Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

Suicide keg death medley
Run 182lb keg 50’
Run back to start
Run back to keg
Repeat for a total of 9 keg runs without stopping

Notes: I love how stupid the name is for this one was. Less than a week out, wanted to hit some lighter weight stuff. Went without the weight vest, went for speed on the first 3, and then just kept going until I was done. It sucked differently than before.

Woke up at 198.4. Going to hit a normal press and squat workout, then spend a day with the circus dumbbell and call it good.

4 Likes

I wanna be you when I get young again. Ha.

Man, I don’t even wanna be me now, haha. But I appreciate that.

AM WORKOUT

GIANT SETS

Log viper and press away
5xLog
5x150
5x175
15x195
4x235
15x150

FG NG chins
5x10

Band pull aparts
5x20

SUPER SETS

Axle continental and press away 150
1x10
1x8
1x6
1x4
1x2

Axle rows 150
1x10
1x11
1x12
1x13
1x14

Notes: Great motivating workout for my last heavy press day before the competition. Log is just coming along so solid. That set of 235 was a lot of brute strength, because I lost it forward and back a bunch at the top. Makes me thing I’ll need to spend some time working on stability for the future, but great to know the strength is there for the chaos factor. My gameplan for the axle failed, but I had an audible. Going FSL BBB isn’t going to work with how fatigued I’ll be, so I’m going to go traditional BBB with 50% TM for the future. I have more room to play on this day too, but didn’t want to get too stupid with volume this close to game day.

Woke up at 199.2. Heavier than I wanted on this week, but I’ll still have no issues making weight.

4 Likes

Best of luck for the competition!

1 Like

x2 here brother! Also, wanted to stop in and say I thouroughly enjoyed your “HOW MUCH YA BENCH” article. Way too many people giving advice, and not nearly enough listening, learning, or experiencing their own ideas.

2 Likes

@Koestrizer Thanks man! Much appreciated.

@oldbeancam Thanks dude! That blog piece was inspired from an interaction I had online, which is why I still spend time on forums, haha. It was away from here, but some dude decided to explain to me why I didn’t know anything about training the press and gave me a quick physics lesson. When I thanked him and then asked how much he pressed, he systematically went through and deleted all of his posts in the topic. I went on to find out he was an engineering student, and that I had been lifting weights about as long as he had been drawing breath, haha.

AM WORKOUT

(13) Chain suspended buffalo bar squats
5xBar
5x140
5x190
5x230
3x280
1x330
1x370
1x410
10x460

Circus Dumbbell clean and press away
2x85
2x105
2x115
1x120
3x1x125

Band pull aparts
A lot x 20

Buffalo bar squat 240
1x10

Notes: Just the kinda workout I needed before gameday. Everything is knocked back together and feeling strong. I flubbed my first attempt at 125 on the circus dumbbell, then hit 2 grinders and finished with the fastest and smoothest rep of the cycle. Great way to end it. I’m feeling confident on not zeroing the implement, and since I’m going last for the competition, I can play it a little strategically.

Woke up at 195.8. Much better place weightwise.

4 Likes

Good luck in the comp man!

1 Like

Wow, very nice.

Good luck in the competition!

This is a fantastic expression. Good luck man! Looking forward to seeing the recap.

Some strong, quality work in here mate! Is the knee fully healed now? I’m just getting back at it after heart surgery, so I know the frustrations of a big set back from training! Used to train strongman myself, and did a few comps. Hoping that some day I’ll be in the position health-wise that I can again.

@TX_iron Thanks dude!

@littlesleeper Yeah, things are starting to fall back in place pretty well for the squat. I’m not going to be able to keep that amount of reps by the end of the cycle, but I’m at least getting comfortable under heavy weights again. Thanks!

@mr.v3lv3t I don’t when I got so old, haha. I’m hoping to put together a good recap.

@jpmason1985 Congrats on getting back after heart surgery dude. That’s a big step. Hoping to see you come back. The knee is healed enough. It’ll never be 100% again, and it clicks and pops and swells and hurts, but I’m good enough to still lift, run and compete, so it’s good enough for me.

1 Like

I’ll sit here and wait for a “hell Yeah” after the competition.
Good luck man.

Good luck!

Good luck at the competition

Good luck man!

Yea man. All the way!

@mortdk @duketheslaya @alex44938 @danteism @darkcop Thanks everyone!

First, the video

Time for another write-up. Bottom line is that I took second overall, and my training cycle worked out well. Hit some goals on the circus dumbbell, had a blast on some natural stones, and got to do a coin box deadlift, which was on my strongman bucket list. Oh yeah, also, I got to meet Bill Kazmaier and he gave me a trophy

so that’s pretty awesome. And he’s STILL huge

Showed up to the competition feeling strong. Didn’t deload the week of, did no weight cutting, and just treated it like an events day. Really trying to avoid peaking at this point. Without further ado, the write-up.

• Event 1: 450lb Coin Box Deadlift (axle, no straps)

As per usual with deadlift events, I did absolutely zero specific training for this event. I’m a solid deadlifter, I train ROM progression so I’m good at a variety of heights, and I have to spend so much time getting better at other things in strongman that, when I can find something to relax on, I take it.

This was a lot different than I expected it to be. The “axle” was really just a pipe fitting that went inside the coin box sleeve, and as a result it was incredibly whippy and rotated in your hands. Pretty much the opposite of an axle. In turn, the difficulty wasn’t going to be the grip, or the stiffness of the bar, but more that the coin boxes were going to sway with every rep and try to knock you on your ass. This happened to me around rep 3, and I found myself falling forward with the rep.

