Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

@caesium32 My understanding is that the bodyscanners have a baseline of the human form that they compare against, and they use that baseline to compare against your own personal scan to detect for unnatural protrusions that could be weapons/bombs/drugs that you’ve strapped to your person. Basically looking for unnatural bumps. The past 3 times I’ve flown, whenever I go through a bodyscanner, my image will have big yellow boxes on top of one or both of my traps, and I have to get patted down on that area. The first time it happened, the TSA agent was a little confused and was like “Uh sir, I’m going to have to pat down your…shoulders? Please hold still.” The next two times, both guys said something to the extent that I needed to lift less weights, haha.

DEEP WATER WORKOUT 16 (WEEK 5, WORKOUT 1)

PM WORKOUT

Buffalo Bar Squats 270
10x10

Axle touch and go deadlifts 256
3x10

Bodyweight lunges
3x10

Notes: 1:55 between sets for the first 7 sets, 2:00 for the next 2 with time spent feeling sorry for myself at the bar, and 4:00 for the final set. Still marked progress compared to where I started, and I’ve come through on the other end something different…keeping in mind this is ONLY the beginner program. This is like Building the Monolith on bathsalts. I legit had an out of body experience on set 9, where I kept telling myself to get under the bar and I noticed that my body wasn’t actually doing it. I had to actually will myself to set up under the bar. It was surreal to say the least. Once it was all done, I spent 10 minute laying down on the floor and then another 10 minutes very slowly setting up the deadlifts, which goes to show that, no matter what, the program will get it’s 40 minutes of rest out of you.

Ate a moderate sized lunch beforehand, and in turn spent much of the workout trying to keep it in. The book says to not eat before training, and it’s for a good reason. Had a very decent exertion headache after the 10th set of squats as well, and by the time lunges rolled around, I just had to gut it out.

No weigh in this morning, due to work shenanigans, but been doing my best to eat big.

7 Likes

Lmao like that is ever going to happen

@simo74 I just gotta break myself real good one day and I’ll be there, haha.

PM WORKOUT

Prolwer

Airdyne for 5 minutes

Notes: For the prowler, I wore my 45lb vest and loaded 140lbs on the prowler. Pushed on the low handles for 50’, then immediately backwards dragged the prowler back to start, then immediately started over, for total of 4 rounds (or 400’). Then hopped on the airdyne for 5 minutes. I’m breaking my own protocol here, but I’m trying to get ahead of the soreness this week. Last time, I limped until Friday, and I can only assume it’ll be even worse this time. Might make the Airdyne a regular feature this week, if I can manage.

Woke up at 198.8. Been eating my face off, but hard to get in front of the program. Getting more meat and eggs to finish out these 2 weeks.

7 Likes

DEEP WATER WORKOUT 18 (WEEK 5, WORKOUT 2)

AM WORKOUT

Chins
1x21 double overhand
1x12 NG
1x9 double underhand
1x9 NG

Shrugs 405
4x10

Clean pulls 235
3x10

Reverse hyper 270
2x20
1x15

Airdyne
5 minutes

Notes: 1:55 between sets. Chins are getting worse with the lower rest time and weight gain, but that’s to be expected. First set of shrugs was gnarly, but after that I found my grove. Clean pulls would be good until about rep 7 or so, which is a victory for me. Starting to hit my stride on those. Took the weight down and upped the reps on the hyper, and threw in the airdyne to try to get the soreness out of my legs.

Woke up at 199.4.

3 Likes

You knocked out 21 chin-ups at 200 pounds and you call that bad? Jesus, I’d hate to see what you consider adequate haha.

Not bad, just worse than what I started at, numberswise. The first one isn’t losing too many reps, but the follow ups are showing a decline, which would make sense.

That said, post ACL injury, I was hitting in the 30s, since my legs had atrophied and I was lighter, haha.

1 Like

That is insane.

There’s the key to improving pull ups - stop training legs!

1 Like

@Frank_C Also works for bench coefficient, haha.

DEEP WATER WORKOUT 19 (WEEK 5, WORKOUT 3)

AM WORKOUT

Axle Push Press 151

10x10

Axle curls

3x10x98lbs

2x10x93lbs

DB lateral raise 30

3x10

Notes: 1:50 between sets on push press. My legs are still screaming from squats, so had to really focus on what I was doing. To this program’s credit, my push press has gotten a lot better. “Leg drive” really sells it short: it’s about getting the whole body into it. Specifically, I learned I was leaking a lot of strength by only pushing with my legs and keeping my hips back. I’ve started snapping my whole body into a straight line and it’s been a night and day difference.

