Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

Yeah you are the crazy dude around here, really great stuff going on here (and very very crazy)

1 Like

@mortdk Much appreciated dude!

AM WORKOUT

(4) Texas deadlift bar touch and go mat pulls
5x135+chains
5x225+chains
3x315+chains
1x405+chains

DROPSET w/rest pause
7+3+3x505+chains
6+3+3x415+chains

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Car deadlift simulator
8x6plates
7x6plates

DROPSET
6x6plates
5x6plates
4x6plates

Dips
3x32

Notes: Playing around some more. Someone asked me the other day ā€œHey, if your dropset/rest pause works so well for squats, why donā€™t you do it for deadlifts?ā€ And since deads have been pretty bad, I figured why not? Itā€™s another version of awful for sure. My glute/hip is still in a bad way. Iā€™ve taken a week to let it heal on itā€™s own, so now itā€™s time to do some rehab. Iā€™ve been through this before, so it should go well.

Car deadlift keeps getting better, so I canā€™t get too upset. I keep hitting it under worse fatigue and it keeps growing. Also, I switched back to iron plates on the deadlift and it feels slightly better, so Iā€™m just gonna ride that out.

Woke up at 197.4, but had some real bad GI issues in the morning before training. Lots of bloating through the night as well. Have a Fatherā€™s day breakfast buffet scheduled for tomorrow, so itā€™ll be a good weekend for weight gain.

2 Likes

PM WORKOUT

Stone of steel over bar (20)
3xStone
3x+50
3x+75
2x+100 (rep PR)
9x+50

Notes: Came into this workout feeling like I was going to puke. Most likely the result of the approximately 3lbs of bacon I had at breakfast that morning for Fatherā€™s Day. The first 2 rounds were basically me hitting the reps and then feeling sorry for myself, but after that it seemed like I had sweat out the grease and was ready to play. Got smarter about loading the stone, and instead of going 2 25s, then 2 35s and then 2 45s, realized I could just keep slapping 25s in there. Technique was feeling strong and Iā€™m still learning stuff. Did a better job of really squatting down to the stone to start the rep, and my lapping felt more natural and secure.

Woke up at 197.2. Bought a weightgainer while I was out, since I had a good discount on it. Figured itā€™d help make morning workouts faster, as I plan to just slam it and go. Out of respect for biotest, I wonā€™t say which companyā€™s product, but they used to sponsor Kroc. Seemed one of the few massgainers on the market that wasnā€™t just maltodextrin and protein powder.

2 Likes

AM WORKOUT

GIANT SETS

Log viper and press away
5xLog
5x145
5x170
11x195
1x265(strict, lifetime PR)
15x150

Reverse hypers 230
6x14

Band pull aparts
6x20

GIANT SETS

Log clean and push press 225
4x3

Reverse hyper 230
4x14

Hammer curls 45
4x10

Notes: I took some video of the 265 set that Iā€™ll upload later, but it was a total beast of an effort. Definite ā€œstanding bench pressā€ moment, where the weight and shape of the log definitely overtook my body and I was just holding on. Pressing it, it wanted to go everywhere but up, and ended up traveling in front, behind, and to the side before eventually moving all the way up. I was afraid of either dumping the log or dislocating my shoulder at one point. All of this just makes the victory sweeter though. This is the weight Iā€™ll use in competition, and if I can hit it for a strict press first thing in the morning under significant fatigue, I feel confident for the day of, to say nothing of if I end up in the lower weight class.

The clean for that set wasnā€™t awful either. Theyā€™re still not great, but theyā€™re getting better.

Thought I went for a 5lb increase on the push presses, but turns out it was 15. Hit triples as well as I can. Leg drive still rough, but Iā€™ll take it.

Woke up at 198.2. Iā€™ll see how much of that I keep through the week, but things keep trending up.

Mrs. gave me a massage last night for Fatherā€™s day and remarked that my back had ā€œmore musclesā€ than she remembered being there since the last time she gave me a massage. I think thatā€™s a good sign for this hypertrophy phase.

11 Likes

Wow, very nice!

1 Like

That is awesome

BUT then:

This is crazy mate.
Well done.

@littlesleeper Thanks dude!

