Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

9 x 2 mins with 30 secs rest. You just had to do one more than me lol !! Now I have to do 10 rounds this week.

1 Like

@simo74 Just trying to rediscover my past, haha.

DEEP WATER WORKOUT 22 (WEEK 6, WORKOUT 2)

PM WORKOUT

Chins
1x25 double overhand
1x20 NG
1x15 double overhand

Axle strict press
10xAxle
10x108
10x136
10x146
10x156
10x166
10x181 (program PR)

superset all of the press with 10 band pull aparts

Axle curls 108
5x10

30 minutes of shoveling snow

Notes: 3:45 between all sets. The topset of 181 on the axle press is a PR for the program, and a pretty significant milestone. I started 5/3/1 pressing quite a while back, and that was where my baseline was established. To be able to hit it after multiple sets of 10 vs working up with light sets of 5 is a solid show.

Curls absolutely murdered my forearms. They were fried from the vipers, and then from the boxing, and then this put the cherry on top. Iā€™d finish a set of curls, rack the bar, and then have to pry my fingers off the bar, as theyā€™d have locked on.

No weigh in this morning.

7 Likes

DEEP WATER ADVANCED PROGRAM WORKOUT 23 (WEEK 6, DAY 3)

PM WORKOUT

Clean pulls 205
3x10

Power cleans
10x135
10x185
10x210 (PR)

Box jumps
5x10

Notes: 3:50 between pulls, 1:50 between jumps. Power cleans are ugly, but theyā€™re getting stronger. Definitely seen progress on it. The jumps were really on point tonight. Feel like Iā€™m hitting my stride on these. Definitely need to keep them going.

Woke up at 203.2 this morning. Tomorrow is the last day of the entire program.

6 Likes

Nice work, I feel out of breath just reading this. You do anything special to improve this lift or is it just a case of keep working it ?

Whatā€™s next?

Probably a rest. :joy:

1 Like

1000 pushups, 1000 situps, 10k run every day

2 Likes

@simo74 Just what the program directs. But I went from having done 0 reps in 19 years to something like 700 reps in 12 weeks, so thereā€™s something there for sure, haha.

@mattjp I have vision correction surgery slated for the end of the month, and then Iā€™ll see what my restrictions are for physical activity. There may be a strongman comp in April to train for, and if it looks good, Iā€™ll vector my training towards that. Otherwise, might try to shed a little excess chub before May roles around and get into a little bit better fighting shape. I have a plan to run this all again, using SSB squats and axle deads, in order to make the squats a little easier and the deads a little harder.

4 Likes

Nice

6 Likes

@oldbeancam HAH! I wish I had caught that.

DEEP WATER ADVANCED PROGRAM WORKOUT 24 (WEEK 6, WORKOUT 4)

PM WORKOUT

Axle continental and press (each rep from floor)
5x136
5x186
2x206

Barbell clean and press
1x225

0x145

No mas

Notes: I just ran out of juice. My forearms have been torqued for a week, and Iā€™m thinking that I canā€™t get my grip strong enough to give my body the feedback loop to move fast on the clean. Just had nothing in me for this workout. Not how Iā€™d want to end it, but if nothing else, a solid sign I gave it my all for 18 weeks.

Woke up at 204.4. Got in some intense snow shoveling today after a freak blizzard, which may have sapped a little bit of my energy.

5 Likes

These two donā€™t go together.

1 Like

In my case, they do. Buffalo bar squats put a lot of strain on my left knee and make recovery harder. Also harder to maintain posture with fatigue. SSB is easier on the knee, and I can significantly deviate with technique under fatigue.

Ah. I understand. SSB Squats are definitely much more simple to do, but they often require much more effort to complete a rep that wouldnā€™t have been there if limited by the common technique of executing a back squat. That makes sense, I think.

Yeah, in a lower rep situation, the straight bar becomes more viable. I failed 2 sets in Deep Water before, and it was just because I couldnā€™t keep form.

1 Like

Rope climbing is probably overkill for what youā€™re doing, but it works forearms and biceps well.

Iā€™m a big fan of rope climbs, and also like rope arm-over-arm pulls with the prowler. At this point though, if I threw anything else onto my forearms, theyā€™d probably rupture, haha.

Hey man. Just recently stumbled into your blog. Great stuff!

Thanks man. Glad to have you as a reader.

1 Like

Hey man looked after your blog, but couldnā€™t find it ā€“ how to find it?

Look up ā€œMythicalStrengthā€ Thatā€™s the name of the blog.

1 Like