Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

@flappinit Sounds good for breakfast for dinner, since I’m so lazy around breakfast time, haha.

DEEP WATER WORKOUT 17 (WEEK 5, WORKOUT 1)

PM WORKOUT

Axle deadlift (double overhand, no straps) 226
3x10

SSB Squats
5xBar
5x115
5x155
5x205
5x245
5x295
5x335
5x385
5x435 (lifetime SSB squat PR)
20x285
26x220

Notes: 3:50 between sets of 5, 7:50 between big sets. Took the axle deadlifts without straps to keep the weight light and make the stimulus tough. SSB squats were right about the right level of intensity. I notice a complete absence of fear of heavy sets with this current program, as this is the most I’ve ever squatted with an SSB and it went pretty well.

No weigh in this morning. I’m going to be having corrective vision surgery at the end of the month, and intend to drop some weight during that time.

12 Likes

Hey man, I just wanted to say that I loved your latest blog post. Just finished up reading it and, as rants go, it was a pretty awesome rant :joy:. Really great stuff to read, and consistently great at that.

1 Like

@j4gga2 Thanks man! Appreciate having you as a reader.

PM WORKOUT

Heavy bag boxing (8 rounds)
2 minutes on, 30 seconds off

Notes: Holy hell, I had no idea how bad my staights had gotten until I saw them on video. No sense of range, zero speed/pop, can see them from a mile away. Still a little something left in that left hook/shovel hook. I need to throw the right more in general; always been gunshy since the shoulder dislocations. Also need to move away at an angle: always moving straight back. I remember all my old bad habits, now I just need to remember how to fix them.

These were the first 2 rounds. As rounds got later, I tried to focus on finding my range for the straights, throwing double lefts and double rights, 2 body, 1 head, etc. Been watching a lot of Bas Rutten footage and paying attention to what he says.

On round 8, I just hit the bag the whole time through the round. Left straight-right straight-left straight-right straight-left hook-right-hook-left hook-right hook-repeat. Was a solid burn out.

No weigh in this morning.

4 Likes

An objective self-critique. Ok, now, I am impressed!

You could try starting some combos with the right -I know personally, the first punch of the combo is usually the one thrown with the best form, and hopefully the least risk for injury.

Does Rutten suggest breaking up the combos by angling after the jab before the money shots? Or angling first before firing away, as opposed to always starting the punches from “the front”? Or am I just couch coaching…LOL.

I definitely would not want to get hit by those hooks! They remind me of a guy I used to know/avoid…

Ya know, I haven’t heard him speak to that yet. I’m sure he’s be in favor of coming in from different angles. I always had an issue of just coming straight in. Appreciate the idea.

Starting with the right would be unique for me. Just never something I thought of. Might give it a try.

Much appreciated dude. The left shovel hook was always decent for me. I got to see the ghost of my past pop up in there on a few of those, haha.

Hahah! Just read your rant -spot on and awesome.

1 Like

After a quick little search, I had only just found your blog.

Interesting reads thats for sure, very similar view points to myself which didnt really surprise me, had me laughing at the photo comment “hey guys deadlifts stalled at 135, should I run deadlift smolov or coan/phillipi”

Do you use your boxing as your active recovery day?

I love the heavy bag, nice work.

@punnyguy Thanks man!

@anon96032531 Glad you enjoyed the blog. Yeah, using the heavybag as my active recovery. Was doing prowler and stones before, but I got bit by the fight bug again, so I’m riding that out.

@simo74 Thanks dude!

DEEP WATER ADVANCED WORKOUT 18 (WEEK 5, WORKOUT 2)

AM WORKOUT

Chins
1x25 double overhand
1x20 NG
1x18 Close grip NG

Axle strict press
10xAxle
10x116
10x136
10x146
10x156
10x171 (pr)

Band pull aparts
5x20

Axle curls 103
5x10

Notes: 3:50 between sets. Happy with how the press turned out. There’s a decline a curl performance that directly correlates with if I hit the bag the day before. Just something I’ve learned to factor in.

Woke up at 203.4.

5 Likes

Good job, how were the lungs at the end of this one ?

Thanks man. Lungs were good. Push press beats them up pretty good, but strict press isn’t awful. Log changes things though.

