Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

If you aren’t cheating, you aren’t trying, haha.

2 Likes

You’ve been competing in strongman far too long my friend. Hahaha

3 Likes

I can wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

1 Like

@oldbeancam I originally heard the statement from Tito Ortiz, oddly enough, but it’s a universal truth in all sports. That said, strongman has perfected it, haha.

DEEP WATER INTERMEDIATE BRIDGE WORKOUT 20 (WEEK 5, WORKOUT 4)

AM WORKOUT

Axle bench press 286
2x10
1x6

Close grip axle bench 241
1x10
1x9
1x7

Swiss bar incline press 205
1x10
1x9
1x7

Dips
1x29
1x27
1x19

1 minute plank/20 sit ups for 3 rounds with no rest.

Notes: 1:50 between sets. Definitely in the “strap in and hold on” portion of this workout. Just gotta keep gutting it out until I can increase the rest periods again, and then I’ll see the growth, but these are still solid attempts. Also, with the short rest periods, I’m able to get the ab work done at the end of the workout instead of later in the day.

Left shoulder has been bugging me a touch. Cleans seem to be the primary source of pain with it, but the benching pisses it off some.

Woke up at 204.4.

2 Likes

@T3hPwnisher what would you recommend on improving yoke? I’ve only done it three times and i worked up to about a 80-90% 200kg for 15 metres. Comp weights From what i seen is usually around 250kg for the novice class but it hasn’t been released yet.

Basically in a few months time i want to be real fast with that and it being pretty light come comp time

Keep in mind I’m not very good at yoke. That said, best advice is to stay away from heavy yoke in training and focus on footspeed. Heavy yoke will break you down and training to be slow will make you slow. If you focus on quick feet, you’ll move fast even under a heavy load. If you focus on heavy weight, you’ll move slow even under a light load.

I typically like 4-6 runs of 50’ for a training day with yoke.

Well I’m sure it’s much better than mine :joy:

Thankyou for this!

I’ll give that a try. I remember you posting in my log about farmers to keep the time under ten seconds so I’ll do that. Once i hit say 6-8 seconds consistently on all my sets then I’ll add weight

1 Like

@duketheslaya No problem dude: hope it works out!

DEEP WATER INTERMEDIATE BRIDGE WORKOUT 21 (WEEK 6, WORKOUT 1)

PM WORKOUT

Texas deadlift bar touch and go deadlifts 368lbs
4x13
4x12

Box jumps
5x10

SSB squats 220
2x15

Notes: 4:50 between sets, with time to feel sorry for myself as needed. Treated myself to sleeping in on a Saturday for the first time in a LONG time, something of a reward for getting through the squats last week. This workout is still awful in it’s own unique way. With the squats, I can tell you that my legs are dying and my lungs are broken. With the deads, I’ll finish the set and just feel my whole self crushed, but couldn’t tell you what specifically is hurting. Like I wrote before: the squats break your body, the deads break your soul.

Tested out my new TItan SSB. With the angle of the handles/camber, it’s different than my previous one, and I have to fight my instincts to pull it down and round my back. I CAN do that, but I can also NOT do it, whereas it wasn’t really an option before. I might make use of it for my next training cycle.

No weigh in this morning, but I’ve been eating well, to the point that I went a little too greasy on my pre-training meal and made a concentrated effort not to vomit from set 4 onward.

6 Likes

DEEP WATER INTERMEDIATE BRIDGE WORKOUT 22 (WEEK 6, WORKOUT 2)

AM WORKOUT

Axle strict press 146
4x13
4x12

SUPERSET w/

Band pull aparts
4x13
4x12

Axle curls 113
3x10

Notes: 4:50 between sets. My left shoulder was pissed during warm ups, but seemed to figure it out come workset time. This was a pretty solid workout, because there’s no real cheating with the strict presses, so going from 100 in 10 sets to 100 in 8 was significant. Time ran low, got some hard sets of curls in and called it. Only real negative with the intermediate program is I don’t gain more time with reduced rests like I did with the beginner program.

Woke up at 203.6. Managed a 20 minute incline treadmill walk while wearing the weight vest yesterday as well.

5 Likes

DEEP WATER INTERMEDIATE BRIDGE WORKOUT 23 (WEEK 6, WORKOUT 3)

AM WORKOUT

Power cleans 148
4x13
4x12

NG chins
1x20

Notes: 3:50 between sets. Alarm didn’t go off this morning, but I thankfully got up just 15 minutes after it was supposed to. Put a small crimp in the workout, but I got the important stuff done. It’s my last clean workout, and really last 100 rep workout of the program. Cleans got better, but were still pretty awful. Had to run back to back workouts due to work conflicts.

