’t think heavy with high reps is in the cards, as I’m moving super slow. Still wanted to get a good effect going, so tried this out. Jamie Lewis had a far more psychotic variation of this I’ll have to look up sometime.

General notes: Woke up at 195.0. Weight it doing better. Biggest change was honestly cutting out Halo Top ice cream in the evening. Was just extra calories I didn’t need. I’ll see how things go and work from there.