The curls are becoming effective. I’m allowing myself some body English and really pushing the weight on it, and I seem to be responding well.

Woke up at 199.8

6 Likes

DEEP WATER WORKOUT 20 (WEEK 5, WORKOUT 4)

AM WORKOUT

Axle bench press 256
3x10

Axle close grip bench 226
2x9
1x8

Swiss bar incline bench 190
1x10
2x9

Dips
1x23
1x19
1x20

Push ups
1x17
1x21
1x20

Notes: 1:50 between sets. Going to keep the weight the same for those parts that I didn’t get all the way through. Still pleased with how this training day is going.

Woke up at 198.4

4 Likes

DEEP WATER WORKOUT 21 (WEEK 6, WORKOUT 1)

AM WORKOUT

Texas deadlift bar touch and go deadlifts 345lbs
10x10

Buffalo bar squats 225
3x10

Walking DB lunges 20lbs
3x10

Notes: 1:50 between sets. Between set 9 and 10, gave myself 4 minutes, just to ensure success. Very first set was absolute garbage form, and last time I did this I woke up in the middle of the night with a lot of back pain, so I focused on making sure I had better positioning for the rest of it. On the 7th rep of the last set, I felt a slight tweak in my right pec and it kept happening for the rest of the set, but it seems to have gone away.

Still not taking deads as serious as squats on the program, and that’s going to bite me one day.

Woke up at 199.6. Work has been high stress these past 2 weeks and will continue for about 1-2 more weeks, so I’m doing my best to try to keep my nutrition solid. Hydration has been poor the past 2 days, and I’ve been trying to compensate with some zero carb sports drinks.

2 Likes

DEEP WATER WORKOUT 22 (WEEK 6, WORKOUT 2)

AM WORKOUT

Chins
1x21 double overhand
1x12 NG
1x11 chins
1x10 NG

Shrugs 425
4x10

Clean pulls 205
3x10

Reverse hyper 270
3x20

1 minute plank/20 sit ups circuit
3 rounds, no rest

Notes: With the 1:50 rest times, I’m able to get the ab work in at the end of the workout, rather than on a separate one. I managed last week too, just forgot to log it. I took the weight down on the clean pulls to focus on technique. I set a 1rm in the clean yesterday of 240lbs for the next bit of the programming, took video, and it’s clear I still have no idea what I’m doing. It won’t stop me from running the program, and the weight will be light enough that I should be able to fix some issues, but still I’m seeing the value in being fast rather than moving the heaviest weight possible.

Woke up at 200.4. Celebrated a birthday yesterday. Went a little off menu with some onion rings with my dinner and a slice of pumpkin cheesecake. Feeling some of the bloat.

8 Likes

Congrats on surviving another year!

I think I read an article once upon a time that stated we should train in the 60-80% range on cleans. If we go heavier then we get too slow and it’s no longer improving our explosiveness.

2 Likes

Thanks man. Sounds like the typical suggestion for dynamic work, which makes sense. Speed is absolutely my weakness.

2 Likes

Didn’t want to mention if it wasn’t yours but happy belated birthday mate :+1:

Yeah man happy belated birthday :slight_smile:

Happy birthday old fella

Hey man, how have your knees been holding up with the Deep Water stuff? I’ve seen you post before that they can get pretty cranky with a lot of squatting. I have a similar experience, although much different knee circumstances between the two of us.

PS happy belated man!

@anon96032531 @mortdk @simo74 Thanks all!

@mr.v3lv3t It’s actually been pretty good for my knees, because I’m only squatting hard once every 2 weeks, compared to 1-2 times a week like before. Now granted, after that 10x10 squat workout, my legs are shot, by my knee in particular isn’t too terrible troubled. What will suck is I still have good and bad days with the knee, and if it times out that I’m having a bad day on my 10x10 squat day, I’m in for a world of hurt. But by set 4 or 5, it’s pretty much past the point of caring.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing man! I hear you about the good and bad days, it’s truly the worst timing when the bad days falls on squat day haha.

I need to give JA’s book and programming another look over as it’s pretty intriguing, but I think my next step after this cycle of 5/3/1 is some of Alphas programming.

1 Like