Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

Hey man, wondering if you might have some insight to share on my continued attempts to utterly disrespect the strict press, mostly regarding the set up.

I’ve seen some folks suggest packing the upper back like a bench to start, and others suggest flaring the lats for the wider ‘shelf’ for the triceps. Any thoughts either way on that?

@mr.v3lv3t Funny enough, I did a video on overhead press set up YEARS back. See if it helps

I really don’t think much about what my body is doing. I hate cues. I find, if I get UNDER the bar and unrack it with my chest, it sorts itself out.

@simo74 I’m not athletic or talented, so I have to make up for it with crazy, haha.

3 Likes

Too funny, that’s pretty much exactly the way I set up for the lift since I started a few years ago haha.

Recently switched to more of the ‘floating’ style press, which feels better from a pressing mechanics standpoint and on my wrists, but the rack is awful feeling. Just gonna have to keep at it until something feels right. Thanks man!

1 Like

@mr.v3lv3t No prob dude; hope it works out!

DEEP WATER WORKOUT 12 (WEEK 3, WORKOUT 4)

PM WORKOUT

Log cleans
5xLog (100lbs)
5x120
5x140
5x160
5x180
5x200
5x200
5x210
20x135
21x105

Notes: 3:50 between sets of 5, 4:50 between the backoff sets. This is a deviation from the program, as today was supposed to be full cleans, but I figured I’d be learning how to clean rather than getting any meaningful volume, so I went with something I knew how to do that would still have me in a squat at the bottom. Massive lower back pump from this.

Hands and forearms are fried from doing this today and cleans yesterday.

No weigh in this morning.

5 Likes

DEEP WATER WORKOUT 13 (WEEK 4, WORKOUT 1)

PM WORKOUT

Buffalo bar squats 240
3x10

Texas Deadlift bar touch and go deadlifts

5x135
5x225
5x315
5x405
5x455
5x495
5x555
24x360
26x280

Notes: 3:50 between sets of 5, 4:50 for first backoff, 7:50 for second. Much better than last time; not eating before the workout is key. May have had a little more for that topset. Happy with the effort otherwise.

Woke up at 202.8 after massive Taco Bell binge. Just trying to get the weight back.

11 Likes

Some effort went into that mate, smashed it. Pretty hardcore :+1:

1 Like

This deep water program is interesting but not for me yet

Inspiring log man. Subbed!

I could have swore Ive read that somewhere… :rofl:

I havent had the chance to browse through advanced yet
What are your thoughts and a little synopsis so far?

@Rizla81 Much appreciated dude. Was good to be able to give it that effort. Little bummed I misread my program; didn’t realize this would be my last opportunity for Deep Water deads. Otherwise, I woulda gone until blackout.

@losthog It’s not for me yet either, haha. My wife taught me a great lesson once. I had just started my new job, was learning the ropes, and planned to start a Masters soon. Right before I was going to start, I got a promotion, with new responsibilities. I said “Ok, I guess I’ll learn THIS job, and THEN I’ll start my Masters”. My wife said “You know, there’s never going to be a GOOD time to start your Masters; you might as well just pick a bad time and do it.”

I signed up that day, haha.

@idontbrag123 Awesome dude; good to have you aboard.

@anon96032531 It’s funny, because during the beginner and intermediate phases it wasn’t the biggest deal, but on the advanced, you DEFINITELY don’t want to eat beforehand.

I’ll be writing a review on it, but understanding it from a Wendler perspective, Beginner and Intermediate are like leaders, and intermediate is an anchor. The advanced program isn’t meant for advanced trainees, and it doesn’t make you MORE advanced than the beginner and intermediate programs: it just gives you the opportunity to realize everything you built in those prior programs. It all looks insane on paper, but it all works.

PM WORKOUT

Heavy punching bag boxing workout

6 rounds
2 minutes on
30 seconds rest

Notes: I’ve been getting the itch to fight again, and I found myself buying yet another pair of boxing gloves (16oz) at the sporting goods store and doing it all over again. I haven’t hit a heavybag since about 2012, but it was like riding a bike. I’ve missed it so much. Just a part of my identity I can’t shake. I’ve learned from enough of these start/stop boxing binges that I couldn’t go full power today, because otherwise my hands, wrists and elbows will ache for days, but still went enough to suck wind and get in a good workout. Had to go a little shorter on time than I’d like due to schedule restraints, but I’m happy. Mrs has a co-worker she might con into being a sparring partner too.

I know my footwork is a mess, I’m sure I’m slower than I was, but hell, I felt like I was home again. I also legit thing my testosterone is dailed up from all the sleep I’ve been getting, and maybe Deep Water is a part of that as well.

Woke up at 201.8.

2 Likes

Thats insane, that was exactly the way I pictured it when I was reading it. Funny you mentioned that. I kinda came to that conclusion that yeah you might be able to do a day here or there if it was a casual thing, but you wouldnt stick to it. But if youre consistently finding your portal, thats where the magic happens, and thats where it seperates the consistant to the average

Yeah, I remember being kind of let down reading the advanced program at first thinking “What makes this so advanced?”, but it all fits together well.

2 Likes

That deadlift list.

Your energy…

1 Like

@biker Just a good amount of grit. Firing on all cylinders these days, minus a little slowdown from that stomach bug. Appreciate the kind words.

DEEP WATER ADVANCED PROGRAM WORKOUT 14 (WEEK 4, WORKOUT 2)

AM WORKOUT

Chins
1x24 double over
1x20 NG
1x13 double over

Axle strict press
10xAxle
10x66
10x83
10x103
10x136
10x146
10x156
10x166

Band pull aparts
5x20

Axle curls
1x100

Notes: 3:50 between chins, and sets of pressing. Beat my previous best press workout, and that was a PM workout, so that’s cool. Right wrist/forearm was feeling the heavy bag from yesterday, went to set up for a heavy set of curls and my hand basically locked onto the axle. Had to pry the fingers off. Decided to take the weight off and do Poundstone curls. Always effective.

Woke up at 203.0

5 Likes

DEEP WATER ADVANCED PROGRAM WORKOUT 15 (WEEK 4, WORKOUT 3)

AM WORKOUT

Power cleans
10x95
10x115
10x135
10x155
10x175
10x195
10x200

Box jumps
3x20

Notes: 3:50 rest between sets. Those last 2 sets of cleans has some small resting between reps 6-10, but they got done. The wound on my left hand is finally healed enough that I didn’t need a glove on it. Cut out the clean pulls today due to time constraints. Box jumps were pretty awesome. Definitely gained a lot of ability there with this program.

Woke up at 204.0. Weight seems to have come back.

5 Likes

DEEP WATER ADVANCED WORKOUT 16 (WEEK 4, WORKOUT 4)

AM WORKOUT

Axle bench press 291
1x10
1x9
1x6

Close grip axle bench 251
1x10
1x9
1x7

Swiss bar incline bench 205
2x10
1x7

Push ups
1x31
2x21

Notes: 3:50 between sets. Haven’t been able to treat the bench workouts like I did in previous Deep Water programs due to the training frequency, but I’m still seeing it grow. Left elbow started acting up again this week.

Woke up at 202.4.

4 Likes

You need to eat more wheaties before bedtime

I go with cottage cheese mixed with PB fit. I really need to work on getting avocados back in the diet.

1 Like

Avocado + spinach + cottage cheese + scrambled eggs + sriracha. Breakfast bowl for the win.

3 Likes

I’m with ya except for the cottage cheese. I can only eat that plain.