Woke up at 203.6.

5 Likes

That sounds like a horrible workout. I can feel my lungs burning just reading it. Well done for getting through it.

Thanks man. On the plus side, one of the benefits of never warming up is that, when the alarm doesn’t go off and time is short, I can just jump right into it, haha.

2 Likes

DEEP WATER INTERMEDIATE BRIDGE WORKOUT 24 (WEEK 6, WORKOUT 4, FINAL WORKOUT)

AM WORKOUT

Axle bench press 286
2x10
1x7

Close grip axle bench 241
1x10
1x9
1x7

Swiss bar incline bench 205
1x10
1x9
1x6

Dips
1x25
2x20

Notes: 1:50 between rounds. Left shoulder and elbow are really feeling trashed. Caught myself abusing the left shoulder on the incline bench: I’m relaxing too much at the bottom of the eccentric to sorta springboard the weight back up. Explains a lot. Saw a little bit of progress on the benching, and that’s all I was focused on. Made it through the program and starting the advanced tomorrow. Good place to be.

Woke up at 202.6. Work was long yesterday and meals didn’t happen as well as I woulda liked.

6 Likes

I was watching Uncle Nic’s OSG world championship strongman recap on Youtube. Can you give a short summation of the different strongman organizations and their respective “prestige levels” if you will? (e.g. Flipcollar from this site competes in a “world” competition but obviously not the same as Nic)

The only thing I do know is WSM and The Arnold are top of the heap.

Thanks!

Oh man, I genuinely have no idea. That’s too political for me. The only real thing I can comment on is that WSM is a TV show first and a sporting event second, which is why there wasn’t any qualifier for it up until VERY recently and it was invite only otherwise. They just wanted to make the most interesting competition.

I have a vague idea of qualifying stuff, but with more feds springing up it seems like there is a world event/record breaker/all time best, etc etc every week. I like competing in local competitions, but a lot of that stuff just doesn’t interest me.

2 Likes

I like how they designate records for different implements. I think Thor holds the deadlift record on the Elephant Bar but we all know Eddie holds the old fashioned deadlift record.

It’s honestly really silly in the sport, haha. With Rogue standardizing equipment you can make a somewhat better argument, but most stuff in the sport isn’t standardized, and trying to make and compare records gets dumb.

It’s the powerlifting element creeping into the sport. Same with the multiple feds. Honestly not a big fan. Should be about who wins the most competitions, rather than setting records on individual lifts. But Rogue is smart, and they’re giving the public what they want.

5 Likes

DEEP WATER ADVANCED PROGRAM WORKOUT 1 (WEEK 1, WORKOUT 1)

AM WORKOUT

Axle deadlift 276
3x10

Titan SSB Squat
5xBar
5x115
5x155
5x205
5x245
5x295
5x325
5x385
5x405
17x266
21x206

Notes: Alternated sets of warm-ups with the deads and squats, and then work sets of deads with warm ups of squats. 2:50 rest between sets on deads and the heavier work up sets of squats. Once I got to 385, I rested 5 minutes before the set of 405, then 5 minutes between the next 2 sets. I used the SSB because I felt it would be a better choice for the Deep Water aspect, since it allows for greater form deviation. Theory proved true, because I was folding over like mad on the final set of the day. Because of that, I’m curious on if it’s the right call, as I’m achieving a different effect compared to if I was just doing squats, but as long as I’m working hard it won’t be a loss.

The Titan SSB makes it that I am less prone to folding over, but those are still my instincts and it happens when things get really tough. I might try the next Deep Water workout with the buffalo bar, but I’m still undecided. If nothing else, this will help my buggy shoulder.

This was a solid push, but I’ve got to dig deeper to really make the most of this program. Definitely going to make this the focus.

Woke up at 203.0. Carbed up with some fried rice last night.

3 Likes

I’ve got the Titan SSB too. I find with it my fold over isn’t a good morning squat like a straight bar but more of an upper back curl while maintaining a fairly neutral lower back. Similar for you? If that’s a coherent explanation.

That is a pretty good summary. It is where the degrade starts at least. Towards the end, I was definitely flexing at the lower back.

1 Like