T Nation

Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Post Knee Reconstruction

After a weekend of extreme hedonism in Ibiza, I swear I’ve never been stronger than when I was vomiting in the airport bathroom. I think I could’ve cracked that toilet bowl with one more puke.

@JMaier31 Hopefully you steer clear of it dude!

@liftangryordie500 Hiding stuff is never good for a marriage, haha. Thankfully, it worked out.

@mr.v3lv3t Oh man, getting sick with travel is the worst. Happened to me 7 years back. Just miserable.

DEEP WATER WORKOUT 6 (WEEK 2, WORKOUT 2)

PM WORKOUT

Axle strict press
10xAxle
10x66
10x83
10x103
10x116
10x136
10x153
10x163
6x166

Axle curls 103
5x10

Notes: Pulled something in my left tricep on the first or second warm up set, so took it easy from there. I imagine it’s from dehydration from yesterday. I’m really going off memory for the press sets, but I was basically going for super small jumps using my bizarre combination of pound and kilo plates. Just wanted to slowly work up to a topset of 10. Wound down the curl weights because form was just getting silly on them.

I owe some chins. I’ll do them tomorrow. I think I’m going to count the vomiting as my ab work.

I went to Mexico with my youth group in high school. I got a little food poisoning and was struggling on the day that we went shopping and doing tourist things. We took a school bus to the border crossing. I puked on the bus but held it in my mouth. I searched around me with a look of terror hoping to find a bag. No luck so I went for the window. I let it go as we were going down the road. Most of it went down the side of the bus (raisin bran IIRC) but a little came back in the next window and hit the person in the seat behind me in the face. We pulled up to a stop light as I finished and a pickup with a bed full of what appeared to be rabbit food stopped next to us. It was a strange experience.

@JMaier31 As far as getting sick in Mexico goes, that’s honestly not too bad, haha.

PM WORKOUT

Pull ups
1x24
1x19
1x17

Notes: Finishing up yesterday’s workout. 4:00 between sets. Got some figure 8 straps for christmas, so tried them out. Second set worked out the best. They need a little twist in them to get the most out of them it seems. Also got a rehband back support which, when combined with my spud deadlift belt, SHOULD make it so that I don’t get pinched to hell on the log and will have fewer scars on my stomach.

Woke up at 201.0. Still recovering from illness. Ate well today, but not big enough. Just going to keep a focus on calories for the next few days.

DEEP WATER ADVANCED PROGRAM WORKOUT 7 (WEEK 2, WORKOUT 3)

PM WORKOUT

Axle bench press 291
3x7

Close grip axle bench 246
3x10

Swiss bar incline bench 205
1x10
1x9
1x8

Dips
1x28
1x24
1x22

Notes: 3:50 between sets. Was just amateur hour on the bench press: kept hitting the the j-hooks on the right side. Figured out I had my bench slid a little too far to one side. I’m still not quite 100% as it is, so chalked it up and kept going. Rest of workout was solid. Zero appetite for most of the day but finally seems to be coming back.

Woke up at 199.8. Just salvaging at this point.

DEEP WATER ADVANCED WORKOUT 8 (WEEK 2, WORKOUT 4)

PM WORKOUT

Clean pulls 205
3x10

Power clean
5x95
5x115
5x135
5x158
5x185
5x205
5x215
30x140
41x105

Notes: First off, hell yeah. 3:50 between sets of 5, 4:50 between the back off sets. I MAY have been able to push one more set of 5, but on the final rep I mistimed something, the bar slipped out of my left hand, crashed on my chest, and tore a small chunk out of the web of my hand. Put some chalk in the hole for the back off sets, but still got a nice circle of blood on my shiny new bar.

Those backoff sets were finally acceptable to me. Really felt like I “got” what this was all about. Kept hitting second and third gears through it and finding more and more in me, only stopping when I finally had nothing left to give. Total lung breakers. Form fell apart and I got to rely on pure brute force at the end.

That said, on the topic of form, it’s honestly come a long way. Feeling much more explosive. Still have a long way to go, but it’s progress.

Woke up at 200.2. Appetite is coming back thankfully.

Get me a bucket, I’m going to throw up

Make that two buckets

A third bucket please

Don’t worry guys; I’ve puked enough for you all recently that you don’t need to.

Also, for the first time ever, I finally have sore traps from cleans, so maybe I figured something out.

This program is disgusting and so very intriguing.

I think everyone should give it a run at some point. Right up there with Super Squats as something that just really tests you.

It’s certainly pushed it’s way into my list of programs to try, rudely at that haha.

DEEP WATER ADVANCED WORKOUT 9 (WEEK 3, WORKOUT 1)

PM WORKOUT

Axle deadlifts 276
3x10

SSB Squats
5xBar
5x115
5x155
5x205
5x245
5x295
5x335
5x385
5x425
21x275
24x215

Notes: 3:50 between sets of the heavy squats, 5 minutes between backoff sets. Trying to focus on not rounding, but don’t care if it does happen: effort s the focus. This bar is perfect for this sort of workout, because I can just keep gutting reps out no matter how much the form is falling apart. Definitely where I wanted the effort to be.

Left hamstring has been killing me past 2 days. Mrs. point out that’s the hamstring they harvested for my ACL, so maybe I tweaked it a touch with the power cleans.

No weigh in this morning. Slept for 11 hours last night. Got a small cold, and Mrs and I have just been sleeping in all week. I think I’ve been paying off a big sleep debt.

That just sounds nasty lol

How were the quads after all those reps, busting out of your shorts ??

@duketheslaya Honestly not a big deal. A LOT of folks talked about how hard recovery was on the hamstring for that, but I haven’t noticed anything terrible. It’s the same hamstring I’ve blown out a few times before, so maybe it was already damaged enough.

@simo74 Nah, I’m locking out too much to get a decent quad pump. My legs are sore today, but in the moment it’s more the whole body breaking down.

DEEP WATER ADVANCED WORKOUT 10 (WEEK 3, WORKOUT 2)

PM WORKOUT

Chins
1x25 double overhand
1x19 NG
1x14 DOH

Push press
10xAxle
10x66
10x116
10x136
10x156
10x176
10x186
4x196

Superset w/matching band pull aparts

Axle curls 108
5x10

Notes:3:50 between chins and curls. Push presses were ok. Legs were shot from squatting, so not a lot of leg drive. Been getting in a lot of PM workouts these past few weeks since work has been light and I’ve been doing half days. Mrs and have been sleeping in a bunch. My nutrition has gone to crap; I’ve been feeling too sorry for myself with some remaining nausea and living off supplements, and it’s starting to show. I’m a lot more bloated than I’ve been, which probably just self perpetuates. Trying to make a concentrated effort to get back to more solid foods.

Woke up at 200.8.

Those last couple of workouts brother, you are made of something tough.
30 + 41 cleans and the squats 21 + 24 reps and then 50+ reps of push press
just brutal
Happy New Year Pwn looking forward to see the next event.

@mortdk Thanks man. Definitely hitting my stride with the program.

DEEP WATER ADVANCED WORKOUT 11 (WEEK 3, WORKOUT 3)

PM WORKOUT

Clean pulls 205
3x10

Power cleans
10x95lbs
10x115
10x135
10x155
10x175
10x185
10x195

Notes: 3:50 between sets. Left hand still isn’t healed, so wore 1 glove ala Michael Jackson, which went with my Iron Maiden tanktop. Felt incredibly explosive today; really seems to be paying off.

Woke up at 200.6.

You’re different mate