T Nation

Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Post Knee Reconstruction

These types of situations are super fun. Really a test for the creative powers.

@JMaier31 I did, haha. It’s why I ended up sticking with seated pressing. I’ve tried standing before, and it got a little too dicey.

@mr.v3lv3t Absolutely. And all I can think about is people bitching about how they can’t train because they don’t have a rack, or a barbell, or some other piece of equipment. Can’t compensate for effort and intensity, but you can for just about anything else.

Cool workouts Pwn
101 reps that’s a lot :slight_smile:

@mortdk Much thanks. It was QUITE a burnout. Seemed a little silly to be moving such little weight, but soon it became very much just a mental game of getting through it somehow. Been enjoying getting out of my comfort zone.

Your workouts seems like it’s out of everybody’s comfort zone :slight_smile:

@mortdk It’s the one thing I got going for me, haha.

PM WORKOUT

SUPERSET

Axle strict press
5xAxle
5x103
3x161
3x181
6x206
12x161

Band pull aparts
6x20

SUPERSET circuit (no rest between sets)

Dips
5x155
5x130
5x105
5x80
5x55
5x30
5xBW

NG chins
8x65
8x55
8x45
8x35
8x25
8x15
8xBW

Notes: Wanted to get in a quick one as I return from vacation. Really pleased with this. I had a 7th rep for that topset of press, but hit the supports of the rack twice with the bumper plate and it threw off my game. Not too far from my all time PR.

Woke up at 195.6. Still going to give it a few days to stabilize. Volunteered to help spot/load at a local powerlifting meet this Friday. Be good to give back.

PM WORKOUT

Buffalo Bar Squats 240
10x10

Notes: Kept the rest times super strict at sub 2 minutes. Actually broke out the timer and everything. The first 5 sets, I was feeling cocky and thought I’d need to push for max reps on set 10, the last 2 sets, I was just trying to survive. It sneaks up on you, and is a different kind of suck. Still got the exertion headache at the end, so glad that’s not changing. Squats felt awesome: deep and fast. Byproduct of lighter weight and time away I’m sure.

Woke up at 194.4.

Hey man, do you have any tips or advice from your time running God is a Beast that you could share? I’m going to give that one a run for my next program.

The mainwork seems to sort itself out well enough. I found the 10x5s lacking in challenge for the most part, so I would usually find some way to keep the weight as prescribed but still find ways to make it seem worthwhile. You can use a more difficult implement (axle on deadlifts, SSB on squats, etc), a more difficult method (pause each rep on the bench and press), or use very short rest times/giant sets to make it taxing.

Gotta just trust the process too. For 5 weeks, you’re going to feel like it’s not working, and then on week 6 you hit a PR out of nowhere.

Thanks for the tips man. I’ll keep that in mind when figuring out what to do for the workouts themselves.

@mr.v3lv3t No worries man. Be in touch. The program was a great lesson in strength under fatigue.

AM WORKOUT

GIANT SETS

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x136
5x186
3x236
3x276
8x301
16x236

DB handle rows 132
7x8

Band pull aparts
5x20

GIANT SETS

Axle incline press 173
3x9
2x8

DB handle rows 132
5x6

Lateral raises 20
5x10

Notes: Broke out the DB row handle after a long while in retirement. For reference, it looks like this

Loaded it with 2 25s and a 10 per side. Gives me a decent amount of ROM and a heavier load. Handle is a touch too thin and bothers my elbows some, may use straps in the future. Otherwise though, it was nice to get a little heavier on the DB rows again.

Benching was adequate. Incline is feeling more natural, although I think I’m jacking something up in my left shoulder. Gonna ride it out and see what happens.

Woke up at 194.8.

Fat grips might be good. Or as you said straps.

Yeah, I’m not the biggest fat gripz fan, since they tend to spin on the handle and never make a full seal. I’ve got a thick handle loadable dumbbell that I might break out of retirement, but I just hate loading so many damn plates on it, haha.

PM WORKOUT

Standing ab wheel
3x8

Texas deadlift bar touch and go deadlifts 325lbs
10x10

Notes: PM workout because I woke up at 0440 and my legs felt like they were made of lead. Thought it’d get better by the afternoon but it didn’t, so called an audible and did a dry run of what the deadlift day will be like for Deep Water. I’m 20lbs shy of the RX weight, but kept the rest periods short. For 6 sets were 2 minutes, last 4 were 2.5. My left hamstring felt like piano wire, and my right quad buckled whenever I bent my leg, so these were all pretty much straight legged, with the hardest part of each set simply reaching down to grab the bar at the start. Figured out why my right glute always hurts with deads: it’s not the eccentric or the concentric, but where I hold the weigh at the top when I rest. It’s all on my right side. Knowing that, I can work to start addressing that.

Woke up at 194.8 this morning. Usual Panda Express cheat meal yesterday. Helped spot/load at a local powerlifting meet yesterday as well. Lasted about 2 hours, decent activity.

PM WORKOUT

45 minutes of lawnwork with 45lb vest.