@mortdk Thanks man! Being able to hit that second set after the first one is a huge victory.

On that note, here is the video

I am amazed at the weird angles my back can take, haha.

8 Likes

That was a rugged press man.

2 Likes

This was crazy! Congrats on that huge PR

Jeez man, thatā€™s impressive. Congrats!

@mr.v3lv3t No kidding man. I may just start linking that when people ask ā€œwhat do you mean about strength vs techniqueā€, haha.

@Koestrizer and @danteism thanks to both of you. Much appreciated.

5 Likes

AM WORKOUT

SUPERSETS

Buffalo Bar Squats 260
10x10

Set 1: Dips 1x34
Set 2: Band pull aparts 1x20
Set 3: Log clean 1x1x200lbs
rotate

Notes: I seem to have adjusted to this stimulus. Not nearly as awful as it was the past few times. Part of that is switching to a lighter/more dynamic approach to the cleans I imagine, but part of it is just getting more accustomed to the workload and degree of suck. Still sticking with sub 2 minute rest periods. Iā€™m getting closer and closer to RX weight with the lowest rest periods, which will mean moving on to fewer sets for the same rep total soon.

Woke up at 197.8. Am already getting fed up with how much I have to eat. Re-living my ā€œBuilding the Monolithā€ experience.

5 Likes

Nice man!!!

Thanks duke!

AM WORKOUT

GIANT SETS

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x136
5x185
5x226
5x256
11x291
19x226

GB lat pulldown 90
2x20
2x18
2x16
1x20

Band pull aparts
7x20

GIANT SETS

Axle strict press 136
5x8

250+lb sandbag bearhug and carry
5 rounds

DB lateral raise 25
5x12

Notes: This actually happened yesterday, but been without computer access for 24 hours. The bench was decent, but real victory was the sandbag. Far less drama getting set-up: just ducked down, swept it up and went. Bodes well for a more solid object. Strict press continues to improve at a gradual rate.

Woke up at 197.0 that morning. No weigh in today. Got some new weightlifting shoes (Adidas Powerlift 3.1s) that Iā€™ll try out for some front squatting tomorrow.

5 Likes

I have the older version, been using an for 3+ years and they are still holding up very well. Good shoes.

@theonecamko I tried them out today. I can only compare them to a 5 year old pair of Pendlay Do-wins. The Adidas are definitely more comfortable. More padding around the heel. However, they also seem wider, which I imagine the majority of the lifting world appreciates, since it seems everyone has feet like a loaf of bread, but I have very narrow long feet, which meant I felt like I was swimming in them. Thinking a break-in period will help, but they definitely werenā€™t bad shoes, especially for $45. Iā€™ll have to decide which I end up favoring.

on that note

LATE AM WORKOUT

Front squats
5xBar
3x95
1x135
1x185
1x225

RESTPAUSE (12 deep breaths between sets)
6x275
3x275
2x275
1x275
5x225
4x225
3x225
2x225
1x225

Notes: Had a helluva time keeping the bar in the rack position. Slid down my arms at the end of every set, but still got through and felt pretty strong all things considered.

Woke up at 197.0. Still very pleased with rate of weight growth, and by all accounts Iā€™m getting less fat than usual.

3 Likes

This is one of the reasons I love em haha, I busted open all of my chucks from a combination of my wide feet and lifting. If you end up not wanting them Ill be happy to take em off your hands for $5 and some lifting advice on the house.

Why did you stop using your harness for front squats? Didnā€™t you start using it in the first place because your front rack was giving you problems?

@theonecamko My advice would be ā€œdonā€™t wear used shoesā€, haha.

@Koestrizer Iā€™m pretty unimpressed with the harness. I think itā€™s viable for very VERY low rep sets, but with high reps the harness has a tendency to come forward off the shoulders and leave considerable space between my torso and the harness. I actually have a permanent scar my abdomen now from the bolt of the harness digging into my body over multiple reps. Ultimately, the ends need to be bent downward to better secure onto the shoulders. However, Iā€™m also front squatting in this manner to work on my ability to maintain my posture under heavy load, which the harness allowed me to cheat. By having the bar actually racked, itā€™s up to me to maintain posture.

2 Likes