Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

Congrats Pwn, that’s well deserved after all the hard work you put in.

@mortdk That is typically my approach in the off season. With nationals being a possibility now, I’ll have less off season time than usual, but I tend to budget the month of May ever year for this very reason. There is always a competition in April, and I spend the downtime getting into running shape once Murph comes around.

@littlesleeper Thanks man!

Skipped the AM workout this morning, but dropped 5lbs overnight and woke up at 194.4. Kinda interesting how the scale works sometimes.

PM WORKOUT

4x400m run

Notes: Goal was to run these as fast as possible. First lap was like 1:21, third was 1:36, got the final down to 1:28. Just a little variety to mix in and keep things fresh.

3 Likes

4x400 is awesome and a very decent pace too, great job man.

@mortdk Thanks man. I’ve moved quicker before, but with the fatigue I’ll take it.

AM WORKOUT

GIANT SETS

Log viper and press away
5xLog
3x165
3x190
7x215
3x245 (major PR)
13x165

NG chins 40lbs
5x10

Band pull aparts
5x20

GIANT SETS

Log clean and push press 190
5x5

Reverse hyper 230
4x13

Hammer curls 40
4x10

Notes: I am so incredibly pleased with that 3x245. For one, the clean was one of the smoothest I’ve had so far. Past 2 attempts I’d get it about halfway up and then have to fight and strain to move it, which took out a lot of energy. This time it rolled right to the top. Time spent training the clean is paying off. From there, the presses were VERY stable, to the point that I had the ability to grind out that third press since I had a stable enough base. Things are looking pretty positive. Kinked my neck slightly on the eccentric of the first set of 5x5, but I’m willing to take that.

Ran out of time toward the end. Need to get a little more creative on maximizing time between sets.

Woke up at 195.0.

6 Likes

Nice work man! That’s a good feeling.

Thanks man! Hitting it in the AM, after an AMRAP set, while losing weight, and all the other dumb excuses I can come up with is really giving me some confidence for July.

3 Likes

Awesome to see f**king strong people like you do such massive PR’s, really enjoying your log man.

@mortdk Appreciate having you as a reader man. One of the things I’ve enjoyed about strongman is that I still have a lot of PRs in me. So many different implements to train.

AM WORKOUT

GIANT SETS

(9) Chain suspended Buffalo bar squats
5xBar
5x140
5x190
5x230
3x280
1x330
1x380
1x410
0x460
3x410

Keg bearhug and carry
1x182
1x206
1x211
1x216
1x221
1x227

Dips
6x26

ASSISTANCE

Neck harness 45
3x40

Band pull aparts
3x20

Buffalo bar squats 230
1x20

Notes: Just absolutely hammered today. I imagine part of it is working now 10 days in a row without a break, followed by training and weight loss. Was having difficultly getting set up in the squat at this angle, and my final workup set of 410 was a monster. I was able to break 460 off the chains, but that was about it. This tends to happen with this training approach, so I need to get a little smarter about it now. On the plus size, the keg carries keep getting better and better. Soon I’ll have to move on to the sandbag.

Woke up at 193.8.

5 Likes

Hey man, got another question for you: does it bother you at all to compete against guys that use performance enhancing drugs while you don’t use them? Do you just not care or is there a voice in the back of your head whispering “what if… Sure, but he is on drugs” or whatever?

I mean you are highly competitive and successfull. I understand your reasons for staying natural but I still wonder if this goes to your head from time to time.

1 Like

Hey man,

Good question. In truth, people being on steroids doesn’t bother me, and it’s primarily because I’M not doing everything I can do to be the best strongman I could be. I enjoy competing in strongman, but I don’t have any interest in being the best strongman ever. I want to be the strongest man I can be, sure, but how I view being strong doesn’t 100% gel with being the best strongman I could be.

Right now, the top 4 things I need to do if I want to be a great strongman (in order) would be

1: Get a coach
2: Cut to 175
3: Get more strongman gear
4: Take steroids

My technique is still garbage for the most part, and a coach could help fix that, and get me better programming. My frame is too slight to be a serious contender at 200lbs, and my “real” weight class is 175; I just need to cut the necessary water to compete there. Grip shirt, sleeves and gloves are pretty standard now, and competing without them puts me at a disadvantage. And, of course, steroids are a thing. But if I’m not going to do those first 3 things, I’m not going to sweat someone that is doing that 4th thing, because I already put myself behind the 8 ball at the start.

And I’m fine with that. I said it many times before; I want to be strong, not good. I
don’t want to get 300lbs over my head because I figured out the perfect leg drive; I want to grind it out overhead with an ugly strict press. I want to man-handle implements and still make them work. I’ll lose a lot that way, but it makes it even cooler when I do win. People seem to like me at shows because of how ugly and brutal everything I do is. They’re constantly baffled at how I managed to get reps based off the awful angles I end up at, and I take some pride in that, haha.

15 Likes

Good answer!