Woke up at 196.0

YESTERDAY ADDITIONAL PM WORKOUT

Prowler high handle/low handle circuit 50’ (no rest between rounds)
3 rounds w/115ish loaded

Notes: Rigged up the prowler with a 35lb bumper per side and then had my kid ride on it while holding the low handles. Kiddo had a blast, and it was fun to get them out training with me. Was hoping it’d help with my leg soreness too.

TODAY AM WORKOUT

GIANT SETS

Axle strict press
5xAxle
5x103
5x136
5x171
3x196
4x216
10x171

NG chins
7x10

Band pull aparts
7x20

GIANT SETS

Weighted dips 130lbs
2x8
2x7
1x6

Weighted NG chins 75
5x5

DB curls 35
5x10

Notes: Last heavy 5/3/1 press day for a while. Happy with the 4x215. Consistent numbers on at that weight, but today I just about blacked out at rep 1 and had to regain myself for the rest of the set. Good fight. Dips were difficult and good for overcoming.

Woke up at 196.2.

Generally my answer to everything when people say things are easy. If you get good at the hard stuff, the easy stuff stays easy

@oldbeancam It’s a good approach in many cases. It’s why I like training in the AM, so that I’m better in the PM. On that note…

AM WORKOUT

Buffalo Bar Squats 245
10x10

Bodyweight lunges
3x10

Notes: True 2 minutes rest between sets. Set my alarm for 1 minute 50 seconds so that, by the time I set up under the bar, I’d be at 2 minutes of actual rest. The first set is always the hardest, but after that things were smooth until about set 6, where the initial struggle began, and then sets 8-10 where it was a real ball buster. Got it done, laid down for 5 minutes, looked at the time and realized I had enough time left to do the lunges. I’m getting closer and closer to running the program in full, and once I get back from a business trip next week, I plan to run the full Deep Water program and see what it can do.

Woke up at 196.4. Stomach has been bothering me past few days.

Going to lay out my next block of training, primarily because it keeps circling around in my head and I want to get it down somewhere.

I’ll be running the Deep Water program from Jon Andersen’s book, with some very small modifications. I’m going to use an axle for all my pressing, except on incline bench, where I’ll either use a swiss bar or a 9" log depending on how my shoulders feel. I’m thinking I might use an axle for deadlifts on the 10x10 squat day, just to keep it in my rotation. I may also use a SSB on the 10x10 deadlift day for similar reasons. I am going to throw reverse hypers in on the back day in place of the ab work, just to make it an all out back day. On my squat week, my events work will be stones, so that I can get in some more back intensive training. On my deadlift week, my events work will be prowler/sled, so I can get in more leg intensive training. As the winter hits and we get snow, I’ll have to get creative.

All that said, here is how the program will break down.

WEEK 1

Monday

4 sets of pull-ups to failure

4x10 bent over rows

3x10 clean pull

4x10 reverse hyper

Tuesday

10x10 Push press (axle)

3x10 DB lateral raises

5x10 barbell curls

Sit up/back extension 3 sets of 20 each, no rest between sets

Thursday

3x10 Bench press (axle)

3x10 close grip bench press (axle)

3x10 incline bench (swiss bar or log)

3 sets of dips to failure

3 sets of push ups to failure

60 second plank with 20 sit ups, 3 rounds, no rest

Saturday

10x10 buffalo bar squats

3x10 deadlift (axle)

3x10 barbell lunges

3x20 back extension/sit up (no rest between sets

Sunday

Stone of steel

WEEK 2

Monday

4 sets of pull-ups to failure

4x10 bent over rows

3x10 clean pull

4x10 reverse hyper

Tuesday

10x10 Strict press (axle)

3x10 DB lateral raises

5x10 barbell curls

Thursday

3x10 Bench press (axle)

3x10 close grip bench press (axle)

3x10 incline bench (swiss bar or log)

3 sets of dips to failure

3 sets of push ups to failure

Saturday

10x10 texas deadlift bar touch and go deadlifts

3x10 squats (SSB or buffalo bar)

3x10 barbell lunges

3x20 sit ups

Sunday

Prowler

Weeks 3 and 4 are identical. Weeks 5 and 6 replace rows with shrugs. Difference is I’m allowed 4 minutes rest between sets on weeks 1-2, 3 minutes on week 3-4, and 2 minutes on weeks 5-6.

Gonna have to learn how to do clean pulls. They’ll look hideous, but I seriously need to start learning how to be explosive. The next phase of the program has power cleans. I might treat myself to a new barbell, just to get something without center knurling, but we’ll see.

I’m thinking of making the 3x10 deads/squats and lunges into a superset, to save time and be awful. I’ll see how viable it is. Not excited about barbell lunges in my garage, but I may just do them in place instead of walk with them.

Going to push calories with this approach and see what it does. It’s very different from anything I’ve done before, but looks like it will suit me. I’ve been prepping for the squats and deads, but haven’t run the whole thing before.

Seems pretty “bodybuilding-esque”. What is your reason for chosing this program?