Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

Sewage really has a way of mucking up the joint.

1 Like

PM WORKOUT

FITNESS TEST

Height: 69"
Weight: 196lbs
Waist Measurement: 32"
1 minute push-ups: 57 (max score, got it done in 30 seconds)
1 minute sit-ups: 54 (max score, got it done in 45 seconds)
1.5 mile run: 10:50

Notes: I have NO idea where the hell that run came from. Thatā€™s the best time Iā€™ve had in about 11 years. That weighted vest paid off in spades. I ran the first lap in 1:32 and the mile in 7:05, and never really felt like I was in a all that much agony. Despite training slow, I trained to endure, and it worked out well.

Also, video of the PR press I set this morning

Allow me to pat myself on the back briefly, because for once I feel like Iā€™m firing on all cylinders. Yes, my static strength has taken a very slight plunge, but itā€™s already looking to come back well, and events and athleticism are feeling awesome. Think I got something good coming my way these next few months.

11 Likes

Nice work man!

1 Like

@mr.v3lv3t Thanks dude! Still reeling from the experience.

AM WORKOUT

SUPERSETS

Buffalo bar squat 240lbs
10x10

ODD SETS
Dips
5x29

EVEN SETS
Log cleans 210lbs
5x3

Band pull aparts
1x50

Notes: Finally dove in to the 10x10. Used some 5/3/1 principles, specifically operating off a training max rather than a true max to find my percentage here. Started with 500 as a conservative 1rm, took 90% for 450, then .77 to get a 10rm and 70% of that for worksets ala the Deep Water book. This was just about right. It sucked, but wasnā€™t impossible. Plan moving forward is to slowly work that weight up to what it would be if using a true max and then go from there. The supersets were the right recipe for this. Still got in a good amount of work, but was able to recover enough between sets for the next set of squats. Might throw band pull aparts in to make it a giant set that isnā€™t terribly taxing, but weā€™ll see. Excited to see where this takes me.

Woke up at 193.8.

4 Likes

Well done mate :slight_smile:

both the fitness test and the press.
Picking up the log looked harder than the press :slight_smile:

Thanks man. It totally was. Recurring trend with me. Clean tends to be harder than the press. But thankfully I was smart enough to train the clean in this training cycle, haha.

1 Like

MURPH HERO WOD

1 mile run
100 pull ups
200 push ups
300 squats
1 mile run

All with 21lb vest

Time-1 hour 6 minutes

Notes: Last year I did this without a vest, since I didnā€™t have one. Made a point of getting on this year. Ran this RX, so the run, then all the pull ups, all the push ups, all the squats, and the mile run. I know you can break it up, but since this is a memorial WOD celebrating a hero, I figured it was worth doing it the most painful way possible.
Same reason I went ā€œhigh school football practiceā€ mode and drank no water during.

Did this while visiting my in-laws in Denver, so elevation was a slight factor, although in truth the whole thing sucks so much itā€™s hard to say what in particular is the issue. I actually felt better this year than last year; think I was better conditioned for it. Ran the first mile in 8:36, took around 13 minutes to do the pull ups, started the squats around the 34 minute mark, and started the run around 54 minutes.

Started off the pull-ups with sets of 10 until I got to 50, then sets of 5. Did 12 deep breaths between sets. Push ups was a set of 25, then a set of 20, then lots of 10s, 9s and 8s. Squats was 2 sets of 30 and a set of 40 to get 100s. 12 deep breaths between sets again.

Run was on a bit of a trail. Sharp elevations and downhills.

Really proud of my Wife; on a whim, she decided to join me. She did the run, push ups from her knees and all the squats. We got to suffer together.

Just as an aside, Iā€™ve been doing 1 set of 100+ push ups and 100 band pull aparts a day prior to this, and am planning on continuing it. Itā€™s a deload, but this has been good for getting blood flowing through my body. Iā€™m making a point to not exert myself on the push-ups, so Iā€™ll go until I feel like I need to grind out a rep and then Iā€™ll stop. Staying away from lockout and just keeping tension in the muscles. I really want to get some solid hypertrophy for this training block, and Iā€™m thinking spamming volume will be the solution. Now that all my running obligations are gone, I can let the bodyweight rise a little.

13 Likes

You are an absolute animal. It would take me an hour to do 1 of those activities with a 21lb vest on. It really does amaze me how you push yourself. Itā€™s a shame you donā€™t put your powers to good use by being a fireman / military / international ninja assassin.

1 Like

Letā€™s say hypothetically, if I moved to where you live, would you let me be your training partner?

(I can still cancel the plane tickets if you refuse)

No but really, thatā€™s some good stuff right there

2 Likes

Awesome workout man :slight_smile:
This log amazes me constantly.
And know you put your wife in, doing almost the same shit just as awesome as you.

