Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

No problem dude; excited to share when it happens!

PM WORKOUT

Front squats
5xBar
3x95
1x135
1x185
1x225

REST PAUSE (12 deep breaths between sets)
9x275 (rep PR)
3x275
2x275
1x275
6x225
3x225
1x225
5x185
3x185
1x185

Notes: Hey why not a 2-a-day? Mrs was out for the evening so I figured I’d get this done earlier in the week. That topset was gnarly, and the bar slid so far down my arms on the concentric of the 9th rep that it was a zercher, which is cool when you try to re-rack the bar when it’s set to front squat height on the j-hooks. Thankfully my upperback is made of silly putty and the stuff they fill Stretch Armstrong with, so I was able to limbo the bar back onto the hooks while only blowing out all the blood vessels in my face. After that, I decided to take the next set a little chill and make up for it with volume on the back end.

I have come up with a devlish idea when this training cycle is over; front squats in the rack superset with SSB squats out of the yoke. Give me a chance to work both movements.

4 Likes

You’re still crazy… strong work Pwn
I can imagine how racking the bar from a zercher position would have made it it’s own strongman exercise :slight_smile:

Hey man, did you happen to get a copy of ‘The Complete Sandbag Training Course’ by Brian Jones when you grabbed your Ironmind bag?

The difference is only $10, so probably worth it either way, but just curious if you had it and thought it was a decent read.

Ya know I DID get a copy and it’s somewhere in my library completely unread. Looked cool, but just didn’t interest me.

@mortdk It was more a circus act than a strongman exercise, haha, but maybe that’s going back to the roots of strongman.

Haha fair enough. I’ll probably go ahead and order the package with the book and see if there’s any valuable info in there.

1 Like

AM WORKOUT

GIANT SET

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x136
5x186
5x226
5x261
11x296
20x226

250+lb sandbag bearhug and carry
7 rounds

Band pull aparts
7x20

SUPERSET

Axle strict press/push press 186
1x3/3
3x3/2

DB lateral raise 20
4x15

Kroc rows 105
1x21

Notes: Slightly different approach today. The strict press/push press set is a decent compromise of keeping my strict press strength up but still training the push press. Axle is always easier than log for push pressing, but I figure this will help me “remember” how to push press better. Having the sandbag during the benching was rough at first, but I fell back into good habits.

Woke up at 199.4.

1 Like

What’s the heaviest you’ve ever been? I don’t think I’ve seen a lot of >200lb weigh-ins in your log.

I got up to 217lbs when I was 22. Was trying for 220 but never made it. Was VERY fat, haha.

AM WORKOUT

(6) Texas Deadlift Bar Mat Pulls
5x135+chains
5x225+chains
3x315+chains
1x405+chains

DROPSET w/restpause
9+4+4x515+chains
7+3x425+chains

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Car deadlift simulator
2x7x6 plates and a quarter

DROPSET
7x6 plates and a quarter
5x6 plates
5x5 plates

Dips REST PAUSE (12 deep breaths between sets)
1x60
1x30
1x15
1x10
1x9
1x8
1x7
1x6
1x5
1x15

Notes: All over the place today. Still feeling fatigued on the hips and glutes for deads, but I know now that I’m good if I show up fresh. Just gotta get out of my own head with the reps. Rookie mistake and had the knee sleeves on for the first part of the topset, which impacted rep total since it kept snagging. Dropped them down for the rest and things moved smoothly.

Car deadlift was a pleasant surprise. Really moving along on it.

Was feeling beat up for pressing, so went bodyweight with dips. Original plan was to keep hitting half ala Xeno squats, but after 15 things got too easy. I was recovering too much between rounds, so once I dropped it to 5 I went for another topset and called it before I ended up there all day. Totaled out to 175 dips in like 6 minutes.

Woke up at 198.8. Weight is easy to manage at this point.

5 Likes

PM WORKOUT

Throwing a 45lb kettlebell over a 16-18’ tall crossbar a bunch of times

1 success
Several times hitting the crossbar
Some misses

Notes: Wife ran a half marathon today, so I got up at 0400 to help get to the starting line, then we drove a little over 3 hours to get home today, so I figured now would be a good day to figure out how to throw.

Key takeaways I had was to bend my knees more and actually try to use my legs rather than speed deadlifting the weight off the floor, and to stand closer to the bar than I liked. Late release is also key. That one success was cool, but also why I hate these sort of events. I hit it after failing a bunch of times, and couldn’t replicate it. It means the strength is there, it’s just the technique holding me back, so why the hell do we care as “STRONGman competitors?” But I also get the highland games appeal of it all, because it felt cool to get the weight over the bar when I did manage. Not my sport, but I understand why people dig it.