Beyond that though, I was able to execute my gameplan of “go deadlift”. The judge was getting on me to lock my shoulders back, and I made sure to exaggerate it a ton to avoid missing reps. Jacked up my left shoulder a touch, but it healed before the next event. I needed to beat 22 reps, I was trying to keep count, lost it, yelled “REP” and then “HOW MANY REPS?!” and still got nothing, so I just kept pulling until I ended up with 25 or 26. Good enough for first in the event.

• Event 2: 175lb Keg/200lb keg/200lb sandbag carry and over bar medley

I have 2 kegs and 1 sandbag at home, but the weights are 100, 182 and 250+ respectively, so I got creative training for this event. I have a 45lb weight vest, so first I got good with running the 100lb keg, then I got good with the 182lb keg, and then I focused on doing runs with the 182lb keg while wearing the vest. All my sandbag training was built around just working on the pick up of my heavy sandbag, and that was honestly to get me better at stones.

This strategy DID work, and I was very fast with the kegs, but in retrospect I shoulda practice my loading more, because that is where I ended up being weak. I manhandled the kegs, but I had a poor starting grip on the sandbag, and trying to muscle it over the bar was no go. Had to reset and re-attempt. Slight consolidation is that I missed first place by 9 seconds, so I still wouldn’t have made it even without the fumble, but I know how to do it better.

For one of those “game day” factors you never consider; while training picking up the sandbag, I always did it on a level floor. At the show, they had stacked the sandbag all the way on the end of a horse stall mat, which made it so that the sandbag was on one level while my feet were on another. Just something I never thought to worry about. I’ll probably practice some “poor placement picks” in the future.

• Event 3: 225lb Log clean and press once, 125lb Circus Dumbbell clean and press each rep

This is the event I had the most anxiety over, because I’m awful with the circus dumbbell. I spent a lot of time drilling the technique with it to get better, and got as many tips as I could from @Alpha 's video. For the log, my secret strategy was to get strong/good enough to viper press the log, so that I’d have more time to work on the dumbbell.

My log strategy sorta worked. The log at this competition was a BEAST. Lots of folks failed to press it, and when I tried to viper a weight I had hit for multiple reps in training first thing in the morning, it was ugly. Couldn’t tell you what made this log suck so much; must be some sort of balance issue.

That said, I still got the fastest rep on the log in my weight class, and so I took my time when I approached the circus dumbbell. I was the only one to press the log at this point, so I was already ahead in my field, but I also knew that the guy currently in first place was a monster at the circus dumbbell, so I had to get set up well but also move quickly enough to get in some reps. The first rep I was set up very solid and it moved smoothly. Set it down, went for a second, not as good a set-up but still got it down. It hit the floor, I heard “10 seconds left” and figured “f**k it”, grabbed it, got an awful set-up and just brute forced it up into lockout. It was like a combination dumbbell and side press, but right before time ran out I got the rep. I still got beat in the end, but I was super amped about this performance. Last year, I only managed 1, and it was by pure luck. With more time, I coulda gotten even more reps today. The training cycle paid off.

• Event 4: Natural stone medley (215, 225, 265, 285)

Here was another even I was amped about. I don’t have natural stones to train on, so I spent all my time picking up my sandbag and training my stone of steel, figuring that the two of those would combine into something worthwhile.

I had no strategy with these particular stones, and just sorta figured it out as I went. The weights weren’t bad, but you had to figure out where they were heavy and how they wanted to get picked up. Each time I’d grab the stone, I’d have to take a few seconds to sorta “learn” it and then try to set it up. The third stone was a mankiller among the field, as it was very long and flat compared to the others. The final stone did NOT want to get picked up, and you had to sorta roll it into your lap, turn it around, sweep in from the stop and lay it on the platform. I did well for myself with only one fumble, and missed first place by 3 seconds, which was painful. I DID take pride in the fact that I didn’t need wide receiver gloves to pull this off, nor did I need to complain to the promoter when he said “no wide receiver gloves” until he eventually reversed his decision. Come on folks; gloves on a natural stone? What the hell is the point?

• Event 5: Power Stairs 300lbs/350lbs/375lbs

I trained for this one a little bit with my swing handle, but eventually I just got fed up with it and figured what would happen would happen. This really wasn’t a technical show, and I figured being strong would get me pretty far.

I handled this better than last year, and did a solid job of letting my quads push the implement forward. I had a stumble at the end that sucked, bruised up my thumb and opened up a callous in my hand, but otherwise I did about as well as I expected. Something in the realm of 22 seconds, which was good enough for second.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

This went well. The guy who took first is a solid dude, trained by his pro-strongman dad and part of a group of awesome strongman competitors. Being able to beat him in 1 event was awesome, and coming close on a few others was solid. I overcame the circus dumbbell, and plan to never do it again until they next time I have to. The time on the log paid off. I need to work on my loading, but lapping is solid. With a new competition coming up in July, I’m going to keep up the momentum I have established.

26 Likes

Just wanted to throw up some more photos from the event.

Group shot of Kaz making us all look small

Single shot of Kaz making me look small

Trophy in my trophy room/storage closet. It’s too tall to fit in with the others, so it’s currently laying down.

20 Likes

Very nice man! I enjoyed every bit of that. Sounds like you had a great time!

nice work man