Rebirth of the Juggernaut: Brute Force and Ignorance (Part 1)

Fair enough. Do you still bring it through in some comps? my last comp was fairly lax with it, only full arm extension was required. Others though it was a no-rep unless the head was all the way through.

I make eye contact with the judge, which tends to give me the rep. If you see my most recent video I posted, itā€™s about as much as I bring the head through. Iā€™ve never understood the weird turtle thing that is super popular with overhead pressing, but everyone says itā€™s supposed to give you a super strong press. My shoulder is so all kinds of jacked up that any way I can get the bar overhead is a good way for me, haha.

1 Like

God call. & considering a lot of guys have jacked shoulders, I guess thatā€™s probably why some judges arenā€™t sticklers about it.

Well now you have my attention lol.

@TX_iron yeah, thereā€™s lots of ways to work around being jacked up, and itā€™s good to know them. That ā€œeye contactā€ trick was something I picked up on my 4th contest or so. I still donā€™t do a full on standing incline press, but I donā€™t shove my head forward like you see weightlifters do on a jerk.

2 Likes

DELOAD

Circus dumbbell clean and press
1x85
1x105
1x115
2x1x120
3x1x125

Log Viper Grace (30 reps of 135)
5 minutes and 30 seconds

Notes: Deload week, but I donā€™t want to lose my touch on the CDB. Iā€™m finding the balance between technique and strength on it, and letting myself ā€œmuscle f**kā€ the bell up at this point, a term I read in a recent article that I thought was a great description.
God I hate this implement, and like an idiot Iā€™m just going to quit training it as soon as this competition is over. Iā€™m learning that I genuinely donā€™t care about being the greatest strongman; I just want to be strong. That said, itā€™s still a fun sport.

Log Grace was a dumb idea that popped in my head this week. Viper technique is really squared away.

Helped spot/load at a local powerlifting meet yesterday, so I may be a little more beat up than usual.

Woke up at 197.0

4 Likes

When will you know?

I already am strong, but I am saying that being strong is the goal; not being good.

Ok, so youve already met your goal(s)ā€¦?

Whatā€™s next?

Keep getting stronger until I break, then stop, get old, read more and be at peace.

6 Likes

Sorry to keep asking questions, your viewpoint just fascinates me bc itā€™s the other end of the spectrum that Iā€™m fighting for, i.e. longevity in asthetics and performance.

But I enjoy training and the journey. I think Iā€™ve read before that you dont, and I get it.

So when do you anticipate youā€™ll hang it up and move to the Lazyboy and pound copious Panda Expressā€¦?

5 years?
10 years?

You must have thought about your ā€˜after lifeā€™ in some detail. I got to know.

1 Like

No worries dude. My go to would actually be nachos, haha. I enjoy Panda, but itā€™s more the Mrs. cheat of choice and Iā€™m willing to join her on that.

It really is going to be as I said; once Iā€™ve pushed myself too hard and got broken beyond repair. When Iā€™m not progressing but instead simply fighting to reduce the speed Iā€™m regressing, Iā€™m done. I see no joy in that. Thereā€™s no timeline for it; itā€™ll happen when it happens, and from there Iā€™ll pick up pursuits where I CAN progress.

I want to be grandfatherly when I am a grandfather. I want to be old, wise, and hedonistic.

6 Likes

Great planā€¦

Ha Ha Ha. Best conversation on here.

When I was in Junior High, a teacher wrote in my autograph book (for graduation) that I was the smartest kid she knew in the school (not noteworthy of course). But, her hope was that someday, I would also be wise. (damn, Iā€™m still impressed that a Junior High teacher wrote that)

Forty plus years later, she is still one of my favorite people in my memories.

Some cool thoughts in here. Stop it, this is a meathead forum!

1 Like

Hey Pwnisher, I justed started doing touch and go deadlifts regularely for the first time. Since I know you utilize mainly t&g in your deadlift training I thought you might be a good person to ask questions.
Do you use t&g even in low rep sets? Next week I am supposed to do a 3 x 3 and I am unsure if I should do it from a dead stop or t&g.

@losthog Itā€™s pretty much codified self-destruction, but considering my familyā€™s history with that, Iā€™m alright with it, haha.

@punnyguy Sounds like a pretty awesome teacher.

@Koestrizer I use them for low and high reps. I pretty much only pull dead stop when forced to. Iā€™ll occasionally throw them into a program when I get a wild hair, but I get much stronger when I pull touch and go.

PM WORKOUT

250+lb Sandbag pick up and carry
20 seconds on/10 seconds off for 10 rounds

Notes: Iā€™m getting much better at this. Not nearly as exhausted when itā€™s over compared to where I used to be. That said, sandbag is leaking out the top a little, so Iā€™ll do a little surgery on it this weekend.

Woke up at 195.8. Iā€™m letting my weight drop a little so that I donā€™t have to worry about evening weigh ins. Will keep letting it drop until my fitness test in May, then try to re-add some quality weight.

4 Likes

AM WORKOUT

Axle bench press
5xAxle
5x136
5x186
5x226
5x261
12x296
15x226

GB lat pulldowns 90
5x12

Band pull aparts
8x20

DB curls 40
5x10

Circus dumbbell
1x85
1x105
1x115
1x120
2 attempts 125
2x105

Lateral raises 10
1x50

Kroc rows 105
1x21

Notes: Back to this style of training. Getting in a lot more assistance work. Was doing Giant sets of pull down, pull apart and bench, then supersetting bench and curls, then curls and circus dumbbell, then pull aparts and circus dumbbell. Lateral raises and kroc rows for a finisher. Hitting those circus dumbbells under this state of fatigue was interesting. It really forced me to employ some solid technique to get the bell moving, and it was the smoothest itā€™s been all cycle. My triceps were too fried by the time I got to 125, but it flew off my shoulder just fine. Good for confidence.

No weigh in this morning.

4 Likes

AM WORKOUT

(7) Texas deadlift bar touch and go deadlifts
5x135+chains
5x225+chains
3x315+chains
1x405+chains
12+3+4x535+chains
17x445+chains

Dips
4x25

Standing ab wheel
4x8

Band pull apart
1x50

Notes: Accidentally started the cycle too high; forgot I was doing 6 week cycles instead of 7. This is closer to comp height anyway, so Iā€™ll just skip a mat during one of these weekā€™s cycles. Intended to hit some front squats, but had to deal with slight family emergency. Planning on hitting them this afternoon. Otherwise a decent workout.

Woke up at 197.0.

6 Likes

Hope everything is well brother!

Appreciate it dude! All is well; just one of those moments where I needed to be there.

Got the front squats done. One big dropset.

3x315
5x275
7x225
9x185
11x135

Biggest obstacle was being unable to breathe after the second rep due to being sick and having a barbell crushing my windpipe. Oh yeah, and also having not front squatted in about a year.

9 Likes