3 Likes

I will log my training in a bit, but I thought it was cool that my sweat angel looks like a Punisher skull with horns.

5 Likes

AM WORKOUT

Buffalo bar squats 275
4x13
4x12

Notes: 100 reps in 8 sets. 3 minutes of rest between the first 6 sets, 4 minutes on the last 2. This actually sucked less compared to the PM workout I did the week prior, at least as far as lower back pumps are concerned. All in all, this approach has been very successful. This is my last week of training before the competition, and then I’ll have 3 weeks of training before a cruise. If they ever announce the events for Nationals, I may start training for that. If not, I might jump full tilt into Deep Water once I’m settled in again.

Woke up at 200.2. Post road trip weight. Will take a few days to stabilize.

4 Likes

AM WORKOUT

GIANT SETS

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x136
5x186
3x241
3x281
6x316
15x241

250+lb sandbag bear hug and carry
7 rounds

Band pull aparts
7x20

SUPERSETS

Axle push press 206
1x3
1x4
1x5
1x4

DB lateral raises 20lbs
4x17

Kroc rows 105
1x22

Notes: Definitely feeling the lack of deload from 2 weeks ago. Left elbow is pissed off, and the sandbag was rough. This is the last heavy workout though, and I’ll have a week to recover. Noting that I’ve switched back to the Pendlay Do-wins from the Adidas Powerlifters. The Do-wins are just more stable. They have a second strap across the foot and less padding. I’ll keep the Powerlifts as a fallback shoe at this point.

Push presses went well. I’m remembering how to do it. Left knee still doesn’t like it, but big part of it is just doing it first thing in the morning before I’ve had a chance to limber up. With a late afternoon show, I’m not too worried.

Woke up at 200.4. Still trying to stabilize weight.

1 Like

AM WORKOUT

Log clean and push press away
5xLog
3x170
3x200
6x225
5x225

EMOM log clean and push press away w/200lbs for triples
5 minutes

Band pull aparts
5x20

Front Squats Rest Pause (12 deep breaths between sets)
11x225
5x225
3x225
2x225
1x225
10x135

Notes: Home stretch, wanted to focus on skill and keep things a little lighter. In the past, when I could hit 6 in the AM for log, it meant I was good for 10 in the PM, so we’ll see how that pans out. My leg drive still sucks, but it’ll be good enough, and we may be using a 10" log vs a 12" log for the comp, which makes things easier. Front squats I was pretty gassed by the time I got there, so just went for pain.

Left elbow/bicep tendon is really pissed off. Think a week off will be good for it.

Woke up at 196.4. Feel like I’ve lost some of the road trip water weight.

3 Likes

AM WORKOUT

(5) Texas Deadlift Bar Mat Pulls
5x135+chains
5x225+chains
3x315+chains
1x405+chains

DROPSET/RESTPAUSE

9+4+3x515+chains
9+4+1x425+chains

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Car deadlift simulator
8x6 plates and a quarter
8x6 plates and a quarter

DROPSET
5x6 plates and a quarter
5x6 plates
5x5 plates

Dips REST PAUSE
1x65
1x25
1x15
1x10
1x5

Notes: Pinched a nerve in my right shoulder blade after the 3rd rep of the final set of 515 on the deadlifts. Recurring injury, nothing too significant, but capped the set there despite having another rep in me. Right hip/glute was pretty mad at rep 9 of the first set anyway, so it was a good day to take things a little light, especially with this being the final heavy workout before the comp.

Got through everything else. Just had to focus on bracing hard and being creative. Car deadlift is feeling strong.

Woke up at 196.6. Had my cheat meal yesterday at Panda express. Balancing act. I tend to lose weight on vacation, but I don’t want to intentionally overeat to balance that in case it turns out to not happen this time. Just going to check the scale as much as I can.

2 Likes

Love you man, Please don’t call it light :slight_smile:

@mortdk Hah! Light in this case meaning more “not hard” rather than “not heavy”. Weight still sucks, but I’m not pushing into the red like I normally do.

PM WORKOUT

45lb kettelbell over 16-18’ bar
2 successful throws
Many hitting the crossbar
A few total misses

Notes: Better than last time. I managed 2 in a row for getting over the crossbar. Along with bending the knees, seems I really need to focus on the last “UMPH” before release. No joke, throwing in a grunt seemed to help. Legit wonder if it’s the karate “kiai” thing coming into play. I’ll take it however it works.

4 Likes

16-18’ is pretty high. Those are some good tosses.

I am mosy likely vastly overestimating it, haha. I have no eye for distance.

Weighed in last night at 199.0 in clothes with phone, keys and wallet in pocket. Been able to enjoy myself on vacation. Week off has me feeling fresh. Competing in 5 hours. Will update when I am done.

3 Likes