DEEP WATER ADVANCED WORKOUT 18 (WEEK 5, WORKOUT 2)

AM WORKOUT

Power cleans
10x115
10x135
10x155
10x175
10x195
10x205 (pr)

Box jumps
3x20

Notes: 3:50 between sets. I totally did not want to do this workout. These clean days just beat me up mentally. That said, hit a topset of bodyweight for 10, so that’s something. Definitely noticing that I’m getting more explosive and a little more mobile, although my left elbow feels like it’s going to explode at any second.

Second set of box jumps was the best set. I got angry beforehand for some reason, and it shined through. I think I’ve just been going through the motions on the jump, not really thinking about actually accelerating fast. It’s the same issue I was having with my straights on the heavybag. I threw some straights as part of some basic shadowboxing and could get them to move fast if I focused on it, but going into autopilot, I move slow.

Taking MORE lessons from previous experience, the yoke is the exact same way. My feet will plod unless I consciously think “quick feet quick feet quick feet”. Just something I have to be aware of for me.

Woke up at 204.0.

8 Likes

Time for some more “low carb bulk” tips

That is 9 whole eggs, some crumbled bacon, a whole avocado, some cheese, and a can of fire roasted tomatoes, with some sour cream on top.

I have a bottomless appetite for eggs. I ate this 2 hours ago and I’m starving. But I have to make it on the nights my wife is out because she hates the smell.

Thinking future plans, I’m getting corrective vision surgery at the end of Jan. The doc’s original orders say no physical activity for 2 weeks post op. I’m going to see exactly what that means, because if I follow it literally, I’ll be about 3 weeks off from training factoring in travel time.

After that, I may have a competition in April to train for. Or, I might just run something like 5/3/1 Beefcake and then jump back into Deep Water. I’m thinking of running the program again with SSB squats and axle deadlifts. Makes the squats a little easier and the deads a little harder. Otherwise, I think I’m getting a little burnt out. Boxing interests me again, but I got no real way to train it. I’ll keep hitting the bag, and maybe find someone to spar, but it’ll still just be conditioning work.

5 Likes

That looks absolutely delicious. I think some sausage would be a welcome addition

Concur. I like to add it whenever I have it, but I was being lazy and didn’t want to cook up anything else. Eggs are always my “emergency meal”.

2 Likes

Yer that looks very tasty, I would probably add a little chorizo

1 Like

My dinner last night was eggs and ground venison. I cheated and put salsa on it though.

1 Like

DEEP WATER ADVANCED WORKOUT 20 (WEEK 5, WORKOUT 4)

PM WORKOUT

Axle bench press 291
2x10
1x7

Axle close grip bench 251
1x10
1x9
1x8

Swiss bar incline press 205
3x10

Dips
1x30

Push ups
1x42

Notes: Slept in this morning and got this done after dinner. Really pushed hard, since this is my last bench workout on the program. Ultimately satisfied. Had to cut it a little short to get my kid to bed on time.

Woke up at 202.6.

5 Likes

DEEP WATER WORKOUT 21 (WEEK 6, WORKOUT 1)

PM WORKOUT

Log viper press (each rep from the floor)
5xLog
5x120
5x140
5x160
5x180
5x200
5x205
22x135
30x105

Notes: 3:50 between sets of 5, 7:50 between back off sets. Played around with placement of my softbelt. Found a sweet spot where I wasn’t getting pinched, but the log was slippery as well. I can play that to my advantage if I get better at getting my hips through on the clean. Too much arm in most of these, but it’s been a long time since I hit vipers.

Definitely some long pauses between reps on those backoff sets, but on the plus side, my back wasn’t the x-factor today. I most likely coulda kept going with more pauses, but it seemed unproductive.

No weigh in this morning.

8 Likes

PM WORKOUT

Heavy bag boxing 9 rounds
2 minutes on, 30 seconds rest

Notes: Tried to make the straights a little faster. Not much, but it’s there. Doubled up on jabs, threw the right hand a little more. Tried 2 body-1 head with hooks, but there’s nothing behind that second hook based on the video. Gotta commit more. Need to come in at angles too. Telegraphing the hell out of the left too. If I’m gonna use peek-a-book, then the gloves need to stay on my face until they don’t.

Last round was same as before: just 2 minutes of head-head-head-head-body-body-body-body. Solid burnout. My forearms are destroyed from leg yesterday. Tomorrow will be fun.

2 Likes