1 Like

@Irishman92 Thanks dude! That really means a lot. Iā€™m unfortunately way too clumsy to be a ninja, but as a child of the 80s, I HAVE owned several pairs of nunchuks and ninja stars, haha.

@danteism Thanks man. Iā€™m an awful training partner though, haha. Too weird of a schedule to be consistent.

@mortdk Much appreciated dude. Itā€™s been great having you follow along. And I was blown away when she just up and decided to join me. She wasnā€™t able to do the pull-ups, and I didnā€™t think to bring a band with me on the trip, but she still gutted out all the push ups and the squats with zero training leading up to the event. Just nuts, haha. Must be why we get along.

6 Likes

Wow this is next level conditioning and hardship. Very inspiring!
Also harsh contrast to the prejudice that strongman are fat and unconditioned to move for more than 3 minutes, which I find true often times.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always been under the impression that prejudice followed powerlifters moreso than strongmen/women.

1 Like

@Koestrizer Thanks man! As much as I enjoy strongman, I also enjoy being able to do stuff like this. I was honestly looking into crossfit before getting into strongman, as I felt it was a better fit for me, but the high skill level gymnastics type stuff seemed too risky with my buggy shoulder. And then, of course, I blew out my knee in strongman, so nothing is safe, haha.

@mr.v3lv3t Those in the ā€œknowā€ with strength sports probably get that, but to the public weā€™re all just fat guys lifting weights, haha. Iā€™ll still have co-workers talk to me about ā€œThat crazy strongman stuff on ESPN with the big stonesā€ and Iā€™ll say ā€œYou know thatā€™s the sport I compete in, right?ā€ Just different expectations.

4 Likes

AM WORKOUT

GIANT SETS

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x136
5x186
5x226
5x256
12x286
18x226

T-bar rows
12x1 plate
12x2 plates
12x3 plates
12x4 plates
10x5 plates
6x6 plates
13x4 plates

Band pull aparts
7x20

GIANT SETS

Axle strict press 128lbs
5x8

250+lb sandbag bearhug and carry
5 rounds

Lateral raises 15lbs
5x15lbs

Notes: Back from break and was ready to get back into it. I woke up at 189.4. Pretty standard for me to drop some weight on vacation, but Iā€™m hoping some of that is just dehydration. Iā€™m going to try to not eat like an a-hole to put weight back on, but Iā€™m going to make more of an effort to up my eating leading up to this contest.

Benching wasnā€™t great, but I expected that with the bodyweight. Press and carry are strong, and thatā€™s more what matters at this point. Cricked my neck a little on one set, but nothing out of the ordinary. Caught some sort of annoying cold on vacation too, so breathing sucked a little.

1 Like

Your work capacity is always astounding to me, even after following along for nearly 18 months at this point, ha.

Jaw droppingā€¦

After following your log for the past 2 years. Iā€™ve come to 3 conclusions.

1. You never get tired. Your work capacity is just ridiculous.
  2. If you were to have a coach (Like Thibs, Dan John, Paul Carter, etc) train you, youā€™d probably morph into a strength mutant.
  3. Itā€™s only a matter of time before a lift or workout gets named after you. There is already the Pendlay Row, The Kroc Row, the Z press. Time for the Punisher split or the Punisher deadlift. I have no idea what these would be, but my body is already sore thinking about it lol.
1 Like

@Despade I appreciate it dude, although in truth, I donā€™t think anything Iā€™m doing is all that special, especially after watching Alphaā€™s training videos. Been good having you follow along.

@losthog Thanks man. With the t-bar, itā€™s not all that much. 6 plates is like 270lbs, and then itā€™s not the full weight because itā€™s the barbell set-up in the landmine. Iā€™m trying to keep form consistent and really hammer my back for some growth, but 6 plates is when the slop came in.

@isdatnutty Been good having you along for those 2 years. For point 1, Iā€™ll say I DO get tired, haha. Iā€™m good at pushing though, but if you watch the Building the Monolith videos or my 20k deadlift challenge youā€™ll see plenty of footage of me with hands on the knees/leaning against equipment and gasping. Iā€™ve spent a lot of time developing my ability to perform while under fatigue, but once the performance window is open, I need my rest lie anyone else. Coaching would be interesting. I think my natural lack of athleticism would make it frustrating for all involved, haha. Takes me a while to pick things up.

For point 3, my technique on everything tends to look so ugly that I canā€™t imagine a whole lot of folks looking to emulate my approach. Iā€™m ā€œknownā€ for my mutant safety squat bar squat, but most folks arenā€™t lining up to try it. Otherwise, I had a couple of dropset/rest pause squat workouts that some folks tried out and found incredibly miserable, but it was more a programming approach vs a specific movement.

When I read this,

this came to mind even before I read it. :smiley:

3 Likes