I kind of wondered about this as I find myself in a somewhat relatable to my situation. Most of the guys that are ahead of me and compete where I want to compete are significantly bigger than me (keep in mind that we don’t really have weight classes). Not everyone of course but the bulk of them seems to be heavier. I am not a small man but everyone at my height seems to outweigh me. However I don’t want to be that fat even if it would make me (maybe) more competitive. I don’t even have a great physique at my current weight and I think it would put a stress on my relationship to say fuck it I am getting super big for my hobby.

2 Likes

This is all that matters in life really

5 Likes

This might be the first time I’ve seen a 0 pop in your log since I’ve been following, good to know you are human after all haha.

2 Likes

@Koestrizer It’s good to have that sort of awareness. You have to know what you are and are not willing to do, and be at peace that other people are going to be willing to do things you aren’t. Much like how I have a hardline of “I’m not going to break the law to get stronger”, those that cross that threshold are still going to have their own limits like “I’m only going to run X drugs” or “I’m only going to run X dosages”, and others will cross that one. It’s all a risk reward, and you just have to be at peace with what it breaks down to.

@oldbeancam I try to live by the mantra of, if you can’t be good, you can at least be exciting to watch, haha. My time in MMA and wrestling inspired that.

@mr.v3lv3t They pop up on occasion on the log. It’s less about being inhuman and more about just smart(ish) programming. I typically try to not be training beyond my abilities, but occasionally something will pop up and a bad day will happen. For chain suspended squats, it happens more often than I’d like. Angle change in the technique really starts playing a factor as the weights get heavy.

AM WORKOUT

5k run

26:05

Notes: Ran with the Mrs at her pace for a race. Gave me time to get used to running for longer periods and the associated misery with it. Not a bad workout in all.

Woke up at 193.6. Starting to think I’ve about reached my limit on acceptable weight loss without dipping into some muscle wasting. On the plus side, this means I’ve gained a little muscle since the last time I tried to cut some weight, as I was able to hang around 190 about 3 years ago without as much difficulty.

4 Likes

AM WORKOUT

GIANT SETS

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x136
5x186
3x231
3x266
10x301
18x231

Pull ups
5x15

Band Pull aparts
5x20

GIANT SETS

Axle strict press 123
2x10
2x9
1x8

Log cleans 190
5x3

Lateral raise 20lbs
5x10

DB curls 35
3x10

Band pull aparts
3x20

Notes: Really wanted to see 12 on that 300lb bench, but just wasn’t in the cards. Bodyweight tends to play a big factor on bench success for me, and minor changes have major impacts. The back off set was solid. Log cleans are really getting in a good way. Moving much faster and crisper. Noticed that I’m driving the log up primarily with my right leg, most likely a result of differing degrees of hyperextension per knee. Strict press continues to improve.

Woke up at 193.2. Going to try to get in a few big meals today.

2 Likes

AM WORKOUT

(2) Texas deadlift bar touch and go mat pulls
5x135+chains
5x225+chins
3x315+chains
1x405+chains
6+2+2x535+chains
13x455+chains

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Front squat
5xBar
3x95
3x135
1x185
1x225

REST PAUSE (12 deep breaths between reps)
8x275
3x275
3x275
1x275
10x185
6x185

Kelso shrugs dropset
25x50lbs
15x25

Notes: Just riding this out. I think I’ll reset the weight next cycle while upping the calories and see what kidna damage I can do. That front squat keeps getting better. The topset flew right by. After that, had issues keeping the bar in place, but minor consequence.

Woke up at 195.4. post cheat meal. Fried rice and 2.5 entrees. Stomach is shrinking.

3 Likes

AM WORKOUT

GIANT SETS

Log viper and press away
5xLog
5x180
3x200
6x225
1x245
11x180

NG chins w/50lbs
5x10

Band pull aparts
5x20

GIANT SETS

Log clean and push press 200
4x5

Hammer curls 45
4x8

Reverse hyper 230
4x15

Notes: Had to work today, so got up early to get this workout in. Very soon after deads, and I could tell, because my back was fried and those log cleans were sloppy. The 6x225 was a great effort, but it took out everything I had for 245. Happy with that single, because it was done under extreme fatigue. I’m going to lower the TM for next cycle and really push hard on those joker sets.

Push press keeps getting stronger. Technique is still garbage, but strength is good.

Woke up at 195.8.

5 Likes

Probably sums up your overall training!

1 Like

@mattjp Pretty much my way through life, haha.

PM WORKOUT

Hill repeats
4 rounds

Notes: Did this off 3 hours of sleep. Office wanted to get in a little outdoor physical training and I tagged along. These weren’t sprints, but hard runs. Somewhere around 200-300 meters up to the top of the hill, and then a jog back before starting it all over. I took a little pride in taking lead in the pack after the 2nd round, beating out a couple of 20 something dudes. Always take a little pride in that. Didn’t bust my ass as hard as I wanted, but didn’t really know how to pace myself for this one. Might do it on my own sometime and see what I can really do.

On the training related front, been re-reading the Deep Water training book and watching the videos. Thinking I’m going to at least steal the squat training on it for my next training block. Should help with building some mass and strength.

No weigh in this morning